New Evolv AI security scanners & bag-check procedures implemented at the parks

techgeek

This leaves MK bus entrance, monorail resorts, and water parks remaining with old style security.

Er, obviously water parks haven’t been open for the duration... but I don’t recall any active security at all at water park entrances prior to this year. No metal detectors or formal bag check. The entrance flow might need to be reworked a little to accommodate the new detectors there, things are pretty tight at the gate especially at Typhoon.

Journey_On

Added Disney Springs to the OP List.

Hearing rumors of Evolv installations at the TTC, but waiting for further confirmation.

This leaves MK bus entrance, monorail resorts, and water parks remaining with old style security.
We went to MK last night and the Evolv Express scanners at TTC were in place. :D Sorry, no pictures, feel weird about taking pictures at security areas. Now all 4 WDW parks have them (woo hoo!).

Tazer19

Does anyone know about going through these with implanted medical devices?? My mom has a pacemaker and I have an insulin pump and implanted continuous glucose monitor that neither of us can go through X-ray or body scanners (makes for good times with TSA at the airport 🙄). When I go to DLR, I bypass the x-ray and security does a pat-down and I indicate where my devices are implanted. I tried looking these devices up on the Evolv website and found NADA and my search other searches didn't turn up anything either.
Not sure if you received a firm answer on this. If so hopefully what we’ve heard matches up. I also have a pump and a CGM. The little I’ve found points to this being similar to the airport body scanner. Dexcom rep called me today and gave me the company line about the G6 not being tested and therefore I should avoid them. Tandem hasn’t called about the pump, but I’m assuming the same answer.

Mike730

Original Poster
Er, obviously water parks haven’t been open for the duration... but I don’t recall any active security at all at water park entrances prior to this year. No metal detectors or formal bag check. The entrance flow might need to be reworked a little to accommodate the new detectors there, things are pretty tight at the gate especially at Typhoon.
I'm remembering a bag check at Typhoon Lagoon but the memories could easily be crossed with the other parks. I would be surprised if they haven't been checking bags at all though.

Mike730

Original Poster
BlogMickey reports that it is more than just the TTC:

"Magic Kingdom has finally joined the other three Walt Disney World theme parks in implementing the new Evolv security screening devices at the Transportation and Ticket Center and Magic Kingdom-area hotel checkpoints"

Can anyone verify? Does this include the bus drop-off security?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Sorry, no pictures, feel weird about taking pictures at security areas.
Agent Kyle approved this message.
1605192260066.png

NelleBelle

Not sure if you received a firm answer on this. If so hopefully what we’ve heard matches up. I also have a pump and a CGM. The little I’ve found points to this being similar to the airport body scanner. Dexcom rep called me today and gave me the company line about the G6 not being tested and therefore I should avoid them. Tandem hasn’t called about the pump, but I’m assuming the same answer.
I looked on another forum and someone there knew that it was a millimeter wave scanner. Knowing that I was able to find on Dexcom's site to avoid scanners using that technology (the body scanners at the airport are millimeter wave scanners). So I'm definitely out for sure (I always get privately screened at the airport and tend to peeve some of the TSA officers off when I tell them my Dexcom supplies cannot go through the X-ray). Hopefully the process of checking/clearing us doesn't take long--if I were going with my DH and boys, I'd hand them my bag and just have them check my "attachments". Half the time at DLR, they just had me hug myself and bend over or they'd gently pat my arm and infusion site. But my mom will not be able to go through with her pacemaker either. Oh well, will be a different experience and should be a lot shorter overall. Thanks for the info you learned from Dexcom! I kept meaning to post back here about what I found out (it literally was just a few days ago)! 😁

Tazer19

I looked on another forum and someone there knew that it was a millimeter wave scanner. Knowing that I was able to find on Dexcom's site to avoid scanners using that technology (the body scanners at the airport are millimeter wave scanners). So I'm definitely out for sure (I always get privately screened at the airport and tend to peeve some of the TSA officers off when I tell them my Dexcom supplies cannot go through the X-ray). Hopefully the process of checking/clearing us doesn't take long--if I were going with my DH and boys, I'd hand them my bag and just have them check my "attachments". Half the time at DLR, they just had me hug myself and bend over or they'd gently pat my arm and infusion site. But my mom will not be able to go through with her pacemaker either. Oh well, will be a different experience and should be a lot shorter overall. Thanks for the info you learned from Dexcom! I kept meaning to post back here about what I found out (it literally was just a few days ago)
Glad we found the same info. I’m hoping Disney can share consistent messaging on this to avoid confusion. Despite me carrying a TSA card for my equipment, it seems like half of the employees believe they are experts and want me to go through the scanner to avoid the pat down.

TrainsOfDisney

Shouldn’t there be signage explaining who should and shouldn’t go through the scanners?

(This is in reply to the above messages regarding medical devices).

muddyrivers

I'm thrilled to see the parks implement scanners that not only allows everyone to walk through it rather than randomly selecting certain individuals, but also allows scanning to be done quickly so there is no longer a huge bottleneck at security.

Looking forward to seeing these in person in the hopefully not so distant future! :D

DisneyTransport

I'm thrilled to see the parks implement scanners that not only allows everyone to walk through it rather than randomly selecting certain individuals, but also allows scanning to be done quickly so there is no longer a huge bottleneck at security.

Looking forward to seeing these in person in the hopefully not so distant future! :D
The first time i walked through them i was like WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SO COOL😂

pixie225

Shouldn’t there be signage explaining who should and shouldn’t go through the scanners?

(This is in reply to the above messages regarding medical devices).
Definitely should be. When we cruise, there are signs posted as we get back on the ship stating that no pacemakers should go through the scanners. Same with some amusement parks - 6 Flags, etc.

lifeguard1020

I looked on another forum and someone there knew that it was a millimeter wave scanner. Knowing that I was able to find on Dexcom's site to avoid scanners using that technology (the body scanners at the airport are millimeter wave scanners). So I'm definitely out for sure (I always get privately screened at the airport and tend to peeve some of the TSA officers off when I tell them my Dexcom supplies cannot go through the X-ray). Hopefully the process of checking/clearing us doesn't take long--if I were going with my DH and boys, I'd hand them my bag and just have them check my "attachments". Half the time at DLR, they just had me hug myself and bend over or they'd gently pat my arm and infusion site. But my mom will not be able to go through with her pacemaker either. Oh well, will be a different experience and should be a lot shorter overall. Thanks for the info you learned from Dexcom! I kept meaning to post back here about what I found out (it literally was just a few days ago)! 😁
I've got an implant in my brain that shocks to control my seizures. The rep told me to avoid these things at all costs They said because there hasn't been independant, detailed studies (or enough information by the company itself) they think that it might have the ability to mess up the programing or even turn it off completely. That wouldn't really be all that great for my ability to be alive.

LastoneOn

It sounds like there really needs to be a dedicated “no scanner” lane for people who can’t or don’t wish to go through them. You shouldn’t have to explain your medical history to a want-to-be cop in order to visit a theme park.
Probably will be.

And don't disparage the security and checkpoint CMs. Not everyone that does the job is a wannabe, or reject etc. It's work, it's a paycheck, it feeds the family.

Tazer19

It sounds like there really needs to be a dedicated “no scanner” lane for people who can’t or don’t wish to go through them. You shouldn’t have to explain your medical history to a want-to-be cop in order to visit a theme park.
To answer the previous question, the signage at the airport, which uses similar technology, is limited. It doesn’t discuss medical devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors. I’m sure there are other, just as important devices, that can’t go through.

It would be great if they allowed for a separate opt out line. I can tell you from personal experience that it’s really fun traveling with 4 year old through the “normal line” when dad has to wait 10-15 mins for a pat down after opting out and we are stuck at TSA for longer. Then once it starts they won’t allow her close to me, but also won’t bring over a second agent to hang with her. This happened both ways of trip with just the two of us last year. The separate line you suggest would ensure pat down trained employees are readily available and would better set expectations.

Marc Davis Fan

The separate line you suggest would ensure pat down trained employees are readily available and would better set expectations.

I think this will be the next interesting problem they'll have to work out.

If people don't want to go through the scanners, or cannot go through the scanners, would they ever actually implement "pat downs" as an alternative? Has Disney ever used "pat downs" as part of its "alternative security" protocol?

With the metal detector system, I believe that people using wheelchairs (for example) basically just bypassed the metal detectors and the guards just took a very cursory look around them (e.g., under the chair, etc).

Perhaps the efficiency of this new system will permit/persuade Disney to implement a more effective alternative for people who don't/won't go through it?

I could see a lot of bad press if people claimed that the "pat downs" were too invasive, etc. I'm sure that would be Disney's main concern about implementing them.

Does anyone involved with security know if there is an effective alternative to "pat downs" that's used anywhere?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom