Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

If I want to eat McDonalds for three meals a day every day that is a personal decision that doesn't really impact anyone but me. An infectious disease is another matter entirely, because one person's decision impacts everyone. Most people don't have the means to 100% isolate themselves from others and even if they did what happens when they have a non-covid medical issue and their local hospital is overwhelmed with covid patients? The "stay home if your afraid" mentality is very selfish.
Clearly the answer is to not treat COVID patients, if they die it means they were going to die this year anyway.

Chi84

Premium Member
There needs to be a nationwide mask mandate. Period. End of sentence. Coupled with social distancing.

On the other end, we need to start thinking of how to live/thrive with this virus, we can't handle another lockdown. I know this may come as a shock to some ;), but other companies, mom/pops shops, industries have been laying employees off this entire time.

What's upsetting if from what I read is correct, we've been waiting for a vaccine, but people are now saying they won't get the vaccine, it's not safe, it's not going to work - then I'm not sure what else we can do? Are those same people asking to go back into a complete lockdown?

I know it's an unpopular view (although if we follow masks/social distancing guidelines, I don't know why it's unpopular) but we can't go back to full on lockdowns. We have to get the economy moving again, somehow.

I'm not discounting the very real risks from Covid, but we've got to find someway to mitigate those risks and still start to thrive again. I say this as someone who has been personally affected by furloughs/pay-cuts and so have many of my friends/family. People just won't make it again.
A nationwide mask mandate won't do much if people can't be persuaded to put off large indoor gatherings during the holiday season. According to the CDC, that's the way the virus primarily spreads. Masks at the grocery store are much less effective (but easier and therefore more popular) than canceling holiday gatherings/religious services. I know I've said it before, but Illinois has had a mask mandate since May 1 and we had a serious spike after the 4th of July.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wrong it impacts our healthcare system which impacts all of us. There are a lot more people dying from their life choices than people dying of Covid. Covid will be long gone in a year or two, but Americans will still be unhealthy.

I was over simplifying to make a point. Not taking precautions to avoid covid infection has a much more direct impact on others then the McDonalds example.

dreday3

A nationwide mask mandate won't do much if people can't be persuaded to put off large indoor gatherings during the holiday season. According to the CDC, that's the way the virus primarily spreads. Masks at the grocery store are much less effective (but easier and therefore more popular) than canceling holiday gatherings/religious services. I know I've said it before, but Illinois has had a mask mandate since May 1 and we had a serious spike after the 4th of July.

I'm in Illinois, Chicago to be exact. We are actually doing pretty darn good here. We had a spike, in certain regions across the state that weren't as good about masks and other things

Also, we had a spike but hospitalizations stayed steady which is great.

Masks work and I actually think the metro area in Illinois is a great example.

Yes cases are going to spike from time to time, thats the nature of a virus. But if masks were mandated, it shouldn't be as severe as the first go around. People are going to gather indoors, you are right. Not sure we can stop that.

oceanbreeze77

I want to know why conspiracy theories have so much weight over people not wanting something. Masks, vaccines, lockdowns, most of the time I see someone arguing against them (not necessarily here)its tagged along with parts of a conspiracy theory that just isn't true. You want to talk about fear, THAT is fear. Why is your fear of government more valid than the fear of a deadly virus? (Dont answer, I'm just putting words down here)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I want to know why conspiracy theories have so much weight over people not wanting something. Masks, vaccines, lockdowns, most of the time I see someone arguing against them its tagged along with parts of a conspiracy theory that just isn't true. You want to talk about fear, THAT is fear. Why is your fear of government more valid than the fear of a deadly virus? (Dont answer, I'm just putting words down here)

Conspiracy thinking is a much bigger topic. :)

DisneyCane

I want to know why conspiracy theories have so much weight over people not wanting something. Masks, vaccines, lockdowns, most of the time I see someone arguing against them its tagged along with parts of a conspiracy theory that just isn't true. You want to talk about fear, THAT is fear. Why is your fear of government more valid than the fear of a deadly virus? (Dont answer, I'm just putting words down here)
I don't believe in conspiracy theories. How is aversion to lockdowns a conspiracy theory?

disdonald

Look, I know there are still people who are going to be "ignorant" about it and not wear the mask.

But I think if it came from the top, people would wear the masks. A lot more people than those who wouldn't. I won't go into the mess of how some states wear masks, some state won't - we all know how that is turning out. One mandate is what we need.

I have faith that (most) people would follow it. I say this because I live in a very large city with people from all walks of life and mask compliance is excellent - because we were told we have to wear them, end of story.

And I think if people understood - because I think some don't - that wearing a mask can lead to loosening of other restrictions (obviously not everything) - they would be more willing. There's been no clear message about it. As bizarre as it seems to some of us, ;), some people look to one "person" for guidance...
I am not sure we need a mask mandate. Everywhere I go, masks are required and I see people wearing them unless they are outside or eating in a restaurant. Even went to Florida twice over summer and both times, masks requirements everywhere. I think at this point most people are following the rules and those following the rules, which are probably over 95% are a little leery and keep their distance and are more aware.

I have not seen any abuse of the rule and if outside, the risk is probably mitigated quite a bit unless in a crowded space, which is currently not allowed in any state, as far as I know.

If there is a mandate how much longer. Most of us are already in this for over 4 months, so how much longer.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am not sure we need a mask mandate. Everywhere I go, masks are required and I see people wearing them unless they are outside or eating in a restaurant. Even went to Florida twice over summer and both times, masks requirements everywhere. I think at this point most people are following the rules and those following the rules, which are probably over 95% are a little leery and keep their distance and are more aware.

I have not seen any abuse of the rule and if outside, the risk is probably mitigated quite a bit unless in a crowded space, which is currently not allowed in any state, as far as I know.

If there is a mandate how much longer. Most of us are already in this for over 4 months, so how much longer.

Some parts of the country are much better with compliance then others.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'd like to know exactly how a nationwide mask mandate would be legally implemented without declaring martial law? Regardless of feelings about what should be done, it's a question that hasn't been answered.

Yeah, I have heard it discussed that that may be a violation of states rights. There are also political ways that the federal government could use to force states to do it. Short of a mandate I still think a single unified and persistent message from the top would go a long way to increasing compliance.

DisneyCane

9/30 Florida numbers preview:

2,814 new resident cases
4.62% new case positivity (this tends to be a little higher when the PDF is released)
Total tests over 61,000

I think next week is a critical week to watch the data. Phase 3 was implemented last Friday. Given the average 5 days or so incubation period and testing lag, infections as a result of relaxed restrictions should become apparent next week.

DisneyCane

Which parts of the country are not good with compliance? Do you have some additional information
This is a good question. Even in South Dakota people complied when inside businesses that required them.

Unless the poster meant "compliance" as in wearing a mask when not required to.

oceanbreeze77

9/30 Florida numbers preview:

2,814 new resident cases
4.62% new case positivity (this tends to be a little higher when the PDF is released)
Total tests over 61,000

I think next week is a critical week to watch the data. Phase 3 was implemented last Friday. Given the average 5 days or so incubation period and testing lag, infections as a result of relaxed restrictions should become apparent next week.
I would say the week after. Next week people will start to get tested, feel the need to get tested, the week after will show these results.

Reactions: Doc

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm in Illinois, Chicago to be exact. We are actually doing pretty darn good here. We had a spike, in certain regions across the state that weren't as good about masks and other things

Also, we had a spike but hospitalizations stayed steady which is great.

Masks work and I actually think the metro area in Illinois is a great example.

Yes cases are going to spike from time to time, thats the nature of a virus. But if masks were mandated, it shouldn't be as severe as the first go around. People are going to gather indoors, you are right. Not sure we can stop that.
Also in Chicago, and I agree with what you said. We are doing better than most, primarily because our State was one of the first to respond with closings and mandates. Local officials attributed the spike to holiday gatherings, graduations, weddings, indoor restaurant and bar openings, etc. where people cannot or will not wear masks. We need to keep re-evalutating our responses to the virus. If people are going to gather indoors and there's nothing we can do to stop it, there will likely be additional spikes - a mask mandate can only do so much. Although at this point, I guess doing anything is better than nothing at all.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

disdonald

This is the most recent data I have been able to find. Maybe compliance has increased since then:

This is the most recent data I have been able to find. Maybe compliance has increased since then:

I am concerned about the accuracy of this since they are way off for my county when this was published and does not seem to take into account if there was a mask mandate for a given area and if a mask mandate was necessary.

olie64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom