Downtown Disney District Extends to Buena Vista Street

TDL

Surprised they aren't making places like Award Wieners or Schmoozies part of this considering their easy proximity. I'm assuming there will be Churro and Concession carts too even though they aren't mentioned. Maybe if they expand this further later.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Surprised they aren't making places like Award Wieners or Schmoozies part of this considering their easy proximity. I'm assuming there will be Churro and Concession carts too even though they aren't mentioned. Maybe if they expand this further later.
I expect this is just a "Test Balloon", if this is successful you'll see other areas open up on both sides of the esplanade.

mickEblu

I agree with the entertainment. The red car trolley adds so much atmosphere!

The danger is not in opening soarin. The danger is encouraging visitors from out of the area. Is it necessary or not is up for debate, but it does make sense.

I mean people are encouraged to go either way. Soarin or no Soarin. We re all bored to death. My sister and bro in law are at WDW right now for this very reason and its their first trip there ever... masks, limited hours and all. People are going to seek out entertainment. If not Disneyland, somewhere else. They re not just going to stay home.

Th3 DUd3

My idea for Disney. No, I am not about to go back and read 317 pages.

Temporarily expand Downtown Disney to Include Main Street(Up to refreshment corner) and Buena Vista Street closing off at the hub free of charge. Each area has one "restaurant" (Carnation Cafe & Carthay Circle) and can be considered an outdoor mall.
6/24/2020 They just took 4 months to do what I said in June

October82

I mean people are encouraged to go either way. Soarin or no Soarin. We re all bored to death. My sister and bro in law are at WDW right now for this very reason and its their first trip there ever... masks, limited hours and all. People are going to seek out entertainment. If not Disneyland, somewhere else. They re not just going to stay home.

But most people aren't going to travel long distances to gather in a place with many others for extended amounts of time. One of the misleading things is that theme parks and sporting events have been discussed as if they're similar. Sporting events often draw locals, but place them in close contact for long amounts of time. Theme parks like Disneyland and Universal bring large numbers of people from many communities together and lead to many short interactions. The risk of Covid spreading is smaller for each individual interaction, which misleads people into thinking they are "safe", but because of the travel dynamics, they can lead to many more people being infected overall, and in many more communities. It comes down to the difference between personal safety and public health. They're not the same thing.

mickEblu

But most people aren't going to travel long distances to gather in a place with many others for extended amounts of time. One of the misleading things is that theme parks and sporting events have been discussed as if they're similar. Sporting events often draw locals, but place them in close contact for long amounts of time. Theme parks like Disneyland and Universal bring large numbers of people from many communities together and lead to many short interactions. The risk of Covid spreading is smaller for each individual interaction, which misleads people into thinking they are "safe", but because of the travel dynamics, they can lead to many more people being infected overall, and in many more communities. It comes down to the difference between personal safety and public health. They're not the same thing.

Im not disagreeing with this logic but I don't think that these 4 theme parks that are closed in California are going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things. Not when the rest of the country has moved on for the most part and not when masks, social distancing and other safety protocols are in place. We're probably safer from catching Corona or any other airborne virus than we have been in our lifetime.

Last edited:

October82

Im not disagreeing with this logic but I don't think that these 4 theme parks that are closed in California are going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things. Not when the rest of the country has moved on for the most part and not with masks, social distancing and other safety protocols in place. We're probably safer from catching Corona or any other virus than we have been in our lifetime.

With everything, we have to weigh the pros against the cons. Having open theme parks is definitely an issue from a public health perspective, but how much of an issue is difficult to estimate. At the same time, it is not necessary to have theme parks open for society to function, so there is also little benefit to opening them unnecessarily. To be clear, that doesn't mean that there are not impacts on jobs and other things, there absolutely are. But those impacts need to be weighed against the public health concerns and not looked at on their own.

And while I'm sympathetic to the perspective that many people are "ready to move on", there are reasonable estimates that another 100-200,000 people will die from Covid. It is especially crucial that we do not act rashly given the increasing rates of spread in our communities, especially as the danger will be largest in the northeast and midwest in the winter.

mickEblu

With everything, we have to weigh the pros against the cons. Having open theme parks is definitely an issue from a public health perspective, but it may be the case that the impact is minimal. At the same time, it is not necessary to have theme parks open for society to function, so there is little benefit to opening them unnecessarily. To be clear, that doesn't mean that there are not impacts on jobs and other things, there absolutely are. But those impacts need to be weighed against the public health concerns and not looked at on their own.

And while I'm sympathetic to the perspective that many people are "ready to move on", there are reasonable estimates that another 100-200,000 people will die from Covid. It is especially crucial that we do not act rashly given the increasing rates of spread in our communities, especially as the danger will be largest in the northeast and midwest in the winter.

IMO with all things considered I believe the negative economic impact is > then the amount of potential cases that might be limited by having these theme parks closed.

Zoos, aquariums and many other businesses that are open are also not necessary but they are and were given the green light by Newsom

October82

IMO with all things considered I believe the negative economic impact is > then the amount of potential cases that might be limited by having these theme parks closed.

While I respect that we can disagree about it, I think we need to be more careful in our assessment. In my view, the state guidelines are a reasonable compromise between competing perspectives.

To be clear @mickEblu, I'm aiming these comments more at people who are frustrated with the parks remaining closed and feel that the continued closure is unjustifiable or being done for political purposes or the like, not at people like yourself who have reasonable disagreements about where they think the risk level is and the cost/benefits are. We can disagree on the policy and talk more about why as long as we can agree on the basic facts.

mickEblu

While I respect that we can disagree about it, I think we need to be more careful in our assessment. In my view, the state guidelines are a reasonable compromise between competing perspectives.

To be clear @mickEblu, I'm aiming these comments more at people who are frustrated with the parks remaining closed and feel that the continued closure is unjustifiable or being done for political purposes or the like, not at people like yourself who have reasonable disagreements about where they think the risk level is and the cost/benefits are. We can disagree on the policy and talk more about why as long as we can agree on the basic facts.

I try to be reasonable and most of my opinions just come from common sense (I guess) as I rarely watch the news and I don't have any strong feelings toward either political party. I believe Coronavirus is real (although maybe not quite as catastrophic as the media has made it out to be) but I also believe it's time to move on safely and I believe Disney and most of the rest of the world has proven that that's possible.

TDL

I expect this is just a "Test Balloon", if this is successful you'll see other areas open up on both sides of the esplanade.
Sure. If a similar strategy were to hit DL, I suspect they would go through Main Street, into Adventureland, and all the way through New Orleans Square and Frontierland along the riverfront. That's the bulk of the dining options and most of it already is primarily outdoor seating. I don't see them opening up any other part of the park though which is more attraction heavy with only sparse dining options (or indoor-focused dining options).

October82

I try to be reasonable and most of my opinions just come from common sense (I guess) as I rarely watch the news and I don't have any strong feelings toward either political party. I believe Coronavirus is real but I also believe it's time to move on safely and I believe Disney and most of the rest of the world has proven that that's possible.

I actually also don't watch the news on the coronavirus. Although I'm not a biologist, I am a scientist, so I've tried to based my perspective on my reading of the scientific literature and research friends of mine who are now studying Covid have done. I am deeply concerned that the next 4-5 months may be as bad as anything we have seen before and I think we need to take an extraordinarily cautious approach while being prepared to reimplement more severe restrictions. In California, I do not expect things to change too much from the "new normal", but other parts of the US and Europe are probably going to have a "rough" winter. As with everything, right now, what we can do personally is try to stay safe and hope that policy makers are basing their decisions on the best available information.

Stevek

Sure. If a similar strategy were to hit DL, I suspect they would go through Main Street, into Adventureland, and all the way through New Orleans Square and Frontierland along the riverfront. That's the bulk of the dining options and most of it already is primarily outdoor seating. I don't see them opening up any other part of the park though which is more attraction heavy with only sparse dining options (or indoor-focused dining options).
I'm boycotting unless they open up Alien Pizza Planet 🤮

I actually could go for a Jolly Holiday Combo while listening to the main street music loop...Christmas preferably.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Great news!

I'd love it if they put some characters on the Red Car Trolley and drove it around to wave at people. Then had Five & Dime on their big Duesenberg playing Christmas jazz music, just to give it that unique Disney flavor.

img_1646-sm-wm.jpg

I find it really interesting that they can do this, but can't operate the theme park. It's apparently safe to wander around Buena Vista Street, eat at Carthay Circle, get a Starbucks at Fiddler Fifer, shop at all the stores for entirely non-essential merchandise, wave at the characters as they drive by.

But the moment you let anyone go on Soarin' or Monsters Inc.... it's deadly!

I think TDA sees this as a strategy to prove it's perfectly safe to run a theme park, just like it's perfectly safe to run a Target or a Red Robin or a hair salon.
4pm post today still? Please??

ElvisMickey

That wannabe Walt Disney dude with the stupid 1920s costume could hardly wait to put a video out there...that hardly anyone has watched. Get a life.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

I’ve never understood the vitriol for vloggers from the fan community. Are some of them annoying as hell? Yes. Do some of their cartoon voices make me want to bash my head in? Yes. Some of them however are good. I’ve said it before Fresh Baked got a lot better when the girl left and he changed his format around. That offhand Disney guy is pretty good too. Justin Scarred puts out some great Disney history vlogs like the one on Mine Train thru Natures Wonderland. Like any other medium- there is good and bad content. I guess I just don’t understand what the difference is from what we re doing here except for the fact that they are getting paid to do what we do all day long for free. Which means people are watching these vlogs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom