News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

trainplane3

Pictures from today
Some additional pictures from BM:
They caught what look like micro-cells going up:
polynesian-village-resort-crossbeam-removal-nov022020-1-2.jpg

Bocabear

nothing says "Moana" more than a big plain brown box... I know there will be a new gabled roof over the porte cochere, but the rest of the structure will be diminished in terms of architectural decor...Smaller section of cross beams not extending all the way across the roofline just looks haphazard and unfinished... Is there a real reason to do this?

nicb88

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
With regards to the buildings: Aotearoa, Tuvalu, and Fiji have had their rooms stripped of all furnishings. But no major demolition/construction yet.

Visit it at night each empty room is lit up like the sun and AC blasting (windows condensation from the cold) with no work being done. (lots of wasted energy Disney)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
With regards to the buildings: Aotearoa, Tuvalu, and Fiji have had their rooms stripped of all furnishings. But no major demolition/construction yet.

Visit it at night each empty room is lit up like the sun and AC blasting (windows condensation from the cold) with no work being done. (lots of wasted energy Disney)
Perhaps they are testing the AC Units? :joyfull:

_caleb

Whereas the look of that room has. I’m getting a much stronger ’80s vibe than I am a Polynesian one, which just goes to show that theming has never fully eclipsed the tastes of the day.
Yeah, I noticed that. Which sort of provides some context to the staid, minimalistic (some might say boring) approach we've seen in recent hotels/Disney Springs refurbs. Maybe they've always been more "this decade's take on the theme" than "Disney's definitive and timeless take on the theme."

UNCgolf

Yeah, I noticed that. Which sort of provides some context to the staid, minimalistic (some might say boring) approach we've seen in recent hotels/Disney Springs refurbs. Maybe they've always been more "this decade's take on the theme" than "Disney's definitive and timeless take on the theme."

Almost all of the Disney resorts opened in a roughly 15 year period encompassing the late 80s through early 2000s. I think most of them were designed with a specific theme beyond just the tastes of their opening date. That's especially true in the areas of the resort beyond the rooms themselves, which is really the biggest thing to me -- although the rooms should also have theming, of course.

Disney seems to be going in the direction of minimizing not only the theming of the rooms themselves, but the theming of the lobbies and other resort areas. It'll be interesting to see what the Polynesian looks like when they're finished with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom