Motion Sickness - How Do You Prepare / Prevent it?

NickMaio

Interesting product. Based on what I'm seeing it looks like a button and a band-aid would yield similar results. But not going to knock it if it works. I bet these can be had for about a $1.50 on eBay. Or homemade at a better price point. Regardless, I might add this to my arsenal. Couldn't hurt.
We have also seen them at the dollar store.
Wherever you get them.......they do the same thing.....
It has worked for us every time without fail.
We wear them all day at the parks.

mmnw

With the bands, you can use them over and over again. Bandaids fall off eventually. The bands are tight so pressure is given to the spot. I’m not sure a bandaid could give the same tight pressure. They aren’t cheap, but for me a lifesaver. I have them stashed all over my house for myself and kids. 😉. If it’s helpful, I don’t buy kid sizes. My kids are very petite and have always used the adult size.

NelleBelle

I don't tend to get motion sickness (DH does tend to get sick on teacups and get quite seasick if we don't have access to fresh air). I have tried the Seabands before for nausea with migraines with various luck (wrong pressure point for me), bonine works somewhat better than dramamine but I still get sleepy, ginger gum helps a lot but the best thing was getting my doc to write a prescription for scopolamine patches you put behind your ear. That worked the best when we did our transatlantic cruise a few years ago!

Heppenheimer

Can't do Dramamine. Even the non-drowsy kind. So this may sound weird but this works for me... natural solutions in the form of Tabasco hot sauce (a little mini bottle in a pocket) and 100% pure ginger chews. The ginger is a preventive and the hot sauce is to shock you out of the nausea feeling which I then follow up with another ginger chew if needed. It might sound gross but it works. And as others have said, chewing gum helps too!
Speaking of ginger... one of the last times I consumed alcohol , I was again feeling the intense nausea, and throbbing headache that are the reasons I now no longer drink. A friend gave me a drink made from pieces of ginger seeped in hot water. The nausea was gone within about 15 minutes (the headache, not so much, but at least now I could stomach ibuprofen). Boiled ginger broth doesn't exactly taste good, but it sure did the trick.

Last edited:

Minnie Mum

I've suffered from motion sickness my whole life. Name a type of transportation and odds are I've hurled in it. Finding an effective antinauseant with minimal side effects is a trial and error type of thing. Sea Bands work for some ( doesn't help me at all), as does chewable ginger candy. Eating a green apple works after the fact to treat nausea, but doesn't prevent it (old sailor's trick). Regular Dramamine makes me so drowsy I use it as a sleep aid. Bonine makes me slightly drowsy, but since you only need to take it once a day, I take it at night and am fine the next day. I use it always on cruises, and also when we visit the parks or are doing any extended drives.

If you're going to try any pharmaceutical, talk to your pharmacist or health care provider first if you are taking other medication or have chronic health issues. And try it out at home to see how you react to it.

Elfinko

My girlfriend just won't do those rides because of the motion sickness. I kinda tricked her into Everest (she now calls it Neverest). She won't even go on Soarin'. Plenty of slow rides for her to ride though.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thanks everyone. I'll look into getting a wristband, Bonine, and / or Dramamine, maybe ginger and etc.

For those of you asking why even bother if I know something will probably make me sick - I don't want to miss out on anything these parks have to offer. For the first time ever I'm probably going to Universal Orlando for a few days as well, and i'd really be depressed to miss Harry Potter Forbidden Journey ride or Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket.

Flight of Passage probably had the absolute biggest effect on me, now that I think about it.

Paper straw fan

It’s funny, and probably not coincidence but the rides OP names are the ones that give me trouble too (and Primeval Hurl) so in addition to suggesting the pills (bands do nothing for me, but something w mecalazine works) I have a couple things w the rides- Dinosaur seems to be much worse in the back- more movements maybe? So if possible ask for the front- w Everest, the very front and back get me during the reverse part, so I’d say aim middle. FoP, not much you can do save for closing your eyes some till the feeling passes.

Ldno

I have TBI from getting blown up in Iraq, and now get motion sickness easily from riding kiddie coasters, but the to be honest what works for me no matter what medication I use, and they are stronger prescribed medication than Dramamine and Bonine(you won’t need these on Disney but yes on Universal/Sea World Rides, unless you ride Rocker ROller Coaster and Expedition Everest numerous times) like prochlorperazine for example, but what works more than any medication is staying hydrated, drink Gatorade or Powerade constantly the day before and day of, keep the body heavily hydrated before and after you Ride, not to mention have a meal in the morning or through out the day but not right after Riding a ride that will make you nauseous. As a roller coaster enthusiast staying hydrated is key.

NelleBelle

I still don't have the nerve to ride the Summitt Plummet at Blizzard Beach.
Me either! I've ridden every huge roller coaster I've come across (although I have such low blood pressure I tend to black out no some of them) but I cannot bring my self to do those huge body slides that just drop you like that! No thank you...don't need water or my swimsuit where it doesn't belong!:oops::oops:

bcoachable

Thanks everyone. I'll look into getting a wristband, Bonine, and / or Dramamine, maybe ginger and etc.

For those of you asking why even bother if I know something will probably make me sick - I don't want to miss out on anything these parks have to offer. For the first time ever I'm probably going to Universal Orlando for a few days as well, and i'd really be depressed to miss Harry Potter Forbidden Journey ride or Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket.

Flight of Passage probably had the absolute biggest effect on me, now that I think about it.
I’d love to hear a post trip report on your findings!

Giss Neric

I'm curious how one can get motion sickness on a significantly mild rollercoaster like Everest? Is it the backwards portion? I can understand if you will get motion sickness on a multiple inversion rollercoaster but Everest is not even that intense. I had a slight motion sickness and developed a migraine after I rode the Hulk at Universal but this was before the refurbishment when it was rough and painful.

Or is age a factor here? Are those experiencing motion sickness in their 30s and greater?

lazyboy97o

I'm curious how one can get motion sickness on a significantly mild rollercoaster like Everest? Is it the backwards portion? I can understand if you will get motion sickness on a multiple inversion rollercoaster but Everest is not even that intense. I had a slight motion sickness and developed a migraine after I rode the Hulk at Universal but this was before the refurbishment when it was rough and painful.

Or is age a factor here? Are those experiencing motion sickness in their 30s and greater?
Different bodies are affected by things differently.

NelleBelle

Definitely not an age-factor. I ended up with horrible motion sickness after riding Mission Space (and I don’t get sick riding rides). This was my mid-late 20s. That hideous ride also ruptured blood vessels in my eyes—will not ride the orange side ever again!

mightylibrarian

Try Meclazine before you leave. It doesn’t cause drowsiness in most people and can really help with the motion sickness. I have to take it before I tried out video games 10 minutes in and I am done. This really helps. If it doesn’t cause side effects, you could try it on your trip. Even with the help, avoid teacups and Mars. No amount of drugs will stop the effects of those.

OG Runner

It may depend on the ride and what about it makes you nauseous. Dinosaur for instance, it is often the jerky motion back and forth and then the forward jolt. Flight of Passage is the immersion. (close your eyes) Then you can always take the Henny Youngman approach to
rides. "Hey guys it makes me sick to go on the ride." "Then don't go on that ride!" 🤪

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom