Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

TrainsOfDisney

I can go to Dollywood, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and many other regional parks for a third of the cost if I only want rides.
You’ll get great entertainment as well.

Epcot has the most live entertainment with the mariachi band, jammitors, and a piano player in world showplace. That’s 3.

Dollywood has 2 period appropriate bands, a juggling show, a 50’s acapella group, and roving “streetmosphere” style characters. That’s 5 acts and they had brought in extra for the harvest festival the last few weeks.

Capt. Hook

In the Parks
No
I feel heartbroken for all the performers involved. My hope is any who wish to reprise their roles will be able to do so when this pandemic lessens and it is economically feasible to bring them back. My fear is that many will be gone permanently, and those roles won't be offered regardless of when - if the pandemic blows over. I feel terribly for all who work in theater, both on stage and behind the scenes who have had their passions and careers shattered this year. Will keep hope alive this is all temporary, and the show will go on again.

matt9112

No publicly traded company would willingly operate at break even. Their stock would suffer and hurt investors (yes, that includes mom and pops and everyday investors too).

Also companiess that make no money don't add back expensive actors and entertainment. You want all that stuff back that you love? You better hope they keep the ticket prices right where they are.

Executive bonuses don't move the bottom line that much either.

This board confused me sometimes. You want them to not let workers go, but also lower prices? You want them to bring all the fireworks and stuff back but also make even less money than they are now?

Basic economics don't work that way. Again, you want "your Disney" back? Then let's hope they keep prices where they are.
Lets hope people stop paying them after covid. Lets also hope universal keeps it up with the stellar PR compared to dis.

John Kelly

Basic business principles say you don't cut back the things that develop revenue... cutting back on the entertainment at the same price doesn't follow that logic at all. There is a large part of the market that comes for the entertainment, food and atmosphere- they never get on a ride. I would argue that they may even spend more than ride goers...so why cut that? The dining reviews I see are terrible....no entertainment to speak of. I personallly think that the pandemic is the excuse they have been looking for to retrain the consumer to accept less for the same price.

Jrb1979

Basic business principles say you don't cut back the things that develop revenue... cutting back on the entertainment at the same price doesn't follow that logic at all. There is a large part of the market that comes for the entertainment, food and atmosphere- they never get on a ride. I would argue that they may even spend more than ride goers...so why cut that? The dining reviews I see are terrible....no entertainment to speak of. I personallly think that the pandemic is the excuse they have been looking for to retrain the consumer to accept less for the same price.
Many have been saying that for awhile. For some reason many here don't either see it or don't want to hear it.

The_Jobu

Warning: whinge incoming...

Using this forum as free therapy, I am going to gripe and vent that I am getting really sick of seeing nothing but bad news every time I check in. Once in a lifetime emergency, cuts must be made, sure, I get that. But I have to be honest with myself and note that I cant even remember the last time the big wigs invested a little to increase customer experience. I dont mean automating things, making new E tickets without increasing capacity, retheming, just little investments in "the magic". Right now all I think of is revamping the Epcot entrance, and deploying extra CMs at those booths on busy days. Everything else has just been "lets squeeze a little more juice out of the parks and hope the inmates dont revolt".

I bought a non-expiring ticket pack years ago, figured it would always be a good investment, now everything just seems so meh for the future. Nothing in recent history indicates that any of these currently necessary cuts will ever be coming back.

Canada's Wonderland is literally walking distance from my house and they're trying much harder for my dollars, and I cant think of a good reason not to give it to them at this point.

[/whinge]

DisAl

Not just at Disney, but I think in general big corporate management culture has these priorities:
1 - Don't mess with my bonus.
2 - If you mess with my bonus, don't mess with my golden parachute.
3 - Don't mess with my compensation package.
And so on down to:
998 - Caring about employees.
999 - Caring about the customer.
And if you really think they care about what we think, think about how much difference a porpoise passing gas in a hurricane makes.

Animaniac93-98

3 of the 4 WDW parks have less than 10 rides [Ratatouille will be EPCOT's 10th when it opens].

These parks can't justify their high admission price without entertainment, and DHS in particular is poorly equipped to handle crowds without them.

They can spin this all they want, but it's the biggest, fastest thing they've ever done to diminish the value of the experience.

Disstevefan1

Warning: whinge incoming...

Using this forum as free therapy, I am going to gripe and vent that I am getting really sick of seeing nothing but bad news every time I check in. Once in a lifetime emergency, cuts must be made, sure, I get that. But I have to be honest with myself and note that I cant even remember the last time the big wigs invested a little to increase customer experience. I dont mean automating things, making new E tickets without increasing capacity, retheming, just little investments in "the magic". Right now all I think of is revamping the Epcot entrance, and deploying extra CMs at those booths on busy days. Everything else has just been "lets squeeze a little more juice out of the parks and hope the inmates dont revolt".

I bought a non-expiring ticket pack years ago, figured it would always be a good investment, now everything just seems so meh for the future. Nothing in recent history indicates that any of these currently necessary cuts will ever be coming back.

Canada's Wonderland is literally walking distance from my house and they're trying much harder for my dollars, and I cant think of a good reason not to give it to them at this point.

[/whinge]
I agree, we should give our money to the parks that seem to trying instead of using this pandemic to further cut costs. I feel Universal/IOA in Orlando is still trying, Seaworld Orlando is also still trying...

tanc

After I went in August, I just think as an AP holder there isn't enough to want me to go back. No shows, fireworks, and doing parks within 5 hours. After we ride everything we want to ride, we just go and sit in the room all day. It was cool that the ride has low waits but to charge full price and basically get half an experience... idk chief.

Not to mention there's no park hopper, which was kind of the nail in the coffin. Only 1 park a day was hard to take in. Especially when if you got there are opening, rides were walk on. I don't think I spent more than 6 hours at a park.

MurphyJoe

This is what gets me. Due to the pandemic, Disney had the option of going old school with a "Vacation Kingdom of the World" campaign pitching all the non-ride offerings in WDW. Dinning, live entertainment, golf, boating, horseback riding, etc. inside their bubble (which really isn't a bubble, but reality hasn't stopped their marketing team before now). Then because the live entertainment industry has dried up, making an assumption here, they could've hired multiple quality acts for a discounted price with steady work. In turn, and not surprising anyone, D raises prices even higher at the gate for the premium experience. Even with more expensive tickets, they'd be offering a vacation experience with a veneer of safety which isn't available elsewhere on the East coast. Plus getting the public thinking WDW is more than the parks could yield higher spend on upcharges throughout the resort. Which could reduce some capacity issues without spending millions on new rides.

Basil of Baker Street

After I went in August, I just think as an AP holder there isn't enough to want me to go back. No shows, fireworks, and doing parks within 5 hours. After we ride everything we want to ride, we just go and sit in the room all day. It was cool that the ride has low waits but to charge full price and basically get half an experience... idk chief.

Not to mention there's no park hopper, which was kind of the nail in the coffin. Only 1 park a day was hard to take in. Especially when if you got there are opening, rides were walk on. I don't think I spent more than 6 hours at a park.
No way I can go until Park Hopper comes back.

tallica

I’ve been several times since the pandemic started and have had a great time even with the reduced offerings. Sure, I’ve missed some of the special events, but it’s still a really great experience in my opinion even without the shows and fireworks.

It’s very hard to see these types of entertainment cuts and layoffs, but it’s certainly not exclusive to Disney. We had pay cuts and layoffs at my own company. We aren’t going to know what to expect until we can see the end of the road with covid, unfortunately.
you must love Fun Spot and parking lot carnivals.

tallica

I'm always amazed by the things I read on these Disney fan boards. Why don't you people just go to Six Flags if it's so much better than WDW? YES, Disney World will eventually return to normal. I'm sure that y'all will still hate it then as well, pining for a time in your mind that never existed in reality.

I'll be at WDW in a month-and-a-half, and I can't wait!
You are in for a rude awakening, from my experience the parks under current conditions have no soul. Even the rides are less enjoyable without the added atmosphere. The whole experience is very sterile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom