Tomorrowland new entrance

Mac Tonight

The large electrical box for the Astro Orbiter tied their hands a bit. Not in love with the flower colors (if they end up that way) but at least the white spires tie in with classic tomorrowland
I'm fine with them paying homage to the classic look, but sadly that's as far as it goes. Unless they plan to do the whole land in that style, it just promises something it doesn't deliver on.

mickEblu

I'm fine with them paying homage to the classic look, but sadly that's as far as it goes. Unless they plan to do the whole land in that style, it just promises something it doesn't deliver on.

We got some serious TL 67 and TL 98 clashing going on here. What are they doing?

Just a microcosm of how they have no vision or planning skills.

And exactly, I said the same when the concept art was first released. They better go all the way with it and commit to the 67 style and also put some kinetic energy back into the land.

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

I actually dug up their "plan" from the WDW Peoplemover Closure Thread.

Do you have a sense of what the latest was on a New Tomorrowland for DL pre-COVID?

Presumably anything they were thinking is in the bin at this point, but I'm curious what kind of lead they were thinking of taking.
Long term plans in two phases optioned Tron coaster with the removal of the subs and Autopia, repurpose of the carousel building, Star Tours overhaul/overlay and Buzz overlay. And removal of the overhead tracks.

So, not sure how much of this will be brought back post-Covid, but there it is... or was.

mickEblu

I actually dug up their "plan" from the WDW Peoplemover Closure Thread.

So, not sure how much of this will be brought back post-Covid, but there it is... or was.

Sounds terrible. I don’t trust that modern Disney would adapt Tron into Disneyland’s small footprint. I feel like it would be more or less a copy paste with a gigantic show building next to the Matterhorn/ on top of Autopia. Id welcome a Buzz overlay (but would also be good with an enhanced Buzz) and can live with a Star Tours overhaul/ overlay but I doubt it would end up better or have the longevity of what is there now. Also no mention of any sort of kinetic every for the land. Yeah I’m hoping this gets cancelled and revisited in a long time when the current regime is long gone. The entrance concept art tells me everything I need to know about this TL redo. Or at least what it was going to be before the end of the world struck in March.

Mac Tonight

Sounds terrible. I don’t trust that modern Disney would adapt Tron into Disneyland’s small footprint. I feel like it would be more or less a copy paste with a gigantic show building next to the Matterhorn/ on top of Autopia. Id welcome a Buzz overlay (but would also be good with an enhanced Buzz) and can live with a Star Tours overhaul/ overlay but I doubt it would end up better or have the longevity of what is there now. Also no mention of any sort of kinetic every for the land. Yeah I’m hoping this gets cancelled and revisited in a long time when the current regime is long gone. The entrance concept art tells me everything I need to know about this TL redo. Or at least what it was going to be before the end of the world struck in March.
Agreed. The Tron showbuilding alone would be an egregious addition to that already cramped area of the park.
While I'd hate to lose Buzz (or at least a shooter attraction), it definitely needs a face-lift. I'm more than fine with removing Star Tours and either relocating it to SWL or simply retiring the concept for something else futuristic (or retro-futuristic). Definitely don't see them touching this until at least 2025, and I'd hope they could come up with something better by that point.

mickEblu

The best we can hope for is the land to FEEL like TL 67. As far as content, I still anticipate IP to be all over the place. With that said, I guess something like Wall E would be better than Nemo and Buzz

Mac Tonight

The best we can hope for is the land to FEEL like TL 67. As far as content, I still anticipate IP to be all over the place. With that said, I guess something like Wall E would be better than Nemo and Buzz
I'd want the aesthetic of TL 67 with the attractions of 80's Epcot Center (modified slightly). I know Buzz and Nemo are there now, but I kind of don't want to see that area become a mini Pixar-land.

TP2000

Thank goodness, part of me will miss them but they also didn't help with crowds in the slightest and weren't very pretty.

Those rocks were a great example of how suddenly weak a concept can become when you reduce the budget too much and cheapen the overall design.

The rocks added in 1998's land redo were supposed to be part of a larger Tomorrowland design aesthetic based on 1992's fully fleshed out Discoveryland concept from Disneyland Paris. But the Tomorrowland project in Anaheim had its budget slashed again and again in the mid 1990's by the newly arrived Paul Pressler. The result in 1998 when New Tomorrowland opened was disastrous all over the land, but the few remaining theme elements that WDI was able to keep seemed diminished and rather pointless once it was all done. The entry rockwork is a perfect example of that.

Even after all the mid 90's budget cuts that reduced the project to just paint and some slapped-on decoration, the land was supposed to look like this...

bf5ca3ef75ef6235fb2c9e705fe3bd7a.jpg

And so the entryway off the Hub would have matched it, and made a lot more sense stylistically. For whatever reason, WDI really wanted those rocks to stay in the design even as their budget was collapsing all around them.

tomorrowland98.jpg

But the end result was an ugly mess, even using the dated tastes of the late 1990's as a reference.

While Paul Pressler and Michael Eisner deserve a lot of the blame for their cheapskate 90's ways, I think a valid criticism is that WDI needed to be better at being realistic and knowing what the actual product would look like in the park given their budget constraints. There was failure all over the place with 1998's New Tomorrowland, and WDI can't be entirely blameless.

TP2000

And with that little tribute to the failed New Tomorrowland of 1998, that reminds me that I'm not sold on this reworked entry aesthetic. WDI seems to be making the same "We don't have a big enough budget" mistake here.

I get it, it's a nod to 1967 Tomorrowland which I loved, but it still has 1992's Discoveryland Astro Orbiter in rusty brown sitting right behind it. And that makes sense how exactly? Uh... gang?... Are we sure about this?...

tmr203948023948023948243fi.jpg

Why stop there? Why not add the Clock Of The World and Flags Of 50 States in there while you're at it? :oops:

ar-dlpctomorrow018.jpg

Mac Tonight

And with that little tribute to the failed New Tomorrowland of 1998, that reminds me that I'm not sold on this reworked entry aesthetic. WDI seems to be making the same "We don't have a big enough budget" mistake here.

I get it, it's a nod to 1967 Tomorrowland which I loved, but it still has 1992's Discoveryland Astro Orbiter in rusty brown sitting right behind it. And that makes sense how exactly? Uh... gang?... Are we sure about this?...

tmr203948023948023948243fi.jpg

Why stop there? Why not add the Clock Of The World and Flags Of 50 States in there while you're at it? :oops:

ar-dlpctomorrow018.jpg
Changing out the rocks for the white oval flowerbeds really highlights how out of place the Astro Orbiter truly is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom