Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom Walkway

EdnaMode

Those bags are generally used to prevent erosion at the discharge of a pump. Often used in dewatering projects prior to digging a hole for drainage pipes or other pits. Could it have been connected to a pump near the lagoon not actually pumping from the lake?

You can see where it used to sit and it has been moved over.

The tube was snaked over towards the lake but there was a lot of equipment over there that got in the way to prevent me seeing, so I don't know.

Shouldn't be more than a few years now.

JoeCamel

The tube was snaked over towards the lake but there was a lot of equipment over there that got in the way to prevent me seeing, so I don't know.

Shouldn't be more than a few years now.
If they are pumping out groundwater to dig a hole I don't think they are allowed to put it in the lake so that is probably what is happening there.
On a brighter note I think they planted the lime trees in Mexico to use in the margarita bar so once they start bearing fruit they can get the bar stocked.

Magic Feather

It appears that the temporary connection of the walkway via the monorail station is being decommissioned. I can only presume that the new dock is close to finishing, so it's no longer necessary! It'll be great to see the walkway finally open sometime.. soon?

(Source from another website... you know the one)
Yeah. The new dock (which was already kind of close to being done) was not that far off from the time that the Grand Flo reopened. Since the original monorail ramp access plans had its... quirks, they seem to have decided that it’s just easier to wait the extra ~month or two and route it the intended way.

Love Ft Wilderness

Yeah. The new dock (which was already kind of close to being done) was not that far off from the time that the Grand Flo reopened. Since the original monorail ramp access plans had its... quirks, they seem to have decided that it’s just easier to wait the extra ~month or two and route it the intended way.
Not a happy camper. I'll be there in 10 days with full intent to walk on the walkway. I would have been happy using the temporary ramp. Well I have another chance in December.

trainplane3

Not sure why they're criticizing it as "one step forward, two steps back" (I read the reason and it doesn't make sense):
grand-floridian-walkway-october-2020-5-1867x1400.jpg

grand-floridian-walkway-october-2020-3-1.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not sure why they're criticizing it as "one step forward, two steps back" (I read the reason and it doesn't make sense):
grand-floridian-walkway-october-2020-5-1867x1400.jpg

grand-floridian-walkway-october-2020-3-1.jpg

I think they are making the assumption that if the temporary walkway had been left in place then it could have opened sooner. I could just be that they are so close to opening the normal path that the temporary one is not needed.

JoeCamel

I think they are making the assumption that if the temporary walkway had been left in place then it could have opened sooner. I could just be that they are so close to opening the normal path that the temporary one is not needed.
I took it as they did a lot of work to put one in just to take it out again but I also wondered if there was some emergency evacuation plan that incorporated the original out to the canal to a safe space? Maybe an emergency ferry landing at the construction dock?
Anyway glad the lime trees are flowering, the limes may be ready in time for the grand. Magical limes you know?

EdnaMode

What in the world was that temporary walkway all about? Was it meant for NBA players to access the MK (did they even do that?) We can only hope it's imminent (and by imminent, I mean, in this century) that everything else that seems to be holding up the walkway nears completion.

raymusiccity

When we were there last week, at least one of the days, they had some kind of giant water bag that was taking water from the lake and squirting it onto the construction near the temporary path (not sure what that's for, but....obviously they were working on the area.) They also had tons of construction vehicles, people doing stuff. So any month now.
View attachment 503609
They really need to have that lanced!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
What in the world was that temporary walkway all about? Was it meant for NBA players to access the MK (did they even do that?) We can only hope it's imminent (and by imminent, I mean, in this century) that everything else that seems to be holding up the walkway nears completion.

The assumption about the temporary path was that the new boat dock area was going to take longer to complete then the rest of the path, so they setup this temporary bypass to allow the path to open while work continued on the dock area.

deWild

It appears that the temporary connection of the walkway via the monorail station is being decommissioned. I can only presume that the new dock is close to finishing, so it's no longer necessary! It'll be great to see the walkway finally open sometime.. soon?

(Source from another website... you know the one)
Can someone DM me what this other website is? I truly have had no idea what this is referencing over the past couple years.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Do they use them to compact soil beneath them?
No. To do that they typically either pile up dirt on the location and let gravity do the work (commonly called surcharging) or mechanically compact the soil with a soil tamper or steam roller. A much more exciting method is called dynamic compaction. For this, a large weight is repeatedly dropped from a crane onto the aera to compact the soil.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom