Unimpressed with Animal Kingdom

Hcalvert

I don't know how things are during covid regarding things that are open and closed? I think like the pp mentioned, the Oasis a ton of people rush through and miss a lot of the animals that are there. I could ride KS over and over and see something new each time. Last time we went, we were held up for 30 minutes by several giraffe that decided they wanted to hang out in the road--best up close photo ops we've ever gotten, especially of the baby they had then. We love the Gorilla trail. The monkeys in Asia are great to watch (can't recall their name off the top of my head). I can't imagine going for the first time though when there were no live shows--Festival of the Lion King is awesome! I know some can't stand it, but Nemo holds a nostalgic place for us. I guess all I can say is that you can't command animals to make appearances.
I love the safari. Every ride is different and I am never disappointed. The last time I went in July, the lion and lionesses were having a roar fest. It was awesome to hear them, especially in the early afternoon.

Raineman

I'm not sure how many animals you were expecting-DAK is not a zoo, it is a theme park with the main theme of conservation. The Pangani Trail, Rafiki's Planet Watch, Maharaja Jungle Trek and Kilimanjaro Safaris offer plenty of animal viewing; the two trails allow for setting your own pace and extended animal watching. The scenery is beautiful, the theming is cohesive and authentic, and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. It is not a theme park in the traditional sense, but that's one reason why so many people love it; you'll find that many people list it as the second best park on property after MK.

erasure fan1

The animal kingdom is a mixed bag when it comes to opinions. It really boils down to what interests you. Personally I agree with the OP that the park is gorgeous but is lacking in things to do. A lot of the conversation with AK seems to land on one of 2 sides. Either you think it is a beautiful park but it's lacking in the things to do catagory, and is really a "half day park". Or you really love it and think that the people who say there isn't enough to do are "doing it wrong". I've said it before, I think animal kingdom needs more rides. one of the reasons people spend the most time in the magic kingdom, is you can spend the entire day and still not get to everything, but at the same time feel 100% satisfied.You shouldn't have to do a bunch of things that don't interest you to make it a full day. Unfortunately, I think animal kingdom right now must really feel empty and not worth it with all the shows not running.

If animal kingdom had one more headliner and a couple more C and D scale rides. It would rival the magic kingdom in my opinion. Personally I love it, but I understand and can agree why a lot of people find it lacking.

FutureCEO

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park after Epcot fell off a cliff. But it could use more animals (Brazil, Australia) but won't. Disney won't stop paying executives millions for that.

AK does need more rides. I've never been on the water ride in Avatar but I heard it's way too short. Between a fastpass for that or Flights, I'll choose Flights of Passage any day.

Just a Spark!

The animal kingdom is a mixed bag when it comes to opinions. It really boils down to what interests you. Personally I agree with the OP that the park is gorgeous but is lacking in things to do. A lot of the conversation with AK seems to land on one of 2 sides. Either you think it is a beautiful park but it's lacking in the things to do catagory, and is really a "half day park". Or you really love it and think that the people who say there isn't enough to do are "doing it wrong". I've said it before, I think animal kingdom needs more rides. one of the reasons people spend the most time in the magic kingdom, is you can spend the entire day and still not get to everything, but at the same time feel 100% satisfied.You shouldn't have to do a bunch of things that don't interest you to make it a full day. Unfortunately, I think animal kingdom right now must really feel empty and not worth it with all the shows not running.

If animal kingdom had one more headliner and a couple more C and D scale rides. It would rival the magic kingdom in my opinion. Personally I love it, but I understand and can agree why a lot of people find it lacking.
Totally agree with the ‘mixed bag of opinions.’ Our family rates AK as 4th in the parks line-up, but we still like it. Entertainment is good, rides are amazing...Flight of Passage is possibly the best ride/experience in the entirety of WDW. BUT...as a reason for not rating it higher...we live close to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium (Jack Hanna) which is huge and very AK-esque with theming, and experiences. That said, we spend significantly less time with the animals at AK, so it becomes a half-day park for us. Not sure I would do it with Park Pass, but for those who plan to spend equal time with the rides AND the animals, I would recommend it wholeheartedly!

ils

My first time visiting was as a 17 year old in 1999 and back then it truly was an half a day park. Fast forward 20 years and I returned back last February and the improvement was vast. EE had been built and is my favourite thrill ride at WDW, Pandora was amazing and although I enjoyed FOP I wouldn't say it was a game changer as much as other people suggest. We had a great day there and in essence completed the park but and here is the but.... when we return in 2023 on predominantly Universal holiday, I won't be returning back to AK. The likelihood is during this current period of time there will be no new additions and the park doesn't have that must attend on every trip wow factor like MK or Epcot has.

But and this is where I contradict myself, if there was one park I would recommend any first time visitor to attend alongside MK then it would be AK. It's unique, has a good feel about it and Pandora is a must see.

Last edited:

cgersic

I completely agree that the first time visitor shouldn't do it now. The music, the entertainers and live shows keep the park humming. But if you didn't see animals, you definitely weren't looking hard enough! Yes, some of them are hidden, but they are literally everywhere at that park. Give it a second chance after the entertainment returns. I'd say the same for Epcot.

Ldno

Ehhhh, you shouldn’t judge this park if it’s the first time going during covid, right Now we are getting a discount AK experience to be honest.

The one thing I truly hate about this park, has to do with accessibility, despite being the biggest park out of all four, it’s the hardest to go from point a to b, you can’t take just shortcuts, but that’s just me. Expedition Everest has got to be one of the best ride of all time for me that fits the park perfectly IMHO!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Outside of Lion King, Nemo, and a couple of streetmosphere bands not playing, not much has changed at AK since Covid started.

Michaelson

It's also 4th on my list of parks to visit, as well as I still like to go.

I'm just not into Avatar, so that part of the park, though interesting, is pretty much a mystery to me. I've seen the film, but I just don't get the decision of Disney putting so much money and dedicated real estate into it.

What I DO find amusing is to get there first thing in the morning and watch the folks who REALLY want to be first in line on the Pandora ride to go at a dead run through the park at rope drop (even with CM's calling for them to slow down), only to see them find that the resort folks are already there in line and a 75 minute minimum wait is already posted. 😄

I also love the dessert they have at the Pandora restaurant that's a cheese cake like thing that looks plastic, but is DELICIOUS!

It has several great points, but I'm getting older, and EPCOT is top of my list, with MK a very close second and Hollywood a close 3rd.

AK is good, but if you're looking for a zoo, this is not really the park you're seeking, though it has quite a few animals to see, they're pretty spread out.

JMO, though.

Regards! Michaelson

Fable McCloud

I have 2 major problems with AK.

The first is that it's hard on wheelchairs. There's a lot of hills and it's rough pathways.

The second is that everything is so spaced out. While I agree that the park is gorgeous and has a nice organic feel, it's hard to get around the meandering paths to find things, or get anywhere quickly.

I occasionally need a cane or a wheelchair and it's really hard for me to move around AK. It's nice to just sit and watch the animals, but I can do that at home for free. If I'm in a park I want to ride things and do experiences I can't get elsewhere.

Also, Pandora may be pretty, and if anyone could make it come to life it was Disney, but Avatar just doesn't feel like it belongs there. I would have loved the long awaited Beastly Kingdom, but Avatar isn't as accessible. Most young kids are unfamiliar with the series and the sequels are delayed thanks to the pandemic. It also feels really empty in that area...

If you ride the Safari early, you can see a lot of animals. Same with walking the trails. We usually go, see all the animals, and then spend the afternoon riding all the rides. We'd probably skip it if it wasn't for EE. That's my favorite rollercoaster on property, hands down.

el_super

I was very disappointed in AK and the over all time I spent at the park.

How would you overall describe your approach to theme parks? Are you going for the rides? The shows? That nebulous concept of "Disney" magic? Animal Kingdom doesn't really fall into the same category as the other three parks at WDW. There isn't an abundance of rides to check off a list or big entertainment spectaculars. If you approach it like you would the other three parks (or even just other parks in general), it would seem like it's lacking. The real experience of being in Animal Kingdom is seeing the animals, listening to the trees and exploring the nooks and crannies. Animal Kingdom's size and (for Disney) generally moderate attendance played well into this experience, usually allowing for a park that wasn't too crowded, allowing guests to explore and be alone with nature.

Maybe you have to be a little older to appreciate the slower pace. Even as someone who likes to spend a lot of time in nature, sometimes you just have to be in the right mood to be willing to listen to the trees....

Animal Kingdom is (to me) easily the best park at Walt Disney World. That isn't to say though that your critique is invalid though. Clearly the problem of Animal Kingdom not feeling like the other theme parks has been something Disney has been wrestling with for a long time, as they have worked to add coasters, big-budget e-tickets and nighttime spectaculars over the years to bring it more in line with guest expectations. Overall it's a huge issue for Disney to struggle against pushing the boundaries of what their parks are supposed to be, versus what they could be. Animal Kingdom is different from what a park is supposed to be, and for some that's a big problem. For others it's the core strength of the park.

So if you are disappointed in that experience, would you like to see them add more rides/attractions and big things to see?

aliceismad

Sorry Animal Kingdom wasn't to your taste. Animal Kingdom is my favorite park after Magic Kingdom. No, there are not as many rides, but there are a few standouts. Also the Lion King show might be the best show at Disney. The depth of theming is amazing, and I have found animals to be plentiful. I love how spread out the park is and how many meandering paths there are. With regard to animals, it is very similar to any other zoo environment where animals are most active at certain times of the day and one cannot be upset if they happen to miss out on seeing a particular species. Animals sleep, they hide, etc.

Also we've found the food to be the best, other than Epcot. Yak and Yeti was great. Satu'li Canteen was excellent, considering its mass production environment. Flame Tree, Tiffins, and Tusker House were all good. Of course I have no idea how COVID has affected things.

Fortunately, WDW is large enough that there is something for everyone. So now you know what you'd prefer.

Animaniac93-98

"Not a Zoo" was marketing spin in the early 2000s to reshape expectations about a severely underbuilt park.

People are used to going to regional zoos, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens etc where seeing animals or going on rides is easy because they're all over the park and very noticeable. Disney tried a different approach and then got disappointed that they couldn't change decades of industry expectations and dismiss criticisms that the park only opened with 4 rides. In the end they had to suck it up and build more rides and add a night time show because that's what their audience wanted.

People shouldn't have to "do their research" or "pay attention" to enjoy themselves. Or do every ride and show to fill their day.

Prototype82

There are literally 2,000 animals there.

I feel bad for you. You came at a time when all of the amazing performers have been cut or laid off. Rivers of Light was incredible when it had live choreography and just plain existed for that matter. The drummers in Pandora were high-energy and engaging. Hell, the drum circle is all shut off and isn't interactive anymore. Pandoran rangers would walk around and teach you things in robotic suits. The streetmosphere was incredible in Africa and Discovery Island. Drummers, bands, harpists, acrobats... It felt alive. It was magical.

Where did you eat? Tiffins, Nomad Lounge and Sa'tuli are amazing places to dine. Animal Kingdom has lost a lot of incredible energy. I'm sorry you had to miss it. It was truly wonderful...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom