Morocco Pavilion facing financial troubles

TrainsOfDisney

On one hand, this seems like sad news. I'm afraid that any traces of authenticity that may have been found in the Morocco pavilion will be gone. But on the other hand, Marrakesh and the Tangierine Cafe were run–let's say, a bit too authentically.

I know it's never been the most popular place to eat in World Showcase. It's expensive and had a lot of options on the menu that weren't chicken fingers. But the hummus was made way ahead of time and portioned out into bowls and wrapped in plastic wrap (for who knows how long). Service was less than Disney-level friendly. You want mint tea? Head over the the drink bar that we haven't used in a few weeks. Stale pastries and faded menu boards are not up to Disney quality. The result? Guests just walk on by.
I would eat there regularly, it was one of my favorites. I’ll miss the chicken gyro and the tangerine couscous!

Certainly possible that you got served a stale pastry, but the baklava I would get was quite good I thought.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Just shoehorn in Aladdin, change it to Arabia or make an IP for Morocco.
The latter option. A new IP. One that can appeal to both girls and boys, with plenty of merch options. And one that can be developed quickly for Disney+ as a series, movie, and as a Disney Junior companion series. An "Elena of Avalor" type adventure series with the main protagonist and his friendly Jinn (Genie) solving mysteries. Then make the attraction a mystery-based clue scavenger hunt game in the same vein as Agent P.

(Whatever happened to that Ducktales overlay?)

UNCgolf

I don’t think this option will be economically viable for many years, by which time the cultural sensitivities surrounding such a project would be even greater.

I don't either. I'd be shocked if they added a ride there in the next decade.

I was just saying if they were desperate to add a ride that's probably the only place one could go without re-doing the entire pavilion.

Animaniac93-98

Disney already said that World Showcase going forward would be about "the world and the worlds inspired by ours".

You can't defend Frozen and Ratatouille and then be surprised and disappointed when they add Aladdin, Wakanda or whatever other IP.

It's the focus of the park going forward. Some of us worried from the start the justification for each new ride would be iffy at best.

I expect a pause due to the pandemic, but not a radical change in strategy going forward.

Animaniac93-98

That pavilion is in a tough spot right now. With no attraction, no meet and greet, no live entertainment and food that people tended to be wary of - and it is very easy to just walk by. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney leave it largely closed until the park is back to something like normal.

I wonder would Disney ever consider swapping Morocco for another country they feel would push more revenue?

Keep the bones of the structures (kitchen, restrooms, back of house etc) and change the facades and décor?

Basil of Baker Street

On one hand, this seems like sad news. I'm afraid that any traces of authenticity that may have been found in the Morocco pavilion will be gone. But on the other hand, Marrakesh and the Tangierine Cafe were run–let's say, a bit too authentically.

I know it's never been the most popular place to eat in World Showcase. It's expensive and had a lot of options on the menu that weren't chicken fingers. But the hummus was made way ahead of time and portioned out into bowls and wrapped in plastic wrap (for who knows how long). Service was less than Disney-level friendly. You want mint tea? Head over the the drink bar that we haven't used in a few weeks. Stale pastries and faded menu boards are not up to Disney quality. The result? Guests just walk on by.
Tangerine had some of the best food in all of Disney.

_caleb

It was good, when it was fresh. Which was hardly ever.

See how the food in the case is covered in plastic wrap? That's because it isn't a display sample. Those are literally the dishes they made up that morning (or who know when) and serve to customers. It's fine if you like the food, calling it "the best in all of Disney" hurts your credibility a bit.

IMG_20141213_144008543_HDR.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

It was good, when it was fresh. Which was hardly ever.

See how the food in the case is covered in plastic wrap? That's because it isn't a display sample. Those are literally the dishes they made up that morning (or who know when) and serve to customers. It's fine if you like the food, calling it "the best in all of Disney" hurts your credibility a bit.

View attachment 507704
That is not the food served to customers. That was plated for display.

That display was typically on the right side for people to see while waiting to order. The food would be prepped on the left side unless both sides were being used during holiday weekends.

Lying like that hurts your credibility.

Lilofan

It's ok but the Arabic small business kebab/ hookah locations in Kissimmee are better. Go to place where locals enjoy their food and or smoke those hookah things which I do not. Some of those places close as late as 2am including serving food.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Again: Aladdin and Jasmine have already had a M&G at Morocco with Genie in the lamp.

So, if y'all keep saying "they're going to add Aladdin!", I'll have to alert the Time Cops that you're fugitives of the past.

BTW, Aladdin and Jasmine's story is that they're visiting Morocco. They will most definitely tell you that you're not in Agrabah.

GimpYancIent

Again: Aladdin and Jasmine have already had a M&G at Morocco with Genie in the lamp.

So, if y'all keep saying "they're going to add Aladdin!", I'll have to alert the Time Cops that you're fugitives of the past.

BTW, Aladdin and Jasmine's story is that they're visiting Morocco. They will most definitely tell you that you're not in Agrabah.
Exactly! The guests will enjoy it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom