Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

If it doesn’t spike significantly (and that’s a big if IMO), it may be that the virus infected ALOT more people asymptomatically and the virus has hit a bit of a wall. It will also mean Floridians are actually practicing mask wearing despite meaningful consequences for failing to do so (I.e. a citation and fine)

again, a big if.
I'm up in MA, and while our town's case count remains relatively low (65 active cases, 3 new positives in a population of 60,000), we're back in the red zone after being in the green less than a month ago. There are state fines in place, but enforcement hasn't been really followed through on partly because of the people required to do the enforcing and handing out of fines. The town just hired some people and created a task force of volunteers to handle it.

ABQ

The seven day moving average has been trending slowly up but doesn't look like significant spike yet. If the spike doesn't happen, then we need to ask why. Seen increases in cases in other places after re-openings, so what is different about Florida that is keeping that from happening.
View attachment 507061
How long has it been since the Governor issued the latest change in restrictions?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How long has it been since the Governor issued the latest change in restrictions?
It’s been about 3 weeks. Due to exponential spread (each person infects 2 and then they each infect 2 or 6 total, etc...) it does take time for a spike to emerge. It doesn’t just happen in a few weeks. As we saw in the spring people were way too quick to pat themselves on the back and congratulate each other for no issues with re-openings and then the spike came. So far there’s only been a moderate uptick in cases but I wouldn’t say we are out of the woods yet. This past week alone had a 15% increase in cases week over week and the 7 day daily average is near 3,000 again.

TrainsOfDisney

There’s no way to know either. The answer lies somewhere between nobody and everybody who has gone;) So far no major outbreaks at a theme park (particularly WDW) which I’m sure DLR management is using as exhibit A to petition opening their park in CA.
Not specific to Disney at all but I’m very disappointed in the USA’s tracing. If I knew who was actually catching covid and where, and how, I would be much more open to visiting Disney and other public gathering type places.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not specific to Disney at all but I’m very disappointed in the USA’s tracing. If I knew who was actually catching covid and where, and how, I would be much more open to visiting Disney and other public gathering type places.
Very true. If we only had a consistent, centrally organized response to the pandemic and invested the time and money to ramp up testing and tracing from the beginning I definitely think we’d be further along with both overall cases and also how much of the economy is open. Sadly, instead we got denials, finger pointing, conspiracy theories and ultimately a failed national response. Just calling it like I see it.

oceanbreeze77

It’s been about 3 weeks. Due to exponential spread (each person infects 2 and then they each infect 2 or 6 total, etc...) it does take time for a spike to emerge. It doesn’t just happen in a few weeks. As we saw in the spring people were way too quick to pat themselves on the back and congratulate each other for no issues with re-openings and then the spike came. So far there’s only been a moderate uptick in cases but I wouldn’t say we are out of the woods yet. This past week alone had a 15% increase in cases week over week and the 7 day daily average is near 3,000 again.
A good example of this exp. growth is that this current spike is being attributed to Events surrounding Labor Day weekend. (late aug/early sept)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
210 deaths on the report today. I know those deaths aren't all from today, but who's the person that used to also post the graph that showed where the deaths fall? By now, we surely have some days in the past that are well over 100+ deaths historically?
1603165595061.png

1603165669154.png

Polkadotdress

?

There were 54 new reported deaths in the report today.
Sorry, I mistyped. Your data had 201 “non-resident” deaths. What the heck is that?
Yes!! This!! Back in the “early days” of the spike there was one poster who would always minimize deaths, saying the 100+ didn’t actually happen on that day, and that they were backdated and spread out. Then someone else would roll out the “actual deaths by date” graph.

I think it’s important to note that we can now confirm that there have been days with significantly high death rates, despite the weirdness in the way that the data is released.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Moderna Chief Executive Officer Stéphane Bancel expects interim results from its Covid-19 vaccine trial in November and said the U.S government could give an emergency use nod in December, The Wall Street Journal reported on Monday.

Speaking at the newspaper’s annual Tech Live conference, Bancel also said sufficient interim results from the study takes longer to get and that the government’s permission to use the vaccine may not come until next year.

The first interim analysis of the vaccine’s efficacy will happen when 53 people in the entire study get symptomatic Covid-19, the report said.

“That first analysis is likely to occur in November, but it’s hard to predict exactly which week because it depends on the cases, the number of people getting sick,” the report quoted Bancel as saying."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The seven day moving average has been trending slowly up but doesn't look like significant spike yet. If the spike doesn't happen, then we need to ask why. Seen increases in cases in other places after re-openings, so what is different about Florida that is keeping that from happening.
View attachment 507061

Do you trust them? ...take a guess where I am on that? 🤪

If it doesn’t spike significantly (and that’s a big if IMO), it may be that the virus infected ALOT more people asymptomatically and the virus has hit a bit of a wall. It will also mean Floridians are actually practicing mask wearing despite meaningful consequences for failing to do so (I.e. a citation and fine)

again, a big if.

Relatives in Florida 100% dispute this

I’m sure it’s better AT wdw...but that ain’t good enough.

How many people have been exposed or infected in the parks?

Quite a few. It’s just math. It would take a lot of effort to link it back there that frankly isn’t being invested in widespread enough to accomplish it.

The parks were exempt from the initial shutdown orders in California. Guidelines were recently going to be released but the parks didn’t like them, so they were withheld for additional work. What other groups of businesses were specially exempt and then got to renegotiate their reopening guidelines?

I said that when they were delayed back in May: Disney lobbied them to shut them down...behind the scenes. You just have to read the tea leaves and know how they think. They also didn’t want governor bloated tick and Comcast to put pressure on them in Florida. They’ll get even on that one later...count on it.

It’s been pathetic. A national embarrassment. The ugly truth that’s being exposed is we are not much of a “nation”...the fabric is frayed if not ripped outright.

Europe is really seeing the upward trend of the second wave now, and has gone up fast in the last few weeks. First time round USA sawa rise about 4-5 weeks after Europe. So the 2nd wave rise may yet be on its way.

I hope...hope...the lack of travel widespread does a better job to contain “continent hopping” this time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Moderna Chief Executive Officer Stéphane Bancel expects interim results from its Covid-19 vaccine trial in November and said the U.S government could give an emergency use nod in December, The Wall Street Journal reported on Monday.

Speaking at the newspaper’s annual Tech Live conference, Bancel also said sufficient interim results from the study takes longer to get and that the government’s permission to use the vaccine may not come until next year.

The first interim analysis of the vaccine’s efficacy will happen when 53 people in the entire study get symptomatic Covid-19, the report said.

“That first analysis is likely to occur in November, but it’s hard to predict exactly which week because it depends on the cases, the number of people getting sick,” the report quoted Bancel as saying."

The problem with December is that’s its a billion political “years” from now. We have NO idea what we’ll be dealing with by then

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes!! This!! Back in the “early days” of the spike there was one poster who would always minimize deaths, saying the 100+ didn’t actually happen on that day, and that they were backdated and spread out. Then someone else would roll out the “actual deaths by date” graph.

I think it’s important to note that we can now confirm that there have been days with significantly high death rates, despite the weirdness in the way that the data is released.

The hoaxers have long since taken their “ball” and gone home...for the most part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom