News PHOTOS - Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin switch to Mears shuttles for theme park transportation

tirian

Been across and around the lagoon many times and don't consider it part of our MK experience. Choosing which way to go (monorail or ferry) is a matter of weather, crowds, and just general feeling that morning. We like the views from both. When we've been on the bus it was "this is great we don't have to stand in another line at TTC".

I don't think your opinion is wrong, but why not go further and mandate everyone staying onsite has to fly into MCO and use the Magic Bus because "its part of the experience" Does go to show how we all define experience in different ways and the challenge theme parks have in deciding how/what/why etc.
Not that it matters, but the MK was designed for the lagoon to be part of the theatrical entrance. You’re leaving the concrete parking lot and “real world” and traveling into imagination.

It’s not at all the same as a bus from an airport to a hotel.

But again, I know it’s not practical to use the TTC like that anymore. The resort has too many on-site hotels, and the transportation itself isn’t as reliable or efficient as it used to be.

LastoneOn

Not that it matters, but the MK was designed for the lagoon to be part of the theatrical entrance. You’re leaving the concrete parking lot and “real world” and traveling into imagination.

It’s not at all the same as a bus from an airport to a hotel.

But again, I know it’s not practical to use the TTC like that anymore. The resort has too many on-site hotels, and the transportation itself isn’t as reliable or efficient as it used to be.
An extreme example to make the point that experience is relative, individual. I've not poured over the books on what was intended at MK vs what we have. Nothing terribly theatrical about it anyway, you land on a ferry dock loaded with people, surrounded by gates and fences and start the big rush, dodging strollers, or dodging people with your stroller and all of that. its not very magical or theatrical -although there is occasional bouts of improvisational drama that break out among the crowd. "sure that's how it always starts, the ooh ahh and then comes the running, the screaming" lol

A lot of marketing hype doesn't pan out all around WDW. They do all this concept art and pitches to the consumer and usually we end up with product that looks quite a bit different. I accept that.

Many have said the prefer the disney bus from the airport for, and I'll quote "the immersion" and "the experience" etc. We like the ferry to MK best overall but I certainly would never think along the lines of forcing everyone to use it because I think its best. When we stay onsite we drive, unless we're on the monorail, so haven't been to the bus stops in years. "everyone should...because I like/do" is just kind of silly. Maybe it was just said in jest. Ok.

So, just having a conversation and countering an position with a different point of view.

PolynesianPrincess

Fwiw, if you are at swan, they won't let lyft/uber drop you at the Contemporary. They reroute you to ttc. We paid for a lyft so we wouldn't overload the Boardwalk bus. Bad decision.

Is this just for S&D? I know typically if you tell them you have a reservation for dining, they'll let you in, but with COVID I don't know if that's an option anymore.

Kevin_W

Is this just for S&D? I know typically if you tell them you have a reservation for dining, they'll let you in, but with COVID I don't know if that's an option anymore.
I think they scan your band for reservation. Regardless, I didn't want to lie. Frustrating to be 10 feet from the walking path and not be allowed out of the car.

But we made it to the park before rides started running, so it was convoluted but worked.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Fwiw, if you are at swan, they won't let lyft/uber drop you at the Contemporary. They reroute you to ttc. We paid for a lyft so we wouldn't overload the Boardwalk bus. Bad decision.
Was that security at Contemp turning you around?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, on one hand, I can see why you were frustrated by them blocking your access -- you were screwed over by an unannounced change in the S&D's transportation availability. But on the other hand, it's understandable that WDW would want to protect what little value remains in the CR's proximity to the MK.

PolynesianPrincess

I think they scan your band for reservation. Regardless, I didn't want to lie. Frustrating to be 10 feet from the walking path and not be allowed out of the car.

But we made it to the park before rides started running, so it was convoluted but worked.

Gotcha. We didn't have our bands scanned when we took an Uber to GF a couple weeks back but we came from AKL and it was for dinner. I wonder if it's just from S&D to the Contemp.

Kevin_W

Well, on one hand, I can see why you were frustrated by them blocking your access -- you were screwed over by an unannounced change in the S&D's transportation availability. But on the other hand, it's understandable that WDW would want to protect what little value remains in the CR's proximity to the MK.
Indeed. It's understandable.

She said other disney resorts could drop off there, just not swan and Dolphin.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Indeed. It's understandable.

She said other disney resorts could drop off there, just not swan and Dolphin.
gordon ramsay cooking GIF by Hell's Kitchen

virk4

This is crazy. I'm staying at the Swan in Dec. I'm trying to figure out my options on how to get to the MK, ready to enter, at 8:30.
  1. Uber/cab to Contemporary and lie about going to breakfast
  2. walk to HS studios and take an MK bus at 8 am
  3. uber to TTC and take the monorail at 8 am to MK [if they will stop that early]
  4. uber to TTC and walk IF the GF connection is open [probably not]
  5. I'm not taking the big boat.
  6. take a bus from a boardwalk hotel - if they are not checking magic bands at that point!!]
  7. other?
WDW should be happy to have all of us. This whole thing seems pretty petty.

TrainsOfDisney

Uber/cab to Contemporary and lie about going to breakfast
There is a joffreys in the lobby (if it is currently open?) - you could get breakfast at Joffreys and not lie.
take a bus from a boardwalk hotel - if they are not checking magic bands at that point!!]
This is what I would do. I would often use the boardwalk bus to park hop to/from Epcot as an excuse to get ample hills... those were the days.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
This is crazy. I'm staying at the Swan in Dec. I'm trying to figure out my options on how to get to the MK, ready to enter, at 8:30.
  1. Uber/cab to Contemporary and lie about going to breakfast
  2. walk to HS studios and take an MK bus at 8 am
  3. uber to TTC and take the monorail at 8 am to MK [if they will stop that early]
  4. uber to TTC and walk IF the GF connection is open [probably not]
  5. I'm not taking the big boat.
  6. take a bus from a boardwalk hotel - if they are not checking magic bands at that point!!]
  7. other?
WDW should be happy to have all of us. This whole thing seems pretty petty.
Best bet would be to drive yourself/uber, just get there early. Boardwalk is the easiest/quickest if they aren't checking bands, but I think they will most certainly start doing that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom