Entertainment CMs are getting cut this week

rk03221

Original Poster
Not sure if this has been posted yet but I have a lot of friends who work entertainment in WDW from when I worked there. This week, many of them have gotten the notice that they’ve been cut and that a major restructuring of the company is happening right now. Chapek also sent an email out that stated the company will start to focus more on streaming, movies and tv. I know it’s obvious but most entertainment shows, characters, etc. aren’t coming back for the next few years, if ever. Again, sorry if this has been already said but I’m really upset

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Oh yeah, entertainment is getting slashed. Sadly, it's not revenue generating department for the company or operationally necessary.

mkt

Premium Member
Right? Nobody pays admission to a park to see the entertainment.

That's not what I said, but when an accountant has to decide to eliminate a gift shop vs characters, they'll eliminate the one that doesn't generate revenue (even if it ads value to the company in other ways)

drizgirl

That's not what I said, but when an accountant has to decide to eliminate a gift shop vs characters, they'll eliminate the one that doesn't generate revenue (even if it ads value to the company in other ways)
It would be very short-sighted to view it that way. Gate admission IS revenue, and a lot of people won't pay that admission price without the entertainment.

Lilofan

It would be very short-sighted to view it that way. Gate admission IS revenue, and a lot of people won't pay that admission price without the entertainment.
When you cut entertainment you cut many layers of the dept. That's some of the layoffs that the company is restructuring. Because of free falling lack of business, difficult decisions are being made. Entertainment cuts pre covid was normal, not to this extent though. Disney execs are under pressure to improve numbers in tough times. One way is to slash payroll.

_caleb

Is this true? A LOT of people won’t go to WDW if there isn’t live entertainment?

Assuming we’re talking about live musicians, singers, dancers, actors and not meet-and-greets, face characters, puppeteers, and the like, I’m not sure cutting them would make a dent in ticket sales. I’m not denying that lots of people enjoy the entertainment- of course they do! I’m just not convinced people would cancel a WDW vacation because the Dapper Dans got laid off.

Maybe I’m wrong.

NelleBelle

Wow! If I had young kids that wanted to see Mickey and/or princesses up close and the parks slashed M&G, I think I’d take my dollars over and book a Disney Cruise instead. Better M&Gs, customer service, entertainment, food included.

Shouldigo12

Are they focusing more on movies, streaming, and tv because that's a more viable option right now than theme parks? Or is this a permanent change? I can understand the former, we're in the middle of a pandemic right now and theme parks/live entertainment are not high are people's list, whereas streaming and tv are things that can be enjoyed at home. If it's the latter, that's not as good, but we'll have to see exactly what it means.

donsullivan

Premium Member
And the down hill slide to Six Flags status for Disney continues
What would you propose they do when park attendance is capped at not more than 25% and large numbers of resorts are closed and they have significant new costs for cleaning and safety surrounding the pandemic? Should entertainment be treated differently and be exempted from the layoffs that every other part of the organization has to endure?

Disney has experienced a massive drop in revenue and costs have to be cut to get things back in line with the new levels of revenue. Nobody likes it when that happens in any environment but it's a simple economic reality that cannot be denied.

NelleBelle

What would you propose they do when park attendance is capped at not more than 25% and large numbers of resorts are closed and they have significant new costs for cleaning and safety surrounding the pandemic? Should entertainment be treated differently and be exempted from the layoffs that every other part of the organization has to endure?

Disney has experienced a massive drop in revenue and costs have to be cut to get things back in line with the new levels of revenue. Nobody likes it when that happens in any environment but it's a simple economic reality that cannot be denied.
Understandable if the is temporary while country is entering recession and park attendance is limited. But entertainment is cut permanently in resorts and park experience then what is separating Disney Parks from other amusement parks at that point. Streetmosphere, especially along Main St. is one of the reasons that made MK and Disneyland unique and enjoyable for our family (and I'm sure we're not alone). Like I said, I can understand the layoffs as I'm sure they're only temporary until the parks/resorts recover and things return to "normal", but as others have mentioned...once things in entertainment have been cut, they tend to be permanent. Hoping this is one of those things that is not.

wdwfan22

Entertainment has always been cut when attendance is down. After 9/11 it happened and it’s happening again now. Entertainment will return the parks are full again. Right now however I don’t think its wise to have a castle stage show performing to a handful of people or even festival of the lion king with an attendance cap of 25%. It doesn’t make sense.

Fable McCloud

I cancelled my December trip because I've never gone at Christmas and I want the full experience. My husband and I want to pay to attend MVMCP and see/take pictures with Santa and the characters in holiday garb see the parade and gingerbread displays, the works. We want to have the full Disney Christmas, and the cuts to things in entertainment really do hurt those who want an experience versus going to a plain old theme park. I could go to Six Flags, but I choose Disney because there's (usually) much more than rides. I'm a fan of M&Gs, stage shows, and parades.

JIMINYCR

And that's exactly how Disney operates when things get difficult.
You say that as if Disney is the only one cutting staff. All over the country businesses of all types are fighting to stay alive. Sadly the cost of continuing to employ all positions have to be questioned when the numbers of guests booking and spending money on Disney food and other items, which allows them to pay their CM's, has greatly diminished and isnt showing it returning as in past times of difficulty. If its between staying in business and going under, hard choices have to be made. If and when things improve Disney will be there to rehire all who were laid off.

mkt

Premium Member
You say that as if Disney is the only one cutting staff. All over the country businesses of all types are fighting to stay alive. Sadly the cost of continuing to employ all positions have to be questioned when the numbers of guests booking and spending money on Disney food and other items, which allows them to pay their CM's, has greatly diminished and isnt showing it returning as in past times of difficulty. If its between staying in business and going under, hard choices have to be made. If and when things improve Disney will be there to rehire all who were laid off.

I'm not, many businesses are, including my employer to my entire department.

I'm saying this as someone who knows the mouse well, and how that company thinks and acts.

They will start hiring when things are better, but they'll use this opportunity to see how lean they can run the parks, and will likely not have the same level of staffing as before until things far surpass how good they were before the pandemic.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom