Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamusAranX

I don't see what is wrong with not counting positive tests twice over in the the daily count. For example, if I test positive Monday, and then go get tested Friday, the other methods would count me as a positive case twice. If anything, that inflates numbers in a way to me. I am not two separate people who contracted the virus.

Chip Chipperson

I don't necessarily have a problem with how FL calculates its % positive. If i feel symptoms today and get tested and it comes back negative that shouldn't mean that a test I get a month from now due to possible exposure shouldn't be counted if it's also negative. But I can't say which of the 3 calculations is the best one. I guess that's why all 3 are accepted.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There are plenty of people on all sides of the issue repeatedly expressing their beliefs, and I’m sure those who don’t agree find it tiresome. If you don’t like what someone says, why not just move on without engaging? Calling out one poster for having an agenda seems unfair.
I agree with this. I have no problem with anyone expressing their beliefs or opinion. In this particular case I don’t personally agree with @DisneyCane (surprising to nobody who has read this thread ;)) but his opinion is as valid as mine. I also disagree that it’s possible to take the results of that particular study and conclude that masks provide little or no protection to the wearer. It’s very possible that the masks don’t provide a high level of protection to the wearer, but with this particular study it‘s not possible to draw that conclusion based on the data provided. That’s why I called the interpretation of the data from the study that is presented by the author flawed.

techgeek

There are plenty of people on all sides of the issue repeatedly expressing their beliefs, and I’m sure those who don’t agree find it tiresome. If you don’t like what someone says, why not just move on without engaging? Calling out one poster for having an agenda seems unfair.

As long as I follow the rules, what difference does it make what I believe?

Noted and my apologies for picking a fight this morning. I’m just grumpy. I think we’re all a little grumpy.

sullyinMT

cruises will probably be one of the LAST things to fully return.
And any demand can be met with the current fleet most likely. Especially through the end of next year, when Wish was scheduled.
It gives those willing a chance to sail again AND book onboard for whatever incentive exists post-resumption. I'll take it as an overall positive.

Plus, the delay allows DCL and Meyer a chance to re-design some public areas if deemed necessary and possible.

Tink242424

So, someone who's party is accused of mishandling the pandemic looks for a way to diminish the number of deaths so as not too look so bad finds such evidence! A wonder!

Was this legislator tipped off by an insider that death certificates were being mishandled? Or did he go on a fishing expedition. Well, since he asked only for those certificates that had 'COVID' on them... we know the answer to that.

And that's because if you declare a subset of all death certificates to be wrong because of certain irregularities, you should know if those irregularities are present in *all* death certificates. Which, of course, he didn't do.

And if you're saying there's a systemic conspiracy to put out falsified death certificates... did you follow up with where they came from? I mean if almost all the irregular death certificates came from Miami County, then you might want to investigate what's happening there. But if the irregular death certificates are coming in from all over the state, then you have a much bigger conspiracy on your hands. You have doctors and nurses and coroners and county health departments all in on the conspiracy to inflate the death numbers. How does that work? Do these several thousand complicit health care workers have a giant Zoom meeting to coordinate with one another?

And why isn't this legislator calling out the specific doctors and coroners who filed irregular death certificates? Or handing it over to the state attorney general for investigating falsified public records?

Well, good thing that before he left office, he showed evidence of how the governor's administration was so inept that it allowed such a widespread conspiracy to linger!!

And, of course, he criticizes the national standards which he believes inflated the number of COVID deaths. Where did he get his degree in epidemiology?

Lesson learned: "one guy" shouting everyone else is wrong is usually the one who is wrong.
All you have to do is follow the money. Hospitals are being reimbursed more for COVID patients and deaths. That gives them incentive to list COVID as a cause of death when they otherwise wouldn't. I have many friends in NJ who work for hospitals and this instruction was given to them. So there is a valid point here to consider.

Now, how many of the deaths would have been attributed to COVID without the financial incentive may be close to the actual numbers but it would be hard to figure this it after the fact. Whenever there is a financial incentive to do something it will be done.

So, in summary there are definitely doctors/hospitals, all over the US, that are listing deaths at COVID related that are not due to COVID in order to get a higher reimbursement. The actual number is just too difficult to determine and that is bad since we really should have accurate numbers for this virus. And yes, I'm sure this happens with other deaths from other causes as well all over the US.

oceanbreeze77

All you have to do is follow the money. Hospitals are being reimbursed more for COVID patients and deaths. That gives them incentive to list COVID as a cause of death when they otherwise wouldn't. I have many friends in NJ who work for hospitals and this instruction was given to them. So there is a valid point here to consider.
This is a conspiracy theory. This is a conspiracy theory that has been debunked time and time again.

lazyboy97o

Now, how many of the deaths would have been attributed to COVID without the financial incentive may be close to the actual numbers but it would be hard to figure this it after the fact. Whenever there is a financial incentive to do something it will be done.

So, in summary there are definitely doctors/hospitals, all over the US, that are listing deaths at COVID related that are not due to COVID in order to get a higher reimbursement. The actual number is just too difficult to determine and that is bad since we really should have accurate numbers for this virus. And yes, I'm sure this happens with other deaths from other causes as well all over the US.
That’s not how it works.

GimpYancIent

Not a COVID19 exclusive.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

So your friends in NJ who falsely classified Covid patients and deaths were personally compensated for doing it? They got envelopes filled with cash or something? I know a number of people who work in hospitals as both doctors and nurses and I don’t think any of them would intentionally commit fraud to help their hospital make more money. It seems very far fetched.

Jwink

My friend is a front line COVID nurse (traveled to NYC and Miami to help) and she says this conspiracy theory is completely false.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The John Hopkins web site makes it clear that the method they use to calculate positivity is not ideal. They use it because it's the only method of calculation where they can get the needed raw data from all states, so this allows the results to be compared between states.

Tink242424

Wow, lots of people here have drunk the kool-aid. I find it very interesting that so many are quick to judge things as conspiracy theories when they are really common sense. If people don't believe that there is always more going on then is presented to the public then my post on a message board isn't going to help them.

I did say this happens with more than just COVID and is a problem with how much our health system costs. I also very clearly stated that I'm unsure of the real numbers and that it could be a minor problem or a major problem but it is very difficult to tease out. Greed is rampant in our society and it could be a simple as not wanting to lose your job and if the patient had tested positive for COVID but didn't actual die as a result being told to still list COVID as the cause of death.

And finally, no I don't think COVID is a hoax. I have had it and still suffer from some mild effects and think it should be taken seriously. With that being said I am not convinced all the measures we have taken and the way that the media is blowing everything out of proportion is what we need. Let's take a common sense approach to fighting this disease. That is something that has been sorely lacking from ALL politicians in this country (Democratic & Republican).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom