Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

BuzzedPotatoHead89

This really ignores the political climate in California and that the officials in charge are really doing so under the mandate of the public at large (that's hot democracy works). The parks may end up suing, but doing so risks alienating and upsetting a large segment of their prime local visitor base, the majority of which are supportive of health and safety guidelines. Additionally going counter to the guidelines could result in a similar situation as in Florida, where even if they are open, people refuse to travel because they feel the parks are still unsafe and unnecessary.

Violating recommended safety processes in order to open too soon can be damaging to the brand for a much longer time than this temporary closure will last.
Perhaps. But blindly following one political party (in the eyes of the average CA voter) because the other is perceived as worse in a state where most of the populance is more focused on other objectives does not equate to a far reaching mandate of this proportion.

When people eventually look around and realize their favorire businesses are adversely impacted by the politicians they support I don’t think they’ll say to themselves “ah, this is what I voted for”.

Stevek

Original Poster
I think they should get the 18 wheelers queued up for the move to Texas , I bet they would be able to open sooner in Austin than Anaheim
Will never happen IMO...but I would see them announcing more layoffs now. Basically, if they assume that they will not open until Q1/Q2 of 2021, there really is no reason for them to have anyone on the payroll outside of whatever maintenance is needed to keep the park up. I would expect the vast majority of all construction to stop at this point. At some point, they will have to "guess" when they are going open and hire enough people that can be trained and ready for opening day.

Guys...it's a theme park. Alright, most people look at one during these times and thinks "Nope." Even if they can operate safely anywhere else the majority of California doesn't want them open. Just look at any tweet from that Disney rally. That thing was a joke. I do disagree with Newsom's tier system though.

Last edited:

TP2000

If you want Disneyland to reopen, do everything you can to support OC and Anaheim moving into the Yellow Tier: send a message to the Board of Supervisors and Anaheim City Council telling them you want to see more being done to control the spread of the virus. Tell them you want to see more enforcement of mask wearing and social distancing. Tell them you want responsible re-openings to include reducing unnecessary interactions, allowing people to work from home and discontinue friendly gatherings and business luncheons.

We absolutely could have been done with this by now, if people hadn't been so resistant to obvious safety precautions during a pandemic.

Wear a mask and wash your hands.

Getting down to 1 case per 100,000 residents in the Yellow Tier is impossible until everyone has either had it, or been vaccinated.

Look at Europe where they had all the same mask and economy shutdowns that California has had, and see how their cases have spiked in recent weeks. The European countries, most of whom are smaller in population than just the state of California, have case rates per 100,000 currently that are astronomically higher than California's very small case rates....

Los Angeles County = 10.1 cases per 100,000
Orange County = 4.6 cases per 100,000
France = 213 cases per 100,000
United Kingdom = 170 cases per 100,000
Germany = 42 cases per 100,000
Netherlands = 276 cases per 100,000

The lowest case rate in the European Union this week is in Iceland.

Iceland = 6 cases per 100,000

Even if they moved Disneyland to Iceland, they still couldn't reopen. Iceland is in the Red Tier.

Maybe our friend @DrAlice can weigh in. But getting down to only 1 case per 100,000 on a 7 day rolling average is basically the eradication of the virus.

It's not just getting the vaccine started, it's waiting until everyone in California has been vaccinated and the virus is gone. What am I missing there? I am not a medical professional, but 1 case in every 100,000 people seems extremely small.

Bob Harlem

anaheim.jpg

PostScott

Basically no small parks are within the SoCal area, except for the Los Angeles county. However, the LA County is in the worst shape out of all the other counties so the smaller parks won't even be able to open.

The relationship between the state of Disney has officially been broken (from the small thread that was connecting it). The state is punishing the big boys for pushing him and his team. This is their punishment. I say sue, theres nothing much left for Disney to do now. Either they can take it like a "good" boy and reopen in summer or take it up to the state.

TP2000

I continue to marvel and be impressed with how forceful the language is from Disney's senior executives on this.

The guidelines mean Disneyland will be closed for a very long time, and then hopefully reopen much later in 2021 at a small fraction of its designed capacity.

That is an unworkable business model, even for big evil corporations like Disney (Paging Dr. Moreno!). It just doesn't work, it puts Disneyland out of business.

It's too bad they had to get to this point to push back on Sacramento. Even as forceful and blunt as the current language from Disney is... it's too little, too late. :(

The theme park industry in California is toast. Just think what the executives at small companies that have less access to capital and cashflow must be thinking today... Sea World, Knott's Berry Farm, Legoland.

Last edited:

Gottalovepluto

Those are the Northern California counties that have a few thousand people versus the 50,000 coyotes in each county.

Modoc County is not the point of reference that Orange County and Los Angeles County can use.

Don’t worry. Next update they’ll have to start testing coyotes for COVID and that’ll take care of this sparsely populated counties being in the yellow tier nonsense.

Those are the Northern California counties that have a few thousand people versus the 50,000 coyotes in each county.

Modoc County is not the point of reference that Orange County and Los Angeles County can use.

One of those counties is Humboldt, where I went to undergraduate school. It has a population of 135,000. I wouldn't call that a few thousand.

Stevek

Original Poster
Getting down to 1 case per 100,000 residents in the Yellow Tier is impossible until everyone has either had it, or been vaccinated.

Look at Europe where they had all the same mask and economy shutdowns that California has had, and see how their cases have spiked in recent weeks. The European countries, most of whom are smaller in population than just the state of California, have case rates per 100,000 currently that are astronomically higher than California's very small case rates....

Los Angeles County = 10.1 cases per 100,000
Orange County = 4.6 cases per 100,000
France = 213 cases per 100,000
United Kingdom = 170 cases per 100,000
Germany = 42 cases per 100,000
Netherlands = 276 cases per 100,000

The lowest case rate in the European Union this week is in Iceland.

Iceland = 6 cases per 100,000

Even if they moved Disneyland to Iceland, they still couldn't reopen. Iceland is in the Red Tier.

Maybe our friend @DrAlice can weigh in. But getting down to only 1 case per 100,000 on a 7 day rolling average is basically the eradication of the virus.

It's not just getting the vaccine started, it's waiting until everyone in California has been vaccinated and the virus is gone. What am I missing there? I am not a medical professional, but 1 case in every 100,000 people seems extremely small.
Meanwhile we just moved back into the purple tier in Riverside county...all indoor seating closed again. $%&#!!!!

I felt very, very safe the handful of times I ate indoors locally and was looking forward to hitting a couple of our favorites in Big Bear this weekend.

George Lucas on a Bench

I continue to marvel and be impressed with how forceful the language is from Disney's senior executives on this.

The guidelines mean Disneyland will be closed for a very long time, and then hopefully reopen much later in 2021 at a small fraction of its designed capacity.

That is an unworkable business model, even for big evil corporations like Disney (Paging Dr. Moreno!). It just doesn't work, it puts Disneyland out of business.

It's too bad they had to get to this point to push back on Sacramento. Even as forceful and blunt as the current language from Disney is... it's too little, too late. :(

The theme park industry in California is toast. Just think what the executives at small companies that have less access to capital and cashflow must be thinking today... Sea World, Knott's Berry Farm, Legoland.

I feel bad for President Ken. What's-her-name suddenly abandoned ship and went to work for a division of the company that can actually make money while this poor guy was suddenly put in charge at the worst time ever in the history of Disneyland. He probably thought they'd be open over the summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom