Farewell Citizens of Hollywood

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I know it has been said before that cutting the high-up corporate salaries wouldn't make a noticeable dent in WDW's ability to maintain entertainment staff, but the fact that they aren't doing anything on that front and the people on the "bottom" continue to get kicked in the teeth really chaps my patootie. Seems like the Oriental Land Company over at Tokyo Disney is at least making an effort in that vein.

peter11435

I know it has been said before that cutting the high-up corporate salaries wouldn't make a noticeable dent in WDW's ability to maintain entertainment staff, but the fact that they aren't doing anything on that front and the people on the "bottom" continue to get kicked in the teeth really chaps my patootie. Seems like the Oriental Land Company over at Tokyo Disney is at least making an effort in that vein.
Except executives and corporate employees have also been laid off, so they are cutting from the top too.

Movielover

Except executives and corporate employees have also been laid off, so they are cutting from the top too.

Disney cutting from the top...

tenor.gif

Disney cutting from the bottom...

cut_off_florida.gif

peter11435

Higher at the top and getting laid off doesn't mean they leave emptyhanded. Severance packages are sweeter at the top.
Of course not, there are contracts that need to be followed. But for the most part those at the bottom are not leaving empty-handed either. And again it does not make any sense to employ people Who you cannot use for the foreseeable future.

tirian

I find it interesting Chapek keeps blaming the finances, not the virus or social distancing conditions; yet WDW didn’t cancel this much entertainment during the drastic slump post 9/11. I suspect it’s because the Co. must make everything look safe as it keeps trying to open the California parks.

Meanwhile, the official Equity announcement emphasized the importance of masks and distances, but for the most part, these things are already enforced at WDW.

PR spin teams need to get their stories straight.

rreading

I find it interesting Chapek keeps blaming the finances, not the virus or social distancing conditions; yet WDW didn’t cancel this much entertainment during the drastic slump post 9/11. I suspect it’s because the Co. must make everything look safe as it keeps trying to open the California parks.

Meanwhile, the official Equity announcement emphasized the importance of masks and distances, but for the most part, these things are already enforced at WDW.

PR spin teams need to get their stories straight.

This one is a much bigger hit to the company than 9/11, and will be much more sustained. I understand the cuts; I just wish we could trust that they would restore things to normal once the world is (eventually) back to normal.

DLP closing again suggests that DL isn't opening anytime soon. I just hope that WDW stays open

tirian

This one is a much bigger hit to the company than 9/11, and will be much more sustained. I understand the cuts; I just wish we could trust that they would restore things to normal once the world is (eventually) back to normal.

DLP closing again suggests that DL isn't opening anytime soon. I just hope that WDW stays open
I agree.

MaximumEd

I’ll predict that the parks will be slammed once a vaccine is available, and not because the parks are great with no fireworks, shows, or entertainment, but because folks will be desperate to go somewhere and do something. Chapek and the boys will say, “See? We don’t need these things to draw a crowd.” I could easily be wrong. I hope I’m wrong. The parks are a shell of themselves without the things that make WDW different.

DisneyTransport

Its so sad to see all these talented performers go. They were always something that made me leave HS with a smile on my face. They made the Disney Difference to me :\ I'm also concerned if this will lead to less talent down the line. Will someone's dream to be a performer be crushed by the lack of jobs? Where do all the now unemployed performers go to perform their art? sigh

mergatroid

Original Poster
Why them?!

I was wondering earlier whether the characters playing Star Wars characters in Galaxy's Edge are on the same salary that the CoH were? If so I suppose Disney will look at it as employing more people when far less money is coming in. I've no idea whether the Galaxy's Edge characters have been axed also or not?

Here's hoping that the COH return when things start to get back to normal. A friend of 'Jack Diamond' has been at Disney for over 30 years in various locations and guises, such a sad and unexpected way for his career to finish at Disney (if indeed it has).

TrainsOfDisney

I was wondering earlier whether the characters playing Star Wars characters in Galaxy's Edge are on the same salary that the CoH were? If so I suppose Disney will look at it as employing more people when far less money is coming in. I've no idea whether the Galaxy's Edge characters have been axed also or not?

Here's hoping that the COH return when things start to get back to normal. A friend of 'Jack Diamond' has been at Disney for over 30 years in various locations and guises, such a sad and unexpected way for his career to finish at Disney (if indeed it has).
The Star Wars characters are not equity. The guides in the light saber room are, and they are still there.

Many of these cuts, along with yeehaw bob, and the orchestra, are 20-30 year cm’s.

Anyone know which piano players are at world showplace? I know Carol is one of them, assuming John is one as well but wondering if Jim and Mark have been let go? :-(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom