Trip Report Clappy Clap.....Welcome Back!! The Many "World Firsts" TR

Hello all & welcome!! I'm so happy to finally be able to do another TR!! It feels like forever since my last one--probably b/c it has been(at least that's the way I feel)!! So, I don't want to dwell on the negative b/c let's face it, we've all had a crappy year. 2020 has not been kind to us. But, along with the obvious I had 3 relatives pass within 3 months of each other. Then I knew I was losing my job of almost 28 years in July. We had a Disney trip booked in May that never happened. E rescheduled for June(I couldn't b/c of work) but we all know what happened there--access denied. I knew I wouldn't be able to go until August so she & J booked for then. Since I no longer had an existing reservation she figured she would add me on to her's. Little did we know that nothing would be that simple....

I'll fill you in on the drama as we go along....

WHEN: Tuesday, August 11th - Tuesday, August 18th

WHERE: Saratoga Springs(Spoiler--we really ended up enjoying our stay there. Of course, it's not our beloved Riverside but we agreed it had kind of the same "vibe". Being on the Sassagoula kind of helped with that also.)
IMG_6400.JPEG

THE DRAMA THAT WENT ALONG WITH IT:

E & J may have had a reservation but there was no room at the inn for me. E purposely got a 1 bedroom villa & thought it would be easy to add me to the reservation. Yeah, that wasn't happening. They were not accepting any modifications to existing reservations. It was getting down to the wire. She was able to make park reservations & I still couldn't be added on. Finally, all's well that ends well. After many weeks of trying she was able to add me on & I was able to get the same parks. Never fear though, as a few of my magic friends know I had a "Plan B" ready as a backup but fortunately didn't have to go that route.
IMG_6213.JPEG

Then there were the many flight changes Southwest kept imposing on us. Here was one they did for me that was particularly scary. What happened to Pittsburgh to Orlando? :oops: They had my return flight correct but that didn't mean anything b/c it didn't look like I'd be making it there to begin with!!
IMG_6202.JPEG

The loss of my job was weighing on me all year(I've known since January). Here's my desk during my final days.
IMG_6287.JPEG

The reason for the dates was I knew I would be done with my job by then. I figured I'd take a few weeks off. One week to get situated then the next week to go to Disney. After that I would come back and search for work. Sounds like the perfect plan, right?
While still employed the new company taking over was encouraging us to apply. I did but didn't think it would really go anywhere for a number of reasons. Lo & behold they made me an offer on July 30th & asked me if I could give them an answer the next day. They were planning on reopening the store August 16th--while I would be away!! I broke the news that I would be away then. The company was very receptive to it when I explained why I had planned it the way I did. I also figured I should totally come clean & mentioned that I had an October trip booked also!! At this point I thought for sure they wouldn't want me. I called the next day & accepted their offer. Originally the plan was that I would start on the 19th when I got back. They called me on the 1st & asked me to start on the 3rd so I could get some training time in before I went away. I was fine with it & did it but was scrambling to pack etc.

I'm happy to be back in the place I've worked all my life that is so much a part of me. I'm still learning to do things the way the new company does them but overall I'm happy with the way things are going.

E & family were very sweet to give me a good luck present when I started my new(old:hilarious:) job.
IMG_6308.JPEG

With not much time to pack I made sure to do it early. I actually packed 6 days before the trip. That's amazing for me!!
IMG_6328.JPEG

I also made sure to bring a large supply of masks. They would get gross in a hurry!!
IMG_6332.JPEG

THE TITLE: I have to start out by giving credit to @Rista1313!! I got the "Clappy Clap" part from a comment she had made in my last TR. So many magicians loved the saying & I thought it was quite catchy. The "Welcome Back" part is b/c I truly felt like we were really welcomed back by the CM's. They seemed genuinely happy to have guests there. Also, that song had been in my mind for quite some time. Has anyone seen the Applebee's commercial with that song in it? The first time I saw it I had tears in my eyes. It's very fitting & says a lot with little words. And, there were many "World Firsts" you'll see as we go along!!

WHO: I'm sure you've figured it out by now but we're back to the "same old" crew!! My sister E, my nephew J & myself, Patti!!
IMG_6724.JPG

No, I don't really care for pictures of my backside but I did think this was a neat picture--minus the castle colors. I'm still not a fan!!:cautious:

To all my friends out there reading, "Welcome Back"!!

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH

Up next was one of the highlights of the trip. We were going to meet some wdwmagic friends!!:) Our friends originally had a later reservation but ended up switching it to a bit earlier so our dinner times ended up lining up more. We had plans to meet after our dinners & I couldn't wait!!

On the way to our meetup I took this picture & sent it to R. We have had one of these stores at our local mall & he always wanted to get a shave there. I bought him a gc for Christmas. Guess who never used it & guess what stayed closed after the covid reopening?:mad:
Guess we'll just have to go to Disney so he can use it!!;)
View attachment 502678

Yay!! We met up with our friends @ajrwdwgirl & Brad!! Little background here, a few years back(Amy, does June of 2018 sound right?) my family had met up with @Tuvalu & @TrolleyFollower91 at the Tambu Lounge. After our meeting we headed to 'Ohana for dinner while the rest of the magic crew had a meetup!! Afterwards, we all ended up on the monorail platform at the same time so @ajrwdwgirl & I had a whole 30 second meetup & time for a quick picture and we were on our way(all while J was falling all over @TrolleyFollower91 )!! So, it was very nice to have a proper meetup & to be able to talk & have a beer together!! We sat at an outside table at City Works & had a lot of fun talking & enjoying each others company!! I felt bad b/c J was starting to get antsy. I thought it was b/c he was tired(which he was) but as we were walking to the bus I learned what the bigger culprit was. He was scared b/c there was a lot of activity in the sky!! Can't say that I blame him--one thing I hate more than anything is driving in thunder & lightening!!

I was a bit hesitant at first to ask our server to take our pic with my phone(covid & all) but she was more than happy to!!
View attachment 502679
I had so much fun enjoying our friends company & I sincerely hope that our paths will cross again soon someday!!🍺 Amy, I owe you one!!

Due to the weather we knew walking would be out of the question so we took the bus. We got the back so J was excited!!
View attachment 502680
Check out my hair--no matter what I put in it that's what humidity does to it!!

We got back to Saratoga Springs in short order & J noticed this little fella on the trash can.
View attachment 502681

We wondered what he was waiting for??
View attachment 502682

It was so fun to meet up with all of you! We had a fantastic time and we thought J was such a little trooper to put up with all the adult talk! I really hope our trips match up again some day, and very soon! And yes it was in 2018 that we were able to talk for like 30 seconds at the Poly monorail platform. I was there on a trip with one of my college friends.

Here's a picture from that quick meet!
IMG_2806.JPG

MegRuss626

On the way to our meetup I took this picture & sent it to R. We have had one of these stores at our local mall & he always wanted to get a shave there. I bought him a gc for Christmas. Guess who never used it & guess what stayed closed after the covid reopening?:mad:

The one at Ross Park??? George had always wanted to go there for a shave so that was his Father’s Day present 2 years ago!
0257DFAC-B131-487D-AAD3-8BB71308E1AD.jpeg

lindawdw

Your dinners at Paddlefish looks delicious! We haven't eaten there since 1982 when it was called The Empress Lilly! How fun that you got to have a proper meetup with Amy and Brad! :) The frog looks as if he's contemplating jumping but not quite sure. 🤣 BTW, I have the same issue with my hair and humidity!:rolleyes:

riverside

Original Poster
WOW! So many great pictures and memories! How very sweet of Bob to send you a happy bday video!! :geek: :geek: :geek: Your trips and TR's won't be the same ....
I was tearing up looking at all those pictures. No, unfortunately they won't be. I'm thinking nothing is ever going to be the same...
Oh my gosh! It's Amy and Brad!!! That must have been a very fun meet-up. :joyfull:
Yes it was!! I was so happy we were able to meet!!
Awesome! Ask him to please send a pic when he puts them together!
Will do--I'm thinking it may take him awhile though. Since he's in school now he is wiped out by the time he gets home. E said they were in the car one day around 4:30 & he was falling asleep!!
It was so fun to meet up with all of you! We had a fantastic time and we thought J was such a little trooper to put up with all the adult talk! I really hope our trips match up again some day, and very soon! And yes it was in 2018 that we were able to talk for like 30 seconds at the Poly monorail platform. I was there on a trip with one of my college friends.
The bad thing is that being around adults he starts to talk like one--specifically R!! E said the other day that more & more J sounds like R talking b/c he picks up on everything he says & repeats. With some of the things that comes out of R's mouth it's not necessarily a good thing!!

I sincerely hope our trips match up again also!! And soon!! :)
The one at Ross Park??? George had always wanted to go there for a shave so that was his Father’s Day present 2 years ago!
Yep. He always wanted to do it also so that's why I got him the gc. He shouldn't have waited to use it:( I was just there the other day & there's already another store in it's place. For the life of me I can't remember what it is right now though. Did George think it was worth it?
Your dinners at Paddlefish looks delicious! We haven't eaten there since 1982 when it was called The Empress Lilly! How fun that you got to have a proper meetup with Amy and Brad! :) The frog looks as if he's contemplating jumping but not quite sure. 🤣 BTW, I have the same issue with my hair and humidity!:rolleyes:
They were very good. I didn't know it was called The Empress Lilly before. I ate there when it was Fulton's but didn't know it was called something else before that. Yes, I was happy to have a proper meetup!! It was fun!! I agree with you on the frog!! The hair issue stinks--no matter what I do/don't do it keeps frizzing away in the humidity!!

riverside

Original Poster
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH

This morning we had a breakfast reservation at Topolino's!! We wanted to eat there for two reasons--1, it was somewhere new for us to try & check out The Riviera and 2, since there are no character meet & greets this is one of the only places where you would be able to get "somewhat" close to them and let's face it, you can't got to Disney without seeing Mickey!!

While waiting for the bus I sent this picture to R since he loves to golf. He usually golfs every Saturday & Sunday during the warm months--heck he's golfing right now & it's 54 degrees!!
IMG_7006.JPEG

Our plan had been to take the bus to HS then get on the Skyliner to The Riviera but....the HS bus wasn't running until 9:30 & our reservation was at 10 so we knew we wouldn't make it. A Minnie Van would have been super handy right then. Speaking of which I'm really bummed that they discontinued that service. It was a little pricey but was well worth it esp. with J needing a car seat. We always felt very comfortable taking that with him. The CM's were good about putting the car seat in efficiently & safely. The resort music was always a plus too!!

E thought it would be best to get a bus to MK then transfer to a Riviera one.
IMG_7007.JPEG

Perfect plan!! There was one pulling in as we got there.
IMG_7008.JPEG

IMG_7009.JPEG

Our driver was so funny. When we got on the bus he asked us if we were done already!! We explained that we weren't at MK & how we were headed to a reservation. He said he would get us there on time--which he did!! He was a lot of fun to talk to also!! We chatted with him the whole way there.
IMG_7010.JPEG

In no time at all we arrived.
IMG_7011.JPEG

He told us which way to go & we were on our way!!
IMG_7012.JPEG

It was pretty empty there.
IMG_7013.JPEG

I know others have said in their TR's about how small the lobby area is & I definitely agree. It is very pretty though.
IMG_7014.JPEG

Floor 10 here we come!!
IMG_7015.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH

We arrived right on time & were seated immediately. The restaurant is very pretty.
IMG_7016.JPEG

IMG_7017.JPEG

As soon as we sat down Donald started parading around the room.
IMG_7019.JPEG

Daisy was next in her ballerina outfit.
IMG_7020.JPEG

IMG_7021.JPEG

Mickey was next!!
IMG_7022.JPEG

IMG_7024.JPEG

Followed by Minnie!!
IMG_7025.JPEG

All the characters had come around before we got our pastries!!
IMG_7026.JPEG

J enjoyed a chocolate chip muffin!! I thought the presentation of the pastries was adorable!!
IMG_7027.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH

POG Juice!! Yay!! Paper Straws!! Boo!!
IMG_7028.JPEG

We had a nice view during breakfast.
IMG_7029.JPEG

We really enjoyed the atmosphere there.
IMG_7030.JPEG

I tried a croissant & it was excellent!! I normally am not a croissant fan(just too boring for me) but this was great. Very fresh & flaky with great flavor.
IMG_7031.JPEG

Mickey was out again!!
IMG_7032.JPEG

IMG_7033.JPEG

This gentleman brought us our food. We had a nice talk with him. He's from Clairton which is a town a few miles outside of Pittsburgh so we chatted with him for awhile about that!!
IMG_7034.JPEG

J got Mickey waffles. I loved that presentation also!! So cute!!
IMG_7035.JPEG

E got the smoked salmon minus the bagel that it was supposed to come on.
IMG_7036.JPEG

I had the sour cream waffles & they were delicious!!
IMG_7037.JPEG

MegRuss626

Yep. He always wanted to do it also so that's why I got him the gc. He shouldn't have waited to use it:( I was just there the other day & there's already another store in it's place. For the life of me I can't remember what it is right now though. Did George think it was worth it?

He said it was really nice! He was prob there for an hour.
Truth. The closest thing I’ve found to a fix is a product that someone recommended to me here. The company is Big Sexy Hair and it’s their Weather Proof spray.

I second this! It def helps!

slipperalwaysfits

This morning we had a breakfast reservation at Topolino's!! We wanted to eat there for two reasons--1, it was somewhere new for us to try & check out The Riviera and 2, since there are no character meet & greets this is one of the only places where you would be able to get "somewhat" close to them and let's face it, you can't got to Disney without seeing Mickey!!
This is why I'm debating a reservation there...
While waiting for the bus I sent this picture to R since he loves to golf. He usually golfs every Saturday & Sunday during the warm months--heck he's golfing right now & it's 54 degrees!!
Has he ever golfed at Disney? Or maybe I missed that in an old TR.
peaking of which I'm really bummed that they discontinued that service. It was a little pricey but was well worth it esp. with J needing a car seat.
YES, it stinks because the Minnie Vans were so convenient! I bet they come back when it is all said and done!

J enjoyed a chocolate chip muffin!! I thought the presentation of the pastries was adorable!!
ALL the food at Topolino's looks so amazing! I could have had any one of those meals...I sense a reservation in my future...

lindawdw

So glad the bus transportation worked out for you to get to Topolino's in time for breakfast! It looks like you had plenty of character interaction and your food looks fabulous! We ate dinner there in February and really enjoyed our meal. :)

fractal

Thanks all!! Totally bummed & shocked to hear such awful news. He is a great entertainer that brought so much fun & life to POR. I understand Disney is going through some rough times & there is no opening in sight for POR but I think it was a huge mistake on their part. It would have been nice if he could have performed somewhere else in Disney(even a different type of show) until POR reopens. It's an absolute shame & I'm so darn bummed that we won't see his show anymore. Hopefully bigger & better things come his way b/c he definitely deserves it!! BTW--I heard on FB that for now he is still going to be doing his shows Sunday nights at 6. Check him out if you haven't already. You won't be disappointed.

@Zipitidoda you're right about the condolences. I can't tell you the amount of messages I received when the news broke. It was as if someone had passed. Messages through this site & my phone was going crazy. Even friends of mine(who aren't Disney fans in the least) were texting me about it. I just wonder what POR is going to be like in the future.

An overall great guy who is an amazing performer & does so much for charities. E emailed him a month or so ago & told him it was my birthday so he sent me an email of him singing "Happy Birthday" to (as he always calls me) Patti from Pittsburgh!! It is great & so special!!

At the beginning of his shows he always thanked everyone for coming & would make the comment, "I know this is the reason you came to Florida" & everyone would laugh. In our case he was correct. He was a big part of it.
View attachment 502649

View attachment 502650

View attachment 502651

View attachment 502652

View attachment 502653

View attachment 502654

View attachment 502655

View attachment 502656

View attachment 502657

View attachment 502658

As Bob Jackson always said, "No one has more fun than us". I'm thankful for all the years of fun, I just wish it wasn't over.😢💔

These photos made me smile, but so heartbreaking that you can now longer (for now?) see him. 😥

Love that you met up with @ajrwdwgirl and Brad! That must have been fun! 🙂

$5 for iced tea! 😲

riverside

Original Poster
We enjoyed our breakfast at Topolino Terrace at New Years.
It was very good!! Glad you liked it also!!
He said it was really nice! He was prob there for an hour.
Wait until I tell R. He's going to be kicking himself!!
Has he ever golfed at Disney? Or maybe I missed that in an old TR.
He has not. He was supposed to a few years ago but he cancelled b/c it was really hot so he didn't want to.
ALL the food at Topolino's looks so amazing! I could have had any one of those meals...I sense a reservation in my future...
It is good!! We have a dinner reservation there for our next trip!!
So glad the bus transportation worked out for you to get to Topolino's in time for breakfast! It looks like you had plenty of character interaction and your food looks fabulous! We ate dinner there in February and really enjoyed our meal. :)
The transportation is definitely a downer right now. It is a bit tougher to get to other resorts esp. b/c there's no Minnie vans.
What did you have for dinner?? Looking for some pointers!!
These photos made me smile, but so heartbreaking that you can now longer (for now?) see him. 😥

Love that you met up with @ajrwdwgirl and Brad! That must have been fun! 🙂

$5 for iced tea! 😲
It really is upsetting.

It was a lot of fun. I'm so glad we were able to!!

I know, right?? Highway robbery if you ask me!! HUGE gross profit in that!!
I'll continue to stick with the wine!! ;)

Sulley_1313

I had a quick moment to catch up...

Your photos with Bob made me so bummed. It looks like a lot of fond memories were made with him...fingers crossed those won't be the last.

Man, the struggle is real with Disney transportation right now. I totally understand why, but holy batman, what a struggle.

On a lighter note, Topolino's, Paddlefish, and your meetup all looked lovely! Can't wait to read more.

lindawdw

He has not. He was supposed to a few years ago but he cancelled b/c it was really hot so he didn't want to.

The transportation is definitely a downer right now. It is a bit tougher to get to other resorts esp. b/c there's no Minnie vans.

It really is upsetting.

I'll continue to stick with the wine!

It really is upsetting.

I'll continue to stick with the wine!! ;)
Our meal was excellent at Topolino’s! I had the King Salmon. Here’s some pictures of all of our dinners that night!

Attachments

• 6A769340-192C-4090-8C88-805A00BEAD92.jpeg
    6A769340-192C-4090-8C88-805A00BEAD92.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 271034F5-7E7A-4791-B279-36734B286E58.jpeg
    271034F5-7E7A-4791-B279-36734B286E58.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 9F7941C0-D48B-49D4-8EA5-0AADCC29D582.jpeg
    9F7941C0-D48B-49D4-8EA5-0AADCC29D582.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 106

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom