Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimpYancIent

Oh, another new development in our town, too, is that we have a newly renovated skate park at which kids were constantly congregating without wearing masks. There is now an electric highway sign stating that if masks aren't worn when visiting, the area will be closed. They've also hired people to enforce the mask mandates and follow through with fines.
Hired people to enforce? Where are the parents?

GimpYancIent

Yes, I agree (and said so already) that the CDC may very well change their recommendation and the WHO sets their age older already.

As far as I know the major theme park companies (Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Six Flags) all have the same policy around age for masks as well as the major airlines. In the Orlando market I know LEGOLAND has no mask requirement. All those companies are falling back on CDC and public health official guidelines and it’s my opinion that if/when the CDC revises their guidelines than most if not all of these companies will update their policies. Is it possible that Disney or others will change the policy before the CDC moves on it, yes sure, but IMHO its not very likely.
As far as all the businesses you named prudent decision making will ensure the protocols and policies stay in place well into the future. CIVID19 ain't in no hurry to leave!

GimpYancIent

Buckle up...the holiday season is going to be a tough time for people to avoid gatherings. In places where bars are open without restrictions, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is the biggest bar day of the year...then all those people will get together with large family groups the next day. Has superspreader written all over it. I know a few people who are planning to do a 14 day quarantine leading into Thanksgiving so they can feel comfortable seeing relatives (especially elderly ones) but I’m sure that won’t be the norm and everyone at your Thanksgiving needs to commit to doing it. Then less than a month later you roll into the Christmas holidays and have to do it all again.
GoofGoof I say spread out, wear masks, hand sanitize and enjoy a good strong adult beverage! It will be an education seeing how people treat other people.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Buckle up...the holiday season is going to be a tough time for people to avoid gatherings. In places where bars are open without restrictions, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is the biggest bar day of the year...then all those people will get together with large family groups the next day. Has superspreader written all over it. I know a few people who are planning to do a 14 day quarantine leading into Thanksgiving so they can feel comfortable seeing relatives (especially elderly ones) but I’m sure that won’t be the norm and everyone at your Thanksgiving needs to commit to doing it. Then less than a month later you roll into the Christmas holidays and have to do it all again.
So true! My family and my husbands family have all decided not to gather. We will drop off gifts outside and zoom with each other on the day, that’s what we did for Easter and it worked out really well! 2 of my family members work in local schools which have cases going on (though the schools aren’t actually sharing that info :( ) and we just feel it’s better to be safe this year so that next year we are all here to celebrate!

disneycp

A. We haven’t been in a cycle of lockdown. We had one. Some places are looking at a second

B. If we do have another, it is exactly what was predicted in March by the experts. They said the virus was likely to come in waves and we should expect increased restrictions including periods of lockdown each time cases spike. There were illustrations posted during March, I’m sure you can find them.

C. People like to change their definition of things to suit their agenda. I feel like you are saying “reducing cases” when you mean “zero cases.” Analysis fairly recently gave estimates on how many lives were saved with the restrictions and how many more lives could be saved by future restrictions. I’m sure you can find them too. As well as all the discussion about fewer deaths in the summer wave than the March wave. So delaying infections saved lives too. Especially learning about the vascular complications.

I appreciate the good debate, thank you. I’m at work right now but will respond later.

JoeCamel

Oh, another new development in our town, too, is that we have a newly renovated skate park at which kids were constantly congregating without wearing masks. There is now an electric highway sign stating that if masks aren't worn when visiting, the area will be closed. They've also hired people to enforce the mask mandates and follow through with fines.
Around here they filled the skate parks with sand, back open now that "mission accomplished".

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well that’s kind of ironic, considering how many jobs have been lost (possibly forever) because of pro-lockdown policies...
To be fair, the job losses (especially the permanent ones) are more to blame on the worldwide pandemic than any lockdowns. How many people are out of work right now because the government has mandated the business they work for stays closed? Some bartenders, staff at arenas and large venues, theme parks in CA, but there are a lot of people working for airlines and hotel chains and Disney World who are still out of work. That’s not due to government lockdowns. I know it’s easier to just blame everything on lockdowns and was much easier to do in the spring but we are seeing now that there is no magic light switch for the economy, especially in travel and tourism.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So true! My family and my husbands family have all decided not to gather. We will drop off gifts outside and zoom with each other on the day, that’s what we did for Easter and it worked out really well! 2 of my family members work in local schools which have cases going on (though the schools aren’t actually sharing that info :( ) and we just feel it’s better to be safe this year so that next year we are all here to celebrate!
We are in the same boat. I know a few people who chose to keep their kids in virtual school because they wanted to get together with family for the holidays. It’s not worth it for me. I’d rather see my kids get to go to school and just see my family another time. I’m certainly not going to risk infecting my elderly relatives, but to each their own. Everyone has to make that call.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 9.23.02 AM.png

disneycp

To be fair, the job losses (especially the permanent ones) are more to blame on the worldwide pandemic than any lockdowns. How many people are out of work right now because the government has mandated the business they work for stays closed? Some bartenders, staff at arenas and large venues, theme parks in CA, but there are a lot of people working for airlines and hotel chains and Disney World who are still out of work. That’s not due to government lockdowns. I know it’s easier to just blame everything on lockdowns and was much easier to do in the spring but we are seeing now that there is no magic light switch for the economy, especially in travel and tourism.

That’s fair. I do know a good amount of people out of work due to lockdowns, so that colors my opinion a bit. Unfortunately, now I think there is no magic light switch because we’ve gone down the same wrong, half-assed path of handling things this entire time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s fair. I do know a good amount of people out of work due to lockdowns, so that colors my opinion a bit. Unfortunately, now I think there is no magic light switch because we’ve gone down the same wrong, half-assed path of handling things this entire time.
In what state? Florida has lifted all restrictions so there aren’t any workers out of work because of government mandates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom