Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

wannabeBelle

I hope that I am wrong and all of the amazing entertainment that Disney is known for returns in force. History says I am not. Over the years many great acts have been removed, to be replaced by something of inferior quality, and sometimes not even at all. That is all pre- Covid so that isn't the problem. Then Covid hit and everything was magnified. Will we get back what made Disney special, and unique? I'm just not sure I can say yes, even given that statement from PR. I agree with @Notes from Neverland on failing PR101. Terminating thousands of CM's while reinstating executive salaries to pre- pandemic levels was just crazy. Marie

Dutch Inn '76

I'm always amazed by the things I read on these Disney fan boards. Why don't you people just go to Six Flags if it's so much better than WDW? YES, Disney World will eventually return to normal. I'm sure that y'all will still hate it then as well, pining for a time in your mind that never existed in reality.

I'll be at WDW in a month-and-a-half, and I can't wait!

drew81

The entertainment cuts will be replaced by offering guests the up-charge option ($99.99) of dressing as any street character who has been layed off. A complete list will be forth coming and you can make your selection 60 days in advance--------joking
In all seriousness and if/when shows return, I wouldn’t be surprised if they instituted some type of reserved seating upcharge. Most seating would be reserved with little inventory for walkups. You get a showtime reserved on the app. That would increase revenue in their minds. Nothing would shock me.

I do have my doubts about many of the cuts ever returning. PR lies.

DisneyDebRob

I’ve been several times since the pandemic started and have had a great time even with the reduced offerings. Sure, I’ve missed some of the special events, but it’s still a really great experience in my opinion even without the shows and fireworks.

It’s very hard to see these types of entertainment cuts and layoffs, but it’s certainly not exclusive to Disney. We had pay cuts and layoffs at my own company. We aren’t going to know what to expect until we can see the end of the road with covid, unfortunately.
I’m really glad you had a good time. Not being sarcastic at all, glad it was worth it for you . But what was a good time? Really want to know. The only reports I’ve read from a good experience always start off with..” I rode this 3 times.. then rode that 3 times”.. that’s wonderful if that’s what you like. (Not you, saying it generally)
For a lot of us it’s everything else that makes it worth it. Everything that’s been cut makes the Disney trip magical. I can go to six flags for rides I guess is what I’m saying.
This is not a shot at what they have done and the safety precautions they have taken to open back up. That’s all great and they need to do it. But damn, for me it just doesn’t sound that magical.

dreday3

I’m really glad you had a good time. Not being sarcastic at all, glad it was worth it for you . But what was a good time? Really want to know. The only reports I’ve read from a good experience always start off with..” I rode this 3 times.. then rode that 3 times”.. that’s wonderful if that’s what you like. (Not you, saying it generally)
For a lot of us it’s everything else that makes it worth it. Everything that’s been cut makes the Disney trip magical. I can go to six flags for rides I guess is what I’m saying.
This is not a shot at what they have done and the safety precautions they have taken to open back up. That’s all great and they need to do it. But damn, for me it just doesn’t sound that magical.

First, I feel awful for those that lost their jobs. It's scary and uncertain for them and I am completely empathetic. I won't comment on what the reason (real or not) Disney did this because honestly I have no clue if it's all due to pandemic or if was going to happen anyways and just using pandemic as excuse.

We are going next spring (hopefully, dependent on job status) and expect to have a good time even with the cuts.

As to what would be a good time? People seem to be shocked that some people don't go to the stage shows or watch parades.
Well, we only go every few years so for us going on Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Pirates, Small World, etc., is a magic. Heck we haven't been since 2017 so even Toy Story Land will be new to us!
Listening to the music (the soundtracks) in each park while just strolling around is magic to us.
Animal Kingdom - just being there, looking at all the details, walking the trails - we could do that for 2 full days and not ride anything - magic.
The resorts - we enjoy them, the sounds of the boats, the smells of the lobbies.
Just sitting somewhere in World Showcase with a glass of wine, listening to the sounds around us is magic.
Even Magical Express is fun for us.

So while we will notice what's missing - especially at Hollywood Studios (very sad about Citizens of Hollywood), miss park hopping, but most of what we love to do is still there. Maybe we will decide after this trip we won't come back until things "normalize", maybe we will have the best trip ever.
We will miss a nighttime show at Epcot, but it will come back someday. Never even watch the ones at MK. :D

Jrb1979

I'm always amazed by the things I read on these Disney fan boards. Why don't you people just go to Six Flags if it's so much better than WDW? YES, Disney World will eventually return to normal. I'm sure that y'all will still hate it then as well, pining for a time in your mind that never existed in reality.

I have to disagree with you. They a very likely not bringing back things like Citizens of Hollywood. Disney isn't going to be back to what it was. They have been slowly taking away the little things for years. If you are satisfied with just new attractions and fireworks then good for you. For me I go to Disney for the little things as if I want rides and fireworks I will go to Cedar Point for half the money and more exciting rides.

I like your avatar! I stayed at the Dutch Inn on our first trip to WDW in 1980. I still have their matches!

Sir_Cliff

You know things are pretty bleak when the official executive statement cites specifically "Joy from “Inside Out” frolicking on the lawn" as an innovative example of the very best of their current entertainment offerings.
Whoever included and approved that line needs to at least be given a stern talking to. Don't they have professional PR people at Disney?

I'm very curious about the extent to which these dramatic cutbacks are to stop WDW bleeding money vs. trying to make it (more?) profitable. In the latter instance, it all seems incredibly short-sighted.

Last edited:

techgeek

So while we will notice what's missing - especially at Hollywood Studios (very sad about Citizens of Hollywood), miss park hopping, but most of what we love to do is still there.

First they took away the unexpected surprises, but that’s ok because we didn’t expect them anyway.

Then they reduced menu offerings, but that’s ok because we could still find something we liked to eat.

Then they cut back park hours, but that’s ok because we don’t stay late anyway.

Then they took away the parades in the other parks, but that’s ok because they weren’t as good as MK’s and they just crowded up the paths anyway.

Then they took away the nighttime parade, but that’s ok because we saw it once and don’t need to see it again.

Then they cut back the number of shells in the fireworks show, but that’s ok because really we didn’t even notice.

Then they replaced my favorite act. The replacement isn’t as good, but that’s ok because I can still see them outside the parks and sometimes people need to move on.

Then they cut the replacement act, and left the stage they performed on just sit. But that’s ok, because there’s still plenty of other acts to watch.

Then they took away entertainment at the resorts, but that’s ok because we spend the evenings at Disney Springs anyways.

Then they cut most of the acts, but that’s ok because there’s still the one we like and we really like just walking around anyway and really it’s about the rides.

Then they cut the number of ride vehicles, but that’s ok because we only use fastpass anyways and people don’t really notice things like that.

Then they started closing attractions early and opening others late, but that’s ok because there are plenty of other things that are open and we can plan our day around that.

Then they cut transportation, but that’s ok because we drive our rental car around anyway.

The frightening thing is, I can keep going... and going. At what point exactly should I be able to stop?

TrainsOfDisney

It’s like going to a 5 star restaurant. They lower the quality, lower the portion size, raise the prices, replace the veteran servers that know you by name, and then when someone says something you hear “if all you’re going to do is complain about the food just go to McDonald’s. I’m paying for the atmosphere!”

Umm... shouldn’t you expect a good quality meal and good quality service along with the atmosphere?

dreday3

First they took away the unexpected surprises, but that’s ok because we didn’t expect them anyway.

Then they reduced menu offerings, but that’s ok because we could still find something we liked to eat.

Then they cut back park hours, but that’s ok because we don’t stay late anyway.

Then they took away the parades in the other parks, but that’s ok because they weren’t as good as MK’s and they just crowded up the paths anyway.

Then they took away the nighttime parade, but that’s ok because we saw it once and don’t need to see it again.

Then they cut back the number of shells in the fireworks show, but that’s ok because really we didn’t even notice.

Then they replaced my favorite act. The replacement isn’t as good, but that’s ok because I can still see them outside the parks and sometimes people need to move on.

Then they cut the replacement act, and left the stage they performed on just sit. But that’s ok, because there’s still plenty of other acts to watch.

Then they took away entertainment at the resorts, but that’s ok because we spend the evenings at Disney Springs anyways.

Then they cut most of the acts, but that’s ok because there’s still the one we like and we really like just walking around anyway and really it’s about the rides.

Then they cut the number of ride vehicles, but that’s ok because we only use fastpass anyways and people don’t really notice things like that.

Then they started closing attractions early and opening others late, but that’s ok because there are plenty of other things that are open and we can plan our day around that.

Then they cut transportation, but that’s ok because we drive our rental car around anyway.

The frightening thing is, I can keep going... and going. At what point exactly should I be able to stop?

You should probably quote my entire post for full context.

The way we do Disney seems to bother you.

Sorry it upsets you? 🙂 Someone asked what people would find good during this time, so I answered.

sbunit

IMO this is very poor long term foresight on the part of Disney. I understand their standpoint from a business point of view (I'm a business owner myself). However, considering the overall picture and their general financial capacity, there could have been much better alternative strategies employed. This decision seems short sighted, possibly rushed and honestly quite inept and lazy on the part of Disney. Essentially I am convinced that Disney either has totally lost their understanding of what sets them apart from their industry competitors, the core of their success and longevity, or they have the sorriest bunch of executives to ever run a multi-billionaire dollar conglomerate. There is no question you feel for the sake of these Cast Members but if you just want to take a step back and look at things from a strictly business standpoint, this IMO has got to be one of the poorest directions the company could've taken. It certainly would've been a better long term move to continue and re-imagine entertainment, alongside maintaining the absolute core of your business, the cast members who bring life to all facets of your business levels, instead of just cutting bait with an entire PROFITABLE sector of your business. Wise business owners learn to be creative and adapt to the current environment with a long term perspective in mind. From my personal observations, my fellow business owners who didn't make out well during the pandemic were those who panicked and made irrational decisions that are now biting them in the behind later. And I understand that there are some situations were despite the best of efforts not much could've been done. This however is not the case for a conglomerate like Disney. Consider my Dec 2021 in Limbo until I have further assurances that the "EXPERIENCE" will be re-instated. And there is no Disney experience without the Cast Members who bring everything to life all around us.

LastoneOn

Sorry it upsets you? 🙂 Someone asked what people would find good during this time, so I answered.
Going in January. We'll have a good time.

Really rankles so many around here that some of us don't need what they apparently need, to have good time.

matt9112

I hope that I am wrong and all of the amazing entertainment that Disney is known for returns in force. History says I am not. Over the years many great acts have been removed, to be replaced by something of inferior quality, and sometimes not even at all. That is all pre- Covid so that isn't the problem. Then Covid hit and everything was magnified. Will we get back what made Disney special, and unique? I'm just not sure I can say yes, even given that statement from PR. I agree with @Notes from Neverland on failing PR101. Terminating thousands of CM's while reinstating executive salaries to pre- pandemic levels was just crazy. Marie
Mentality of the corporate arm wont chance until we stop visiting. Pre covid the place is busting at the seams and they kept "imho" cutting quality piece by piece. Disney has perfected the art of the frog in boiling water.

techgeek

My apologies for cherry picking the quote, and for cherry picking your reply because it's most definitely not about you specifically or the way you 'do Disney'. I probably could (and should) have presented my post without quoting anything specific and just let it stand on its own. I'm glad you still are able to find joy and value in a Disney vacation and are looking forward to your trip! My comment isn't even intended to apply to Covid related cutbacks specifically, rather the overall declining by degrees (especially in entertainment) that has been an overall theme here for years now.

Mainly, I was attempting to illustrate yet again that pattern and how it has played out over the years. All of us here have witnessed the tone in Disney's corporate culture shift from exceeding their guests expectations to seeing how much they can squeeze out of both the bottom and top of the spreadsheet. My concern has always been that once companies start down that path, it can be almost impossible to shift away from that mindset. It would take a clear direction and message from the very top of the organization, which is obviously not something that current leadership has in mind - even looking beyond Covid.

The cuts that have happened might not have really affected you, or the way you currently enjoy the product... but if you follow the pattern, eventually, there will be a cut that does. Guaranteed. The grumpy ones around here are just the ones that have experienced their straw that broke the camels back. The only way it changes is if it becomes important to the company...

... so the question becomes, how to make it become important to the company?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom