Trip Report It was the best of times in the worst of times...

Hello All!
We're back from our October 2020 Disney trip, and a crazy time it was!

Like so many others whose trips were cancelled/delayed and changed, ours was too. A year ago before the world collapsed my husband wanted to have a big family blowout trip in November 2020. Our usual companions are my son 20, occasionally daughter 32 and her new husband. He also wanted (for whatever reason) to invite my mother and husband who profess to despise Disney, despite never having been there. His brother and wife, who live in NC and are so reluctant to travel they don't know the restaurants in their own town. He wanted to invite my sister, her husband and son, that he doesn't really spend any time with.🤷‍♀️ I said, "whatever dude" you invite and I'll figure it out.

Invitations went out and 2020 arrived. Our 2020 like many others has been a big pile of 💩 with one shining exception. So, I'm going to list from January to now in a purposely run-on sentence (paragraph) to get the years crap mentioned here and out of the way. It's meant to read fast and forget. The reason I'm going to go into our family's woes is some of this impacted our trip planning/scheduling.

January Scooby (our crazy loving dog) had to be put down and it was very traumatic February Gary's cancer worsened (those of you that have read my other reports know he is fighting stage 4 colon cancer) and they had to increase his chemo Gary gets both cataracts out right before Covid hits February I schedule the Poly for a crap ton of people that of course aren't coming March Seth gets kicked out of his college dorm in Savannah with the Covid shut down and in 48 hours finds an apartment we drive down 12 hours with a Uhaul trailer with donated furniture to help set him up looking like the Beverly hillbillies Aleisha my oldest gets laid off from her job as an interior designer in California due to Covid April we start volunteering at the local food bank because increasing volumes of people are hungry May Aleisha gets her job back and then looses it again due to Covid July I fall in the yard fracturing in multiple pieces my right (dominant) wrist requiring surgery September the day my daughter and her husband are getting ready to put a down payment on a house in California he gets laid off from his job as a lawyer due to Covid.

What, you say, could possibly be the shining exception? In the middle of that mess in April Aleisha and Julio called to tell us that we will be first time grandparents mid December! We're going to have a baby girl!

So, all of that crazy above resulted in my daughter and husband bailing on us for the November trip, and of course none of those in-laws, outlaws etc. were ever going to come, so we rearranged dates around my sons school schedule and planned for a trip in October, and said pooh to the rest of the invitees!

The people who actually ended up going were: Myself-Cindy, Husband-Gary, Son-Seth, Seth's friend from school-John
When: October 21-26th
Where: 1 night Rivera 1 bedroom Villa, and 4 nights at the Polynesian in a Bungalow
IMG_5556.JPG

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Day 2 continued-

Gary and I took our time wandering out of Japan and I grabbed a few photos on the way out.
IMG_5070.JPG

And check out this guy/bird man hiding back in the bushes.
I get so annoyed with myself for not taking the time to slow down and appreciate these hidden gems, to quit taking pictures and really look at stuff.
I also noticed that there are things I don't "see" till later when I am looking at photos. This bird guy is a perfect example.
Let's ask the expert, is that some kind of photography phenomena @fractal? Or a brain only able to do one thing at a time?

IMG_5071.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

The guys caught up with us somewhere around Germany. John had mentioned that he was here only one time before but he didn't get to see a lot. So I was trying to make sure if there was something he wanted to do we would go there. But, I think everyone was getting to that "I dunno" place. Probably a combination of the heat and their very late arrival. So I decided to call it, and we headed back to the Skyliner to ride back to the Riviera and get Seth's car.

But as we were exiting I ran into the world traveler store hoping to find an item I had been searching for.
Ah hah! Success. It's the Mickey Skyliner Pop I had wanted.
The other Pops in the picture were bought for me by Seth for my birthday and Christmas! He works part time at HotTopic while he's in school and if there are Mickey ones he picks them up for me. I knew about the 2 50th ones, but he surprised me with the Disneyland and the Halloween one! He brought them along to give me since we aren't sure when we're going to see each other again.:(
IMG_5956.JPG

IMG_5927.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

I really like the Skyliner, can you tell?!

Next up, we move to the Polynesian and a bunch of resort and bungalow pictures I hope you will enjoy!

fractal

Day 2 continued-

Gary and I took our time wandering out of Japan and I grabbed a few photos on the way out.
View attachment 512008

And check out this guy/bird man hiding back in the bushes.
I get so annoyed with myself for not taking the time to slow down and appreciate these hidden gems, to quit taking pictures and really look at stuff.
I also noticed that there are things I don't "see" till later when I am looking at photos. This bird guy is a perfect example.
Let's ask the expert, is that some kind of photography phenomena @fractal? Or a brain only able to do one thing at a time?

View attachment 512009

View attachment 512013

View attachment 512014

The guys caught up with us somewhere around Germany. John had mentioned that he was here only one time before but he didn't get to see a lot. So I was trying to make sure if there was something he wanted to do we would go there. But, I think everyone was getting to that "I dunno" place. Probably a combination of the heat and their very late arrival. So I decided to call it, and we headed back to the Skyliner to ride back to the Riviera and get Seth's car.

But as we were exiting I ran into the world traveler store hoping to find an item I had been searching for.
Ah hah! Success. It's the Mickey Skyliner Pop I had wanted.
The other Pops in the picture were bought for me by Seth for my birthday and Christmas! He works part time at HotTopic while he's in school and if there are Mickey ones he picks them up for me. I knew about the 2 50th ones, but he surprised me with the Disneyland and the Halloween one! He brought them along to give me since we aren't sure when we're going to see each other again.:(
View attachment 512021

View attachment 512023

View attachment 512015

I really like the Skyliner, can you tell?!

Next up, we move to the Polynesian and a bunch of resort and bungalow pictures I hope you will enjoy!

It happens to me often. I find things in photos I didn't observe live. One example - in SSE the living room scene with the family watching TV - did you know there's a MouseTrap game behind the sofa? I didn't until a viewed this photo I took.

_DSC0669-X3.jpg

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
But, I think everyone was getting to that "I dunno" place.
This really annoys me. This and “I don’t care”. If you don’t care, why did I bring you?
I am planning a short trip for my oldest and his GF as a xmas gift. I am planning.
Me: “Where do you want to stay?”
Son: “i dunno”
“What parks?”
“I dunno”
And so on and so on...
Anyhow, I am planning a great trip! Too bad I cant go.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
This really annoys me. This and “I don’t care”. If you don’t care, why did I bring you?
I am planning a short trip for my oldest and his GF as a xmas gift. I am planning.
“What parks?”
“I dunno”
And so on and so on...

You are such an awesome mom!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
“What parks?”
“I dunno”
And so on and so on...

If they don't want the trip I'll take it. I have opinions on what I want to do.
Example:
Dar: Where do you want to eat?
Me: Baseline Tap House

Dar: What do you want to drink?
Me: Beer at the Baseline Tap House

Dar: What do you want to ride?
Me: The barstool at Baseline Tap House.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
It happens to me often. I find things in photos I didn't observe live. One example - in SSE the living room scene with the family watching TV - did you know there's a MouseTrap game behind the sofa? I didn't until a viewed this photo I took.

_DSC0669-X3.jpg
Not only have I never seen that, but I also would not have recognized the game! 🤣

Last edited:

MickeyCB

Original Poster
It makes sense to me that we are able to see things in photos that we don’t necessarily see “live” as there is so much more information coming at us. At least that’s my theory 😉
I agree, but I annoy myself because I say, "now put your phone down and just take it in", then I see something cool, and out comes the phone!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
“What parks?”
“I dunno”
And so on and so on...
And then my favorite of all, after all of those input seeking questions, is when you get there and you hear, "why aren't we doing x or eating at Y"?! :mad:

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Day 2, moving day, continued-

We got back to the Riviera and piled into Seth's car and headed over to the Poly.
The main entrance of the Great Ceremonial House is closed due to construction and the temporary check in has been moved to the Pago Pago building. It is very underwhelming. But since we did the online check in we had already received notice of our room/bungalow number 7008, and it was ready so we didn't stop at check in.
I had to implore the guys who were very anxious to go ahead of us and see the room to keep their stuff outside till I could take some room pictures. With some grumbling they complied.
This is headed towards the bungalows. A pretty and welcoming first site. You can just see the tip of the castle over one of the bungalows roofs.
IMG_5082.JPG

Never did figure out what the cones were there for.
IMG_5085.JPG

The bungalow to the right is the one we stayed in. And ironically when we bought into DVC at the Poly we were assigned "unit 4" which happens to be bungalow numbers 7 and 8. So we were assigned a bungalow for this trip that we actually "own"!🤣
During one of the days during our vacation I tripped on a nasty splinter sticking up from the deck in front of our door and I took it home. I told Gary it was our 0.6% share of the bungalow we owned!
IMG_5087.JPG

I apologize because I took a ton of room photos. I'll blame @Darstarr who said to take a bunch!
This is the entrance hallway.
IMG_5126.JPG

The master bedroom. The far door on the left leads out to the wrap around deck.
IMG_5098.JPG

I love this lamp so much. Not your normal lamp I realize. Several years ago I bought one from the store at the resort. It goes perfectly in my "Polynesian living room"!
IMG_5097.JPG

Master bathroom, shower and potty.
IMG_5101.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5103.JPG

And while it is super cool, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but who watches tv in the bathroom? It's magically in the mirror!
IMG_5106.JPG

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Bungalow photos continued-

In the master bathroom were lots of souvenirs!!
IMG_5107.JPG

I have more from inside, but I couldn't wait to step out on the deck. These next 3 pictures are actually from an early morning on the deck, because the pano I took to take in the whole view when we arrived will not load on here. It is an amazing view with the Grand Floridian to the left, MK to the front, and to the right is where the large boats dock at the TTC.
IMG_5751.JPG

IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

On the deck we were greeted by not one but 3 of these signs!:eek: And I don't even want to know why, but all along the deck outside of the railings is a piece of plexiglass that lines the deck on the water side. Those were not there in 2015.
IMG_5115.JPG

Seth and John were like 2 kids touching all of the buttons, etc. There is a little pool? thing on one side of the deck and apparently an unlabeled button. As John was standing there initially with his back to us he said, "I wonder what this does", and 2 inches from his head water poured down from a shower he hadn't seen there!
IMG_5122.JPG

There's even a phone on the deck that I'm not a hundred percent sure what you use it for.
IMG_5123.JPG

And around the side of the deck, that leads to the door of the master bedroom are 2 neat swing chairs that I have never seen anyone sit in. This is a place that you really need to add a resort day into your schedule.
I did tell @riverside if they had arrived 2 days earlier we could have had a nice little party there! J could swim in the mini pool and we could have a drink and watch the pretend fireworks from the deck!!
IMG_5124.JPG

Back inside, this is the 2nd bedroom. It has a queen and a little pulldown bed with everyone's favorites Lilo and Stitch!
IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5782.JPG

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Bungalow pictures continued (sorry I took so many)!-

This is the kitchen/dining area viewed from the living room.
IMG_5113.JPG

And the living area, viewed from the kitchen. It also has a little cute pull down bed. I love the picture on it. A wonderful Disney tradition that is yet another victim of covid. When we stayed here in 2015 that night parade felt like it was 10 feet outside of the deck door.

As it seems all Disney families have their "family things". Ours is the Electrical Water Pageant. We stayed at BayLake several years ago with a lake facing room. And even though my kids were probably teens and early 20's they would still tire and want to go to bed early sometimes. But, every evening around 10pm or so, doors shut or not, we got to hear the very loud music of the water pageant. And as we were watching the Jim Carrey version of Grinch in our room one night and the parade went by, Aleisha said "Blast this music, it's joyful and triumphant"!
And so every time we are at Disney and hear or see the water pageant, we say that, or if someone isn't with us we record a little, call them on the phone and play it, loudly!
IMG_5108.JPG

IMG_5781.JPG

Sorry, a few more room photos. This is the hall to the 2nd bathroom. In this hall is the washer and dryer, and to the right is the shower and another sink with more souvenirs.
IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_5092.JPG

IMG_5094.JPG

After we took the room pics, we unpacked and went and picked up our groceries we had ordered from Garden Grocer.
And we tried to use mobile order for Captain Cooks, but as our @Darstarr has now become famous for coining "eating at Disney is hard".
We ordered a few sandwiches, I think, and Seth ordered a small side of mac n cheese, I tried to order (and paid for) a regular order of mac n cheese but we got 2 small sides. A small thing, pun intended, but annoying.
Seth and John did get this monster cake thing and said it was good.
IMG_5129.JPG

After that we called it a night because we have really big plans for tomorrow. It's HS day and the question of the year, will we or won't we get a RoTR boarding pass?! Stay tuned....

Last edited:

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I apologize because I took a ton of room photos. I'll blame @Darstarr who said to take a bunch!
This is the entrance hallway.
This is the closest I will ever get to a Bungalow unless I hop those cones. Yes, @MickeyCB , the cones were put there to keep me out.
There's even a phone on the deck that I'm not a hundred percent sure what you use it for.

Thanks for all the pix. Hoped the boys were appreciative of the digs!!!

Songbird76

“What parks?”
“I dunno”
And so on and so on...
How does one NOT know what they want on a Disney trip?? I mean, I'm assuming there are certain boundaries because of budgets and time constraints, but my problem would be narrowing it down....wanting too much rather than not knowing what I want!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
How does one NOT know what they want on a Disney trip?? I mean, I'm assuming there are certain boundaries because of budgets and time constraints, but my problem would be narrowing it down....wanting too much rather than not knowing what I want!
Sorry for the hijack @MickeyCB

He has always been happy to tag along. Follow the credit card. I don’t know how he is going to handle “being the expert” when they go. And since she, basically, has never been, she will have no useful input.
They will figure it out but I don’t want it to be a disappointment. You know?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom