One Sentence Competition, Season 6, Episode 1 - The Soft Reboot

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
WxuxEWO.png

@spacemt354 - Cinderella's Night of Enchantment
I love how this is such a unique take on a Cinderella ride! A slot car ride in Fantasyland is such a unique idea and this could be a really fun ride! I think there is a bit of a dissonance between such a calm, kid focused IP and the more thrilling ride system. But Radiator Spings Racer proves that this isn't a deal breaker and can lead to a truly amazing ride!

@Disneylover152 - Belle's Enchanted Passage
A great project! Especially for the last minute switch after seeing what Space did lol. I think BatB is an absolute perfect fit for a very classic feeling Fantasyland style dark ride. I gotta knock you off a few points for it just being a book report, but given the tight time crunch I get why you weren't able to find a new twist on it. And it is still a very strong idea.

D Hulk

HULK SMASH BONUS REVIEWS!

enhance

While we wait for Pi to rethink his medals, here come the Bonus Reviews.

This prompt - to devise a merchandise item to go with the attraction - resulted in a fairly wide variety, from specific items to whole shop concepts. I’ll judge each idea on its own merits.

With so many cute ideas, picking a clear winner will be tough. And incidentally, with the scoring system Pi is using for this episode, that single bonus point is actually fairly valuable! Don’t disregard the bonuses!

The Witch’s Shack
@tcool123
When I first read “wooden coaster set,” despite the ride, I interpreted it as drink coasters. Whoops! But a model roller coaster is even better! That’s the sort of thing I would have gotten hours of entertainment from as a child...or even now. This is the sort of idea which could easily branch beyond this one attraction. How awesome would it be to have model sets for other Disney rides? There’s a franchisable “Lego” quality to this idea which I adore.

Mary Poppins’ Supergalfragilistic Day
@TwilightZone
There’s a gift shop with lots of potential, but our focus narrows in on Mary’s umbrella. Being simply a replica could be interesting enough for some guests, for the obsessive collector types who see the Disney brand as a personal identity. I think there’s a little missed opportunity here, to do something a bit more ambitious in the style of Harry Potter’s wands at Uni. Like, obviously a replica umbrella won’t help you fly, but it could trigger effects in the surrounding Poppins sub-land!

Cookietown Sweets and Goodies
@Brer Panther
This is an interesting swerve for a “merchandise item” prompt, to create a snack instead. Honestly, I’m much more likely to buy a gingerbread man than a souvenir, and if it’s tasty then I’ll buy several more. It’s not exactly an answer to the challenge, but I like it. And of course, collectible tins and such are a merch thing which absolutely work in a bakery (moreso in Tokyo however), and with an extra few words you could’ve added something like that to your description and distinguished your idea even more.​

D Hulk

Orchestra Pit Stop
@DashHaber
Ah, I mentioned the Potter wands in relation to Mary Poppins, and now here they are in all but name! Good call! The tech underlying these Fantasia baton items could go at least two ways...either high-tech like Potter with triggered local effects in the park, or they could use radios or something to play music anywhere when waved. That second option is actually even more appealing, since the batons could work anyway, giving them a big leg up on the Potter concept...they’d work at home, or in queues, or in the car, because it’s always funny to irritate your parents wherever you are!

Digital Download Photo & Video
@surfdawg
Do they really not offer digital photo downloads and on-ride videos already?! That seems like a big missed opportunity. If so, you’re wise to add this...I’m surprised it doesn’t exist. The on-ride photo/video thing seems a little generic compared to some other merchandise ideas, something that doesn’t specifically have to do with the Muppets. It needs a “Muppet” touch to stand out...something like perhaps Statler & Waldorf berating riders in the video perhaps?

The Court of Miracles
@Disney Man One
The more I consider the hand-carved wooden figures from Hunchback, the more I love them. They’re like Quasimodo’s figurines. This is charmingly low-tech, the sort of thing I could picture Disneyland doing back in 1955 (if The Hunchback of Notre Dame already existed then, of course). The figurines and the overall woodshop give strong Gepetto vibes - very tactile - which make this an especially good concept for Anaheim.​

spacemt354

Chili's

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also, I'm not even joking I typed up an entire prompt with a Cinderella dark ride and was about to post it when I saw there was a new post and it was @spacemt354's. They were extremely similar, down to Cinderella's chateau exterior 😂. I had to quickly think of an idea and post this! I'm still proud of it just something funny I wanted to share😂.​
Sorry about that! 🤣 Great save though!

D Hulk

Willie-Sized Items
@InspectorSpacetime
I would love to see guests lugging their four-foot teddy bears around Disneyland! (It would be like Duffy mania in Tokyo.) A shop of big things! This is a perfect melding of shop concept with attraction. It’s a simple, playful idea somewhat like the Mad Hatter’s hat shop. It’s the sort of shop I would visit just for the theming. To stand out, the shop would need a name, but as the bonus to a One Sentence Competition prompt that’s not a big deal when your simple idea already suggests such a rich setting.

Flowers and Trees
@Evilgidgit
No bonus…

Sorcerer’s Hat
@NateD1226
When reading @DashHaber ‘s Fantasia baton, it occurred to me that the Sorcerer’s Hat would work as a retail item. You must’ve thought the same thing. It even functions similarly to the baton, by playing music...at the push of a button, which is not as much fun as waving a baton around. It is wearable (batons aren’t), which seems entirely unrelated to the musical thing.​

D Hulk

Fairy Godmother Wand
@spacemt354

The Harry Potter wands are certainly a running theme with these merch bonuses, and for good reason since they're among the most iconic theme park souvenirs of all time. The Fairy Godmother's wand makes a good submission into this unique sub-genre, more one-to-one than the Fantasia baton ideas. Your actual description is the clearest and most precise; consistently Space's One Sentence submissions are great examples to everyone. The one thing hurting your bonus proposal is tardiness, when earlier proposals were quite similar.

Enchanted Object Shop
@Disneylover152

What sounds distinctive about your B&tB shop is that is sells genuine furniture with a Disney theme, rather than the mere themed souvenirs we might expect. That makes this more in line with the old-school New Orleans Square stores than something in Fantasyland, and it's really only something I'd expect to see in the original Disneyland. It's very cute.

Picking only one merchandise item to win was a challenge, since it’s clear that I liked a lot of these for differing reasons. But there must be a winner.
@DashHaber WIN BONUS!
Fantasia batons are Disney’s answer to the Potter wands. It’s obvious, but it works.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A fantastic Seventh Scene! This was an intentionally very blue sky prompt and I'm glad to see you all took advantage of that to create some amazing things!

Everyone who submitted something gets 1 point just for playing, but medal winners will get extra points on top of that!

And now for the awards!!!!

Ps5WGu1.png

Honorable Mention
@surfdawg -
The Muppets Mayhem Coaster!
Honorable Mentions isn't necessarily "4th Place." This award goes to a project that excelled in one area, but had something else holding it back from the top 3. In this case, this project was a really great and fun muppets ride! It just didn't quite fit the land well enough, and the post was a little too long. But very solid. Especially for a first entry!

L30Y5yp.png

Bronze Medal (1 Point)
@spacemt354 - Cinderella's Night of Enchantment
A really great new angle on a ride based on a very classic IP that has never really had a real ride in the parks. It might be a bit of a weird choice for Cinderella at first glance, but if it was pulled off this could be such an incredible ride!

zihTg3C.png

Silver Medal (1 Point)
@Brer Panther -
Cookie Carnival
You captured the spirit of classic Fantasyland perfectly and created a new experience that could fully stand on its own apart from the less popular IP.

DrRz15D.png

Gold Medal (2 Points)
@InspectorSpacetime -
Fo Fum Quick Cars
This does such a good job of creating something incredible and grand in scale while still keeping that classic feeling!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Scene Eight
It's a Party in the DCA

iKzDdEs.png

You're an aspiring Imagineer in an elevator with Disney's CEO, Bob Chapek. You overhear him on the phone talking with Imagineers about a problem in the parks.

-The Problem-
Disney's California Adventure has always had some issues keeping the Hollywood Backlot corner of the park interesting to most guests. There's a ton of under-utilized space there! One thing that really helped was the parties they used to host back there! Mad T Party and ElecTRONica were the two most famous. These weren't your average Disney dance parties. These were aimed at people in their 20s with loud music, strobe lights, dancers, drinks, and just an overall exciting atmosphere. More of a night club or concert vibe than a theme park. Now the parties are gone, but the space is still underutilized and not very exciting.

electronica.jpg

mad956423LARGE.jpg

There isn't much time left in this elevator ride, but now is your chance to impress the Big Cheese and propose a solution that will earn you a place in the Imagineering Hall of Fame!

-The Prompt-
Propose a solution!
Propose a new Party Zone for DCA
You can focus on the dancing, focus on the show, blend it all together, whatever angle you want to take on it!
Hollywood Land is already well set up for it with a stage and some flex space buildings, but you can place it anywhere.
Also, if you want something more family focused or different, that is up to you!

-Rules-
You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture.
The deadline will be at 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday, October 27th

-Tips-

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly.
This is an elevator pitch, not a full project!
It isn't about more detail, it is about the right details!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

giphy.gif

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

Keep an eye out for the bonus from some big, angry, and GREEN!

D Hulk

Scene Eight
It's a Party in the DCA

iKzDdEs.png

You're an aspiring Imagineer in an elevator with Disney's CEO, Bob Chapek. You overhear him on the phone talking with Imagineers about a problem in the parks.

-The Problem-
Disney's California Adventure has always had some issues keeping the Hollywood Backlot corner of the park interesting to most guests. There's a ton of under-utilized space there! One thing that really helped was the parties they used to host back there! Mad T Party and ElecTRONica were the two most famous. These weren't your average Disney dance parties. These were aimed at people in their 20s with loud music, strobe lights, dancers, drinks, and just an overall exciting atmosphere. More of a night club or concert vibe than a theme park. Now the parties are gone, but the space is still underutilized and not very exciting.

electronica.jpg

mad956423LARGE.jpg

There isn't much time left in this elevator ride, but now is your chance to impress the Big Cheese and propose a solution that will earn you a place in the Imagineering Hall of Fame!

-The Prompt-
Propose a solution!
Propose a new Party Zone for DCA
You can focus on the dancing, focus on the show, blend it all together, whatever angle you want to take on it!
Hollywood Land is already well set up for it with a stage and some flex space buildings, but you can place it anywhere.
Also, if you want something more family focused or different, that is up to you!

-Rules-
You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture.
The deadline will be at 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday, October 27th

-Tips-

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly.
This is an elevator pitch, not a full project!
It isn't about more detail, it is about the right details!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

giphy.gif

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

Keep an eye out for the bonus from some big, angry, and GREEN!

enhance

Using a single sentence (and NO pictures), propose a unique food or drink item to go with your dance party.

Whether you do the bonus or not will have absolutely NO effect on the main prompt's winners or the medals. BUT the best bonus will get 1 Bonus Point towards the overall rankings!​

TwilightZone

DCA Nostalgia Nights

50295329796_89858f5b44_c.jpg
During these special (seasonal) nights, Soarin', Increadicoaster, and Mission Breakout will be temporarily overlayed with their original fan-loved equivalents and to make the nostalgia nights extra magical, there will be a new dance party themed to Steps in Time. While many guests most likely haven't seen the masterful show, the rave remixes of all the songs and crazily dressed up DJs will surely catch the attention of all unaware of the theater masterpiece in for a fun time! A special guest may even be called up on stage for an exclusive ride on the couch with headlights!

Bonus: It can't be Steps in Time without Under the Sea, so what's better to drink than a blue lemonade wine cooler themed to the best part of the show!

Last edited:

TwilightZone

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom