Morocco Pavilion facing financial troubles

DCLcruiser

No, I accept them as a people with an Indo-European heritage. "Indo-European" and "Caucasian" do not mean the same thing.
The theory is based on a proto language shared by all Indo-Aryan and Indo-Europeans. Meaning, they came from the same place and then spread out and specialized. Caucasus Mountain region is that theorized place.

Now, Semetic languages are not in the grouping. They got off the boat and headed south.

So unless you would like to create a new Race category, they are all White (aka Caucasian).

LittleBuford

The theory is based on a proto language shared by all Indo-Aryan and Indo-Europeans. Meaning, they came from the same place and then spread out and specialized. Caucasus Mountain region is that theorized place.
People are free to look the terms up: they are not the same. For one thing, the "Caucasoid race" theory includes groups like the Arabs and Berbers who don't speak Indo-European languages. For another, there are various theories as to the homeland of the Proto-Indo-European people; the most widely accepted places it north of the Caucasus.

DCLcruiser

People are free to look the terms up: they are not the same. For one thing, the "Caucasoid race" theory includes groups like the Arabs and Berbers who don't speak Indo-European languages.
One is based on language (and science), the other is based on traits.

The term, Caucasian, includes them. I didn't say science would group us.

Agreed, Semetic languages (Hebrew/Arabs) and Afro-Asiatic languages (Berbers) are not part of the Proto-Indo-European language tree. Like I joked, they got off the boat and went south, and formed their own language.

LittleBuford

One is based on language (and science), the other is based on traits.

The term, Caucasian, includes them. I didn't say science would group us.

Agreed, Semetic languages (Hebrew/Arabs) and Afro-Asiatic languages (Berbers) are not part of the Proto-Indo-European language tree. Like I joked, they got off the boat and went south, and formed their own language.
We're going around in circles at this point. I stand by my posts. Anyone interested in delving deeper into these terms and concepts can look them up for themselves.

jaklgreen

Many do, yes. And hopefully they throw it out at the end of the day. But I'm telling you I was served a plate from the case. It was on a proper plate rather than the paper ones they typically use. It had clearly been sitting a while.

Here's a random photo of the food prep area. Look at the fryer baskets: falafel balls and fries, just sitting there (rather than under the heat lamp). Pre-cooked, room temp, just waiting to be "freshened up" to order by dropping them for a few seconds.

View attachment 507831

My point is that the quality of that place wasn't good. If you've ever worked in a kitchen, you might understand what I mean. Most of what we eat in restaurants these days comes ready-made out of a can or bag–especially in quick-serve places like this. But there's something to be said for preparing food to order, respecting hold times, and cutting costs without cutting corners. I saw the opposite at Tangerine Cafe.

If you like(d) the food, great! If you don't believe my story, who cares? The conversation came around to one of the few places I've had a bad experience with, so I shared it.

I've actually worked in food for over 30 years. One picture of fries and falafel sitting in they fryer basket does not show the whole picture. IDK at what point that picture was taken and you don't know how long it had been sitting there. It very well could have been there a while, or they could have just pulled them out of the fryer right before you got there. I have never seen the things that you are claiming when I have been there and we eat there several times a trip. And trust me, I look for these kinds of things. I know what is normal in a restaurant and what is not. I am sorry you had a bad experience there and if they did serve you one of the sample plates, you should have refused it and told management. I think the food there is good and I hope they are able to reopen it.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Posts like this baffle me. Would you say the Italy pavilion could be converted into Spain?
Sorry I missed your post.

Baffled you say huh, How so? Visually there are some similarities. I'm not saying it should, just that it could. I too was interested in exactly "how" that would happen which is why I posted in reply. But I bet Imagineering could pull it off.

_caleb

Baffled you say huh, How so? Visually there are architectural similarities. I'm not saying it should, just that it could. I too was interested in exactly "how" that would happen which is why I posted in reply. But I bet Imagineering could pull it off.
I think he’s saying (and I would agree) that there aren’t as many similarities and some might think. Of course WDI could figure out a way to convert the pavilion to another country! The architectural details are what makes Disney’s theming the best in the wold. The things that make the Morocco pavilion “Morocco” and not “some nondescript country in North Africa.” Even if you haven’t been to Morocco, you would probably notice the (sometimes subtle) differences that make it feel “right” or would make it feel “off.” Not always, but generally.

All it would take time and money for WDI to convincingly theme the pavilion after another country. But they would lose Morocco, which is a pretty awesome place in real life, and makes for a really beautiful pavilion!

Also, I’m not sure why some fans seem to think that European countries should get their own pavilions, but that regions from other parts of the world should share more generally-themed regional pavilions.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think he’s saying (and I would agree) that there aren’t as many similarities and some might think. Of course WDI could figure out a way to convert the pavilion to another country! The architectural details are what makes Disney’s theming the best in the wold. The things that make the Morocco pavilion “Morocco” and not “some nondescript country in North Africa.” Even if you haven’t been to Morocco, you would probably notice the (sometimes subtle) differences that make it feel “right” or would make it feel “off.” Not always, but generally.

All it would take time and money for WDI to convincingly theme the pavilion after another country. But they would lose Morocco, which is a pretty awesome place in real life, and makes for a really beautiful pavilion!
There is a lot of opinion and speculation in your post but I won't knock it. I thank you for elaborating on @LittleBufford's behalf. I agree with most of what you're saying. The Morocco pavilion IS* visually nice but again, tweaking it to become a different country or region is doable. That's all I was stating. Shame they lost their sponsor. I guess with all things tied to IPs these days I just figured WDI would be looking to reworking the pavilion. And I'd much rather it be based on a real place vs a fictitious Agrabah, be that Egypt or otherwise. But it could just as easily stay Morocco. (and likely should)

Also, I’m not sure why some fans seem to think that European countries should get their own pavilions, but that regions from other parts of the world should share more generally-themed regional pavilions.

Do they?

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Baffled you say huh, How so? Visually there are some similarities. I'm not saying it should, just that it could. I too was interested in exactly "how" that would happen which is why I posted in reply. But I bet Imagineering could pull it off.
Besides multiple smaller elements, there are two hulking great structures—a minaret and a gateway—modelled closely on actual Moroccan monuments. They look very different from their Egyptian counterparts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom