The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

smooch

Every time I sit down to play it I realize how woefully uncreative I am, and all my buildings end up looking like brick blocks and not at all realistic. I go in with grand ambitions of perfectly recreating Disneyland (which is actually plausible, since many of the buildings kits are direct knockoffs of Disneyland's buildings and attraction vehicle designs)- but give up before I finish Main Street Station.

Also, the pathing system in every 'Theme Park Tycoon' style game I've played bugs me, since it's not at all like how paths in actual theme parks look.
I have the same problem. I have the Xbox Game Pass on PC and have downloaded Planet Coaster but every time I play I can't end up making anything remotely resembling a theme park. Same with Cities Skylines, I am just really bad at those types of games, which is disappointing as growing up my brothers and I played the old Zoo Tycoon and Rollercoaster Tycoon games religiously.
Much of Disneyland's area music is licensed, and was either released on various LP's and never released to the public digitally- or is actually available to download on Amazon. I've been working on acquiring the Main Street Christmas loop (though not all of it is available to purchase digitally).

This site does a wonderful job compiling where Disney got all the music from- and I've been enjoying buying everything I can, to the point my Disneyland Music collection is quite extensive (but far from complete).

Right now the dilemma is deciding whether or not it's worth buying "Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection" (about $30 on ebay) since it's the only place Captain Eo's "We Are Here To Change The World" has been released.

More recently, Disney has been releasing old LP's -that hadn't seen daylight in decades- digitally.

Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland
Echoes of Disneyland
Walt Disney's The Enchanted Tiki Room / Adventerous Jungle Cruise
I have actually been looking into grabbing a vinyl of Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland to add to my Disney park record collection. I have PotC and IASW along with the Haunted House sound effects record. Obviously a small collection currently, but my record spending money has gone to other albums from bands I am into that have been releasing new music.

smooch

I found this interesting Wisecrack video I thought I'd share that talks about Disney's system of buying fairy tales and stripping them of their actual lessons and darker elements and in turn usually doing the exact opposite of the original author's intent. Very very interesting, not something entirely new as a concept to probably most people here, but it's a very well done video. I think I saw some Lindsay Ellis videos on similar topics (or a different YouTuber, I could be completely wrong but for some reason I think she has made a video about a specific movie or two) but it is still a good watch nonetheless.

SuddenStorm

I have the same problem. I have the Xbox Game Pass on PC and have downloaded Planet Coaster but every time I play I can't end up making anything remotely resembling a theme park. Same with Cities Skylines, I am just really bad at those types of games, which is disappointing as growing up my brothers and I played the old Zoo Tycoon and Rollercoaster Tycoon games religiously.

I have actually been looking into grabbing a vinyl of Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland to add to my Disney park record collection. I have PotC and IASW along with the Haunted House sound effects record. Obviously a small collection currently, but my record spending money has gone to other albums from bands I am into that have been releasing new music.

They did a limited vinyl re release of Walt Disney Takes You To disneyland like 5 or 6 years ago- it was only like $25 in the park. I got it, and will never open it. It'll look nice framed eventually.

I have a bootleg high quality rip of the original LP, as well as the official Disney digital release (which wasn't available 5 years ago). It's a really charming record, even if it's a tad depressing to listen to these days.

Rich T

I loved RCT 1 and 2, Planet Coaster was too complicated for me. I got a game called Parkitect that someone recommended on here and I like it a lot more than Planet coaster because it's 2D and not 3D.
The console version of Planet Coaster is a big step toward making the game more accessible, with a really entertaining tutorial and a ton of pre-build shops and scenery to quickly create good-looking parks. So far I’m having a blast, but... that camera... Controlling the camera can go from smooth-as-butter to alligator wrestling in the blink of an eye. The on-ride POVs make up for it, though. :D

Love tbe look of Parkitect and even bought & downloaded it... and my PC said, “Hey, buddy, I just process words, awright?” and froze. But I do want to try Parkitect again when I have *something* that can run it. :D

Rich T

CE15D0F8-7870-497A-BF18-2578179E4D88.png

A couple hours in, my first try at designing my own Planet Coaster park is looking like an underfunded junior college, but my crew has faith in the future...
9ED2D89E-2B93-4209-B813-0CC7C0177DF5.png

91JLovesDisney

More and more, I’m finding I’m not rich enough for Disney, period. I like to get my money’s worth and I don’t much care for most of what Iger/Chapek-era Diz is pedaling from its mouse-eared snakeoil cart these days.
I mean this is just a random thought page... I could have been lying 😆

SuddenStorm

Are you even in the esplanade if they re not playing “Golden Afternoon.”

I feel like I always hear Fantasmic and Soarin'.

One of my minor nitpicks of the most recent esplanade loop is that it was playing songs that were the actual in park versions of those songs. The Zip a Dee Doo Dah was the exact one that played on Splash, Soarin' was literally the Soarin' track, and the Fantasmic! exit music was literally the one that used to play after the show.

It's a minor thing- but I think any version of a song that's used in a ride/area music in the parks should only be used on that ride or in that land on Disney property. Record different versions of the songs for use in the esplanade.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I feel like I always hear Fantasmic and Soarin'.

One of my minor nitpicks of the most recent esplanade loop is that it was playing songs that were the actual in park versions of those songs. The Zip a Dee Doo Dah was the exact one that played on Splash, Soarin' was literally the Soarin' track, and the Fantasmic! exit music was literally the one that used to play after the show.

It's a minor thing- but I think any version of a song that's used in a ride/area music in the parks should only be used on that ride or in that land on Disney property. Record different versions of the songs for use in the esplanade.

I don’t mind them but I can appreciate the sentiment.

lazyboy97o

So long as the weather holds, the US will again have an active manned space flight program in less than two hours. Could you image Walt‘s reaction to the US having to hitch a ride on Russian rockets for nearly a decade?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom