Entitled Manchild/Horrible Father Harasses Cast Member

LastoneOn

It has gotten progressively worse over the past several years. You can read CM reports of unruly, bullying, abusive guest interaction being one of their top issues of being on the job. The entitled guest thinks they can bully the young CM to ignore the rules or make an exception just for them. Unfortunately many CM's say their managers do not back them up in many instances, so many are afraid to hold their ground fearing repercussion.
Just look at all the people that go into a fast food joint, don't get the order fast enough or whatever and trash the place. Look at the looters. Look at the people going around hollering and threatening people in restaurants. They face no repercussions. I wonder why.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Is that a fact?

Why else would one both record her and post it online, send it to Disney, etc?

Lets talk about riots and garbage people. Maybe in another forum.

Trying to get someone fired for being a private individual, on their own time, is my friend, evil.

He removed the “private” aspect the second he posted the video publicly and tagged Disney.

It amazes me that a Disney employee (according to the Facebook page) would do this to a fellow CM.

I think, but am not sure, that he changed it to that to troll since a lot of CM’s were responding to him (a bad idea). If he’s actually a current CM... oof.

Lil Copter Cap

My honest question for those that don’t believe he shouldn’t be fired: What is a justifiable outcome for this act? Allowing people to do this without repercussion encourages others to do the same in hopes of obtaining recognition, special treatment, etc.

I’ve worked in retail and have had my fair share of annoying customers. If this hadn’t been filmed, I would chock it up to just that: an annoying, entitled guest. But I don’t find it “evil” wishing job loss on someone who wishes to make a private interaction public with the intent to shame and encourage job loss of another individual. The moment he decided to record the interaction, we enter a different realm of entitlement. Wishing a negative outcome for the CM(s)—whether firing or reprimanding—is exactly what justifies him losing his job. Because that’s the only action that CAN occur. He’s gone viral. Enough views and he can make money off of it. Etc. etc.

Again, if this had been kept private without video recording, I wouldn’t support a reaction such as job loss—but allowing people to get away with actions such as this doesn’t sit well with me.

The Empress Lilly

My honest question for those that don’t believe he shouldn’t be fired: What is a justifiable outcome for this act?
Those that believe he should not be fired?

1) The dad is not completely wrong. That carousel will start another round several minutes later. With 90% of the horses empty. All it takes is four seconds to undo the rope, let the little boy in, close rope. It's not unreasonable.

2) Cancel culture and 'off with his head, move on to next victim' mob culture are annoying as hell.

3) A sense of perspective and proportionality. Lives should not be destroyed over some inconsequential public irritation. I mean, come on now.

Justifiable outcome? Get a good night's sleep, wake up, notice the world still spins, get over it, go to work.

Chi84

Premium Member
Closed means closed. At some point the line needs to be closed, and Disney set the time at 8:00.

Life is full of minor disappointments, and I can’t think of too many more minor than this one. The dad could have taken the opportunity to teach his child how to react. Making a big deal of something so unimportant is not a good lesson to teach. Then we complain about children growing up self-centered and becoming entitled adults.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Not directly related but do cm’s still have the little extras like certificates, cards, etc.

Like if a kid can’t ride something because they are too scared or not tall enough? Not sure if the Carousel ever had these or not... but surely the cms had some stickers or something? Just seems like they wanted to fight with the guest as much as he wanted to fight with them.
CMs had tattoos to give out to kids at Pirates. (There’s a chest of them at load and the entrance.) I was the only one who ever bothered with them. My favorite thing to do was scout a kid in line and say “if you put this on, you become an honorary pirate!” (Or a princess pirate If a girl was dressed as a princess). Lots of smiles and thank yous. :)

We also had those Pinocchio certificate things, but we were only allowed to use those only in extreme guest satisfaction situations, because it’s apparently hard for the managers to obtain more of them.

LastoneOn

My honest question for those that don’t believe he shouldn’t be fired: What is a justifiable outcome for this act? Allowing people to do this without repercussion encourages others to do the same in hopes of obtaining recognition, special treatment, etc.

I’ve worked in retail and have had my fair share of annoying customers. If this hadn’t been filmed, I would chock it up to just that: an annoying, entitled guest. But I don’t find it “evil” wishing job loss on someone who wishes to make a private interaction public with the intent to shame and encourage job loss of another individual. The moment he decided to record the interaction, we enter a different realm of entitlement. Wishing a negative outcome for the CM(s)—whether firing or reprimanding—is exactly what justifies him losing his job. Because that’s the only action that CAN occur. He’s gone viral. Enough views and he can make money off of it. Etc. etc.

Again, if this had been kept private without video recording, I wouldn’t support a reaction such as job loss—but allowing people to get away with actions such as this doesn’t sit well with me.
I think you should lose your job. Give me your facebook etc and we'll dox you, notify your employer, maybe threaten a boycott, violence, all to get make YOU suffer for expressing your opinion on a forum. Nice isn't it.

outcome? What outcome? he didn't hurt anybody he lost his temper

cancel culture is making a bunch of people act like spoiled manchildren, all insisting everyone conform to their supposed sense of decorum and morals

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
There's a clear divide here between those who either have worked or are familiar with attraction operations in Orlando and those who haven't. It doesn't matter that it's going to cycle again, with lots of empty seats. IF you let a guest in after the entrance is already closed, you're only creating another complaint by fixing the first one, because another guest will approach, and complain if you don't let them in as well. Then, where does it stop? And if you don't let them in, NOW you're literally not being fair, vs. a posted closing time, which IS fair.

I think you should lose your job. Give me your facebook etc and we'll dox you, notify your employer, maybe threaten a boycott, violence, all to get make YOU suffer for expressing your opinion on a forum. Nice isn't it.

outcome? What outcome? he didn't hurt anybody he lost his temper

cancel culture is making a bunch of people act like spoiled manchildren, all insisting everyone conform to their supposed sense of decorum and morals

Not sure what part of "this man recorded this cast member while being verbally threatening and demanding with the hope and intention of publicly shaming her and getting her to lose her job because he didn't like being told no" you are having trouble with.

Thought experiment: imagine a loved one getting berated for just doing their job, and they end up going viral, getting mocked all over the internet. That's the type of stuff that ruins lives and drives people to suicide. This isn't trivial. What this man did needs to stop, and people like him need to be made examples of.

NelleBelle

The issue I would have with the desire for him to lose his job are as follows.

Where do we draw the line with how easy we make it for employers to fire people? Losing your job for most parts should be down to how what you did wrong affects your job. I work for the Government (at a very low level) however my contract of employment means that if I decided to streak at a televised game or make a drunken political rank that somebody recorded, I could be sacked for bringing my department into disrepute.

Whilst the guy's undoubtedly a jerk, would we expect him to lose his job if he behaved like this elsewhere? If somebody drove badly and you ended up having a verbal altercation with them and somebody recorded it, would you think it fair to lose your job you'd held for 20 years over it because people who don't know you judged you on 30 seconds of your life?

I realise he recorded it himself and probably did so in the hope it would make the CM look bad, there's no denying that. Whilst he started it and is in the wrong for doing that, the CM's were in a position to not allow him to make them look bad. That's far easier to say than do I know, we're all human and when being treated badly it's instinctive to get angry ourselves. However hard though, if you stick to the "I'm sorry Sir" script and smile, you don't allow him to make you look bad. Again far easier to say than do and I'm certainly not trying to turn what was an unfair and difficult situations onto the CM's.

And if the guy loses his job over something like this, what's the actual big picture? On the one hand you could say it might make people think before they act. However this has been the case for years and yet there's still loads of jerky people out there, so maybe that possible outcome doesn't work? What would happen if he lost his job for behaving badly is that he'd probably claim unemployment benefit from the Government which means hard working tax payers are paying for him to eat and live. Also his family who may not be jerks like him would probably suffer due to the loss of his income. They could lose their home, medical benefits all because he filmed somebody saying he couldn't ride an attraction and spoke down to them.

Personally I don't know the guy, but the little I've seen of him makes me not like him. I'll lose no sleep over whatever transpires over this video that affects him. I genuinely understand the anger people have towards him and I'm not being critical towards that anger. However if people start losing their jobs over unrelated incidents from their personal time it seems to perhaps open the door for employers to use that as a way of firing people for the wrong reasons?
Never said his employer should fire him (although, depending on what he does for work and his terms of employment and whether he negatively affects that company is another issue). My big take away is that by making that video public, he could be making it difficult for any future work opportunities should he need them. It's extremely common for companies to screen social media accounts of people, looking for this very thing.

mergatroid

Never said his employer should fire him (although, depending on what he does for work and his terms of employment and whether he negatively affects that company is another issue). My big take away is that by making that video public, he could be making it difficult for any future work opportunities should he need them. It's extremely common for companies to screen social media accounts of people, looking for this very thing.

Sorry I realise this. That was aimed at others that had said that, I believe you were responding to them so quoted you and went off on a tangent.

Heppenheimer

There's a clear divide here between those who either have worked or are familiar with attraction operations in Orlando and those who haven't. It doesn't matter that it's going to cycle again, with lots of empty seats. IF you let a guest in after the entrance is already closed, you're only creating another complaint by fixing the first one, because another guest will approach, and complain if you don't let them in as well. Then, where does it stop? And if you don't let them in, NOW you're literally not being fair, vs. a posted closing time, which IS fair.
I'm thinking back to my first job as a teenager, working in a multiplex movie theater (remember those?). When the movie let out, we needed to rope off access to the lobby so that people would funnel out of the building through the side doors, not through the usually already packed lobby. Both for fire code reasons, and to keep the foot traffic in the lobby manageable, you had to get the crowds out of the building in the most efficient manner possible. Inevitably, some people would have made plans to meet in the lobby afterwards, or would just want to leave through there for some reason. Fine, but we asked that they wait until everyone had left, because if you lifted the rope for one person while the theater was still emptying, a crowd would then follow or demand the same access. It seems like a minor point, but when you're trying to direct hundreds of people out of an enclosed area, you really can't make too many exceptions.

Fable McCloud

On further analysis, he mentions "one last ride before we go back to Massachusetts" which leads me to believe he ISN'T a WDW employee.
He makes me ashamed to be a Bay State resident...

I honestly think he was being rude and entitled on purpose. Respect the rules, show you're a good person, and sometimes when you're polite CMs will do something nice for you. Screaming at them and demanding another ride after the line is closed will get you nowhere. All he had to do was ask, "any chance my son could get on for a ride?" and there was a chance. Being rude and ignoring the rules set by Disney won't get you anything.

Heppenheimer

Is your name "Mark" and were you the assistant to the assistant manager???
I don't know if this is referencing something, but no, and no. I was just one of those kids people would yell at when we ran out of pretzel bites, if we didn't let them immediately into the lobby as the theater was emptying, if the parking lot was too full, if The Lion King was sold out yet again, or if any number of life's little inconveniences happened to the bad-tempered patrons.

I haven't worked a job involving front-line customer interactions since I was in college, and everytime I see one of these videos or read a story about cast members being berated for doing their jobs, I flash back to every irate "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE OUT OF PRETZEL BITES!" I endured and I can sympathize.

NelleBelle

I made the mistake of going to this goon's Facebook page...1) why would you not have privacy settings so that anyone could just view your private stuff (especially of your kids)!! 2) it seemed to me that he was bragging about this whole incident and was going to try the same thing at Universal. 3) does universal not care if people are posing for pictures without masks on?? 4) I think that it's total BS that he's an actual CM when he lists that as his employment. 5) he took that video off his page so no one can see it any longer.

I wish there were a way one could wash one's eyeballs after that...blech!

LastoneOn

Not sure what part of "this man recorded this cast member while being verbally threatening and demanding with the hope and intention of publicly shaming her and getting her to lose her job because he didn't like being told no" you are having trouble with.

Thought experiment: imagine a loved one getting berated for just doing their job, and they end up going viral, getting mocked all over the internet. That's the type of stuff that ruins lives and drives people to suicide. This isn't trivial. What this man did needs to stop, and people like him need to be made examples of.

Keep going. Next you'll be justifying his and his entire family's execution.

LastoneOn

I made the mistake of going to this goon's Facebook page...1) why would you not have privacy settings so that anyone could just view your private stuff (especially of your kids)!! 2) it seemed to me that he was bragging about this whole incident and was going to try the same thing at Universal. 3) does universal not care if people are posing for pictures without masks on?? 4) I think that it's total BS that he's an actual CM when he lists that as his employment. 5) he took that video off his page so no one can see it any longer.

I wish there were a way one could wash one's eyeballs after that...blech!
He got you to look. These things grab all of us sooner or later.
I suggest a nice mocha. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom