Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyTransport

Its why here they have tied fines to a lot of restrictions. Getting hit in the pocket book makes people listen. Its a shame that a few on here make angry faces when ever its brought up. All I say is if people would just do what is asked then they have nothing to worry about.
Uh well not everyone responds well to fines.... easiest example: speeding tickets

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Also, the idea of the government telling me who I can and cannot associate with in my own house is a bridge way too far.
What if they just tell you that you can’t see anyone?;););)

I don’t think there‘s any practical way to fine people for having family or friends over especially for a holiday. That has to be just people using good judgment. I am not opposed to fines for large parties, similar to how some towns fine people for noise ordinances or curfew violations for minors.

Jrb1979

Also, the idea of the government telling me who I can and cannot associate with in my own house is a bridge way too far.
For the most part they aren't fining you for having a few people over. They ones they are after are the ones I posted earlier, the ones that had over 20 people for a Halloween party. The ones that get in trouble are the ones that have multiple families together with a bunch of cars parked outside.

You can associate with whoever you want. They just don't want people have big parties right now. For the most part they mainly have been warning people. I don't see what the big deal is.

Heppenheimer

Uh well not everyone responds well to fines.... easiest example: speeding tickets
Probably because the enforcement is rare and up to the discretion of the officer to only pull over the worst offender.

Living in Germany for several years completely changed my driving habits. Over there (and in most of Europe), enforcement is left up to the cameras. You never know where they will pop up and they flag every single offender. Unless you want to pay for yet another unsolicited souvenir photo of yourself driving, you quickly learn to follow the speed limits (btw, only certain areas of the Autobahn have no speed limit, and even here, your speed is often limited by the flow of traffic).

If the fine is applied regularly, and consistently, then it starts to affect behavior in the desired direction. To paraphrase the old saying, if you want to discourage a behavior, fine it, if you want to encourage it, subsidize it.

rowrbazzle

What if they just tell you that you can’t see anyone?;););)

I don’t think there‘s any practical way to fine people for having family or friends over especially for a holiday. That has to be just people using good judgment. I am not opposed to fines for large parties, similar to how some towns fine people for noise ordinances or curfew violations for minors.
haha I already don't see anyone. I don't need to the government for that. 😄

I'm not in favor of those fines either. I understand it, but I think the same principle applies. I wouldn't do it, however.
Maybe this will be the rebirth of the speakeasy. The maskless speakeasy.

"DeSantis sent me..."
Oh, those already exist. I've seen stuff online for meet-ups around the city for "maskless" groups. Not with family, mind you, but just groups of like-minded people who want to get together and not wear masks.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Oh, those already exist. I've seen stuff online for meet-ups around the city for "maskless" groups. Not with family, mind you, but just groups of like-minded people who want to get together and not wear masks.
Is this a new dating app byline? "Love Kurosawa films, PNP, and maskless hijinks." Come to think of it... that could have existed pre-COVID.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't deny that my opinions on this topic are in some respects selfish. That's because I think that life is short and I want to enjoy it as much as possible while I am coherent and healthy. While we may "only" have to wait another six months for widespread distribution of a vaccine or vaccines, that will be over a year of my life that has been spent without doing things that make life living, at least at various times during the year+.
It’s not 6 months or a year living in a bunker. It’s 6 months to a year having some very specific things restricted. The vast majority of stuff people do is not completely restricted and can still be done maybe with just a different physical layout or masks or different location. I don’t feel like I’m “not living” because there’s some stuff I just need to wait to do. I get that some people disagree with that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the vaccine front HHS secretary and former chair of the coronavirus task force Alex Azar says there will be enough vaccine to vaccinate nursing home residents, healthcare workers and first responders by the end of January and enough for all Americans by the end of March or early April. Even with a little slippage in timing and the need for 2 shots 3 weeks apart it seems like the vast majority of people who want the vaccine should be able to get it well before Memorial Day and the unofficial start to summer. That would be huge for WDW and for all of us if enough people can be convinced to get it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
...and until the vaccine comes out follow this advice from our favorite Dr everyone loves or loves to hate:
Until the vaccine is available, practice Fauci's fundamentals: avoid family gatherings, wear a face mask, social distance, stay outdoors more than indoors, avoid crowds and to get through this pandemic at your healthiest
Clipped from an article discussing what we have been saying for a little while now. The current spread seems to be more linked to smaller private gatherings with no face coverings or distancing vs public exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom