Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
@Tuvalu - the next time I can go to DLP without quarantining upon return, I will get you a Parisienne Minnie umbrella. You deserve one 😊
mike myers snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

And that's really bizarre how you and Woody had to slink out the back to the Speakeasy door, just to be shown the umbrellas! :jawdrop:
View attachment 505161
She said, Oh, they are behind the counter. I can't believe that so many people must steal umbrellas (?) for them to have to hide them behind the counter.????
And this is why we can't have nice things!! :devilish:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
MouseGear was one of my favorite stores. What's up with the reduced merchandise offerings? I always thought the gift shops were one of their most lucrative concessions in WDW. (Side note: didn't care for the update to WOD in Disney Springs either; but now, also cutting back in MouseGear is a disappointing trend. )
The original MouseGear has been demolished (due to the Epcot overhaul.) Its "temporary space" is much smaller....one of the reasons for the reduced merchandise offerings.

Still waiting for my jacket to arrive that I left on the back of a chair at Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant. It's only been about 10 years so there's still hope!
200.gif

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

For the first time ever, Woody and I had to wait in line to enter the Mexico pavilion. The line began outside (before the steps) and wound its way indoors.

31667395-6F87-480A-B3B0-A39A712FF5BC.jpeg

Thankfully the line moved at a swift pace.

1A24BCAB-0CD8-4851-9F4E-A8E104FF374E.jpeg

We had front row seats. The fireworks caught my eye. Since I couldn’t see real ones, fake would have to suffice.

57B65575-B7E7-42FB-9B8B-FD7858CEFD8F.jpeg

C6CEF686-3FD6-4FFC-B68A-0B679122B112.jpeg

We rounded the corner to discover.....

BB081033-28F3-4315-8EE3-D28189A8B3CB.jpeg

José was not a 2020 casualty after all! 😍

93boomer

Premium Member
Sunday, con’t

For the first time ever, Woody and I had to wait in line to enter the Mexico pavilion. The line began outside (before the steps) and wound its way indoors.

View attachment 505452

Thankfully the line moved at a swift pace.

View attachment 505453

We had front row seats. The fireworks caught my eye. Since I couldn’t see real ones, fake would have to suffice.

View attachment 505454

View attachment 505455

We rounded the corner to discover.....

View attachment 505456

José was not a 2020 casualty after all! 😍
That was my first thought seeing the fireworks!! 😉

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Dinner time!

C6AF5B5C-125D-429E-AD2F-30222F16BB36.jpeg

Woody and I first dined at La Hacienda at 8 pm on 10/1/12. Now that date might not mean anything to you, but it was Epcot’s 30th anniversary. When I booked the reservation I was hoping there might be special celebratory fireworks that we could watch from this waterside restaurant. As the date drew near it was confirmed that Illuminations would indeed have a “anniversary ending.”

Tink sprinkled major pixie dust on us as we were given a window table that night. The up-close-and-personal view of World Showcase Lagoon was spectacular. Not only did we feel like we were right in the middle of Illuminations, but the pyro that followed was unbelievable. It was a sight this fireworks lover will NEVER forget.

Eight years later we were seated in a booth in the center of the room.

F8F7AD73-DAA8-4670-8B66-9A7A125AA85A.jpeg

The shades were drawn and the view wasn’t as picturesque.

DA87DC65-5BFE-4AD7-A03A-77BC5894CD94.jpeg

Our server Paola was fantastic! As soon as we sat down she came over to greet us and take our drink order. She asked if we could access the menu via the QR paper or if we needed actual menus.

The QR code worked just fine.

C52ABCA2-BF32-4EE6-A2B2-74B93FEA39B1.png

The food is pricey by Mexican restaurant standards (at least the ones we frequent.) Our starter of Mango Guacamole was $13....and did not include chips and salsa. ($5).

3E71A464-D719-4F88-8A1E-23672A52E9B6.jpeg

But the guac was delicious and even won over Woody (Typically he’s a straight salsa guy.)

And as we were enjoying our app, the window coverings were lifted! (Our 2012 table was next to the window on the right.)

F998BAED-B260-4275-A4FE-567CAF22C10E.jpeg

Paola kept our drinks refreshed and was a fun conversationalist. “Please ask for me next time! I look forward to seeing you again!” :happy:

For our mains Woody and I shared the pineapple salsa chicken and cheesy flank steak (with tortillas.) Both were very good (for nearly $30 each they ought to be!)

02753118-B35A-4CA1-9784-07B13ECEE681.jpeg

We left stuffed....and a little melancholic that there was no nighttime show.

lindawdw

I'm here and loving your TR! The car tray that Woody made for your car lunches is perfect! I can't get over the incredible room view you got at the Poly!!! I've noted it in my DVC notebook of great rooms to request! Your photos of yesteryears are just adorable. Sorry the banter wasn't exactly up to par at Prime Time Cafe but your commentary on the GGS was quite entertaining!!! I was so sad for you about your umbrella mishap as I remember when you and Em bought them together in a previous TR. I did the same thing at a bus stop with our 35mm camera many years ago and never got that call from Lost and Found saying they found it. :( We also had an incident with my younger daughter's teddy bear which got bundled up with the sheets when the housekeeper stripped the bed. It was her teddy bear that she slept with every night and we never got it back. We have always had incredible meals at La Hacienda de San Angel and the views out the windows are so beautiful! Woody has been a trooper on this trip!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Dusk had fallen when we left La Hacienda and Woody took a few pics as we wandered around.

A4E2F6A3-1E07-4AC6-B24C-7FBEEEEA289B.jpeg

EF1BD71D-30CF-4659-A72D-73DFB850D640.jpeg

5024BE60-C28A-4298-95C6-E23520C5DB0A.jpeg

50EF35A9-B52D-4BB7-8A7F-29A6EAC58EFF.jpeg

D012C01E-CD20-4E43-BD98-48ABB125ED9F.jpeg

6C67754A-BA06-41C5-BF65-4592ADAFCB2A.jpeg

If not for the difficulty of maneuvering around the walls, we would have jumped on SSE before exiting. I didn’t regret it at the time but I do now.

We had no wait for a bus and were soon back at the Poly. I did another “visual sweep” for my umbrella after we disembarked and then stopped by the Front Desk in case it had been turned in.

We sat on the balcony until the skeeters decided it was time for an evening feast.

93boomer

Premium Member
Dusk had fallen when we left La Hacienda and Woody took a few pics as we wandered around.

View attachment 505575

View attachment 505576

View attachment 505574

View attachment 505577

View attachment 505578

View attachment 505579

If not for the difficulty of maneuvering around the walls, we would have jumped on SSE before exiting. I didn’t regret it at the time but I do now.

We had no wait for a bus and were soon back at the Poly. I did another “visual sweep” for my umbrella after we disembarked and then stopped by the Front Desk in case it had been turned in.

We sat on the balcony until the skeeters decided it was time for an evening feast.
A perfect ending to a perfect “magical” day!

slipperalwaysfits

YES! @cgersic Their dinner on the 30th Anniversary of Epcot sounds beyond magical! :geek: :geek: :geek: 😍 😍
For the first time ever, Woody and I had to wait in line to enter the Mexico pavilion. The line began outside (before the steps) and wound its way indoors
Okay, I am so glad the line moves fast. It's going to take some getting used to lining up for my favorite stores! :cautious::jawdrop:
But the guac was delicious and even won over Woody (Typically he’s a straight salsa guy.)
So is my hubby but Mango guac would be amazing!! I really need to make a reservation at San Angel one of these years....
@Tuvalu This is my very first time reading a TR from you and I have finally caught up. I have loved reading it as it really makes me feel like I am there (though not for real real until sometime next year, hopefully). Thank you so much and I look forward to reading more about Part Tu.
Her TR's are AMAZING! If you go back and read ALL of them, it keeps you busy and excited for your next trip! It's fun to feel like part of their Disney family for a minute!:geek:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I did the same thing at a bus stop with our 35mm camera many years ago and never got that call from Lost and Found saying they found it. :( We also had an incident with my younger daughter's teddy bear which got bundled up with the sheets when the housekeeper stripped the bed. It was her teddy bear that she slept with every night and we never got it back.
Wow...losing a 35mm camera is much worse than an umbrella! (Aren't we thankful that our phones take good quality pics now?!)

But a child's lost teddy?
no GIF

A perfect ending to a perfect “magical” day!

Your meals looks delicious!!! :hungry:

Beautiful night time photos of Epcot!!!
the last kingdom sunday GIF

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
@Tuvalu This is my very first time reading a TR from you and I have finally caught up. I have loved reading it as it really makes me feel like I am there (though not for real real until sometime next year, hopefully). Thank you so much and I look forward to reading more about Part Tu.
Lauren Ash Hello GIF by Superstore

Welcome @rihannalexis! It's always a pleasure to meet a new Magician. Thanks for following and I hope you can visit WDW for real in 2021!

I just heard today on a morning talk show that a study was done and to mosquitoes our blood tastes sweet and salty, kinda like salted caramel. 😁
A fact I did not need to know. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom