Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek

I'd like to know exactly how a nationwide mask mandate would be legally implemented without declaring martial law? Regardless of feelings about what should be done, it's a question that hasn't been answered.

If a respected leader on the national level came out and asked nicely that such a thing be done out of all of our best interests, such legal questions wouldn’t really matter.

dreday3

I'd like to know exactly how a nationwide mask mandate would be legally implemented without declaring martial law? Regardless of feelings about what should be done, it's a question that hasn't been answered.
Look, I know there are still people who are going to be "ignorant" about it and not wear the mask.

But I think if it came from the top, people would wear the masks. A lot more people than those who wouldn't. I won't go into the mess of how some states wear masks, some state won't - we all know how that is turning out. One mandate is what we need.

I have faith that (most) people would follow it. I say this because I live in a very large city with people from all walks of life and mask compliance is excellent - because we were told we have to wear them, end of story.

And I think if people understood - because I think some don't - that wearing a mask can lead to loosening of other restrictions (obviously not everything) - they would be more willing. There's been no clear message about it. As bizarre as it seems to some of us, ;), some people look to one "person" for guidance...

ImperfectPixie

Can we just stop with the incessant back and forth of the same crap? You've been arguing your case for months. Enough already.

ImperfectPixie

Look, I know there are still people who are going to be "ignorant" about it and not wear the mask.

But I think if it came from the top, people would wear the masks. A lot more people than those who wouldn't. I won't go into the mess of how some states wear masks, some state won't - we all know how that is turning out. One mandate is what we need.

I have faith that (most) people would follow it. I say this because I live in a very large city with people from all walks of life and mask compliance is excellent - because we were told we have to wear them, end of story.

And I think if people understood - because I think some don't - that wearing a mask canlead to loosening of other restrictions (obviously not everything) - they would be more willing. There's been no clear message about it. As bizarre as it seems to some of us, ;), some people look to one "person" for guidance...
Unfortunately, the mask bridge was burned months ago.

ImperfectPixie

No way. Things can always change.
If you've seen the video interviews I have, you might not be so sure about that. There are still large numbers of people who believe deep-down that this whole thing is a hoax. I saw one person say that he doesn't wear a mask because he can't hear other people speak when they wear them...even though the interviewer was wearing a mask and he could hear him fine. 🤦‍♀️

I'm ashamed to be an American these days because "we" keep proving how incredibly stupid "we" are.

dreday3

If you've seen the video interviews I have, you might not be so sure about that. There are still large numbers of people who believe deep-down that this whole thing is a hoax. I saw one person say that he doesn't wear a mask because he can't hear other people speak when they wear them...even though the interviewer was wearing a mask and he could hear him fine. 🤦‍♀️

I'm ashamed to be an American these days because "we" keep proving how incredibly stupid "we" are.

I haven't. I'll be honest, outside of Disney boards because I'm still planning a trip, I don't follow social media (although our cat has an instagram). And I still don't believe that videos like that, etc., represent a majority of Americans. A majority of loudmouths? Sure! But reasonable/rational people usually aren't the ones interviewed or featured in the news or elsewhere.

Along those lines, I suggest everyone watch - The Social Dilemma - on Netflix. Fascinating! :D

Miss Bella

Exactly. It's not that I don't value the lives of the elderly. I'm not saying not to try and protect the elderly from COVID. I'm saying that once somebody is elderly, they have lived a full life and, unfortunately for all of us, don't have a long life ahead of them like young people do. My dad recently passed at 80 (not from COVID). From watching ESPN, I often see reports of former athletes that pass in their 70's.

As I said in that post I dug up, if the mortality rate was high for children and young adults I would support taking every possible drastic measure to save as many lives as possible. However, since the fact is that the VAST, VAST majority of deaths are in elderly people I believe that things should be done to try and protect the elderly that don't involve shutting down life or significantly reducing the quality of life for billions of young people who have a long life ahead of them.

WDW is a perfect example. If WDW was still closed like DL, there would be tens of thousands of children and families deprived of enjoying their lives. I don't believe they should be deprived as a trade off for possibly extending the lives of some number of elderly people by a few months or a couple of years. In fact, I would expect that many grandparents would want their grandkids to take a trip to WDW and enjoy their childhood even with the small chance that they might contract COVID as the result of their grandkids taking the trip.

Some number of families have forever missed out on a once in a lifetime trip filled with lifelong memories because of the COVID shutdown. My underlying philosophy in this whole thing has been that, for humans, life is about more than just existing.

Another example is my friend's dad. He is 82 and has been battling cancer. He told my friend that he doesn't want to spend whatever life he has left locked up at home and that he'd rather take the chance of getting COVID and do things that he enjoys.
Honestly I think a lot seasoned citizens feel that. My 80 year old mother in law lost her husband this Summer{cancer}. She's healthy and could give a rats behind about Covid. She want's to get out and travel again while she's healthy enough to do so. She might be the first one back on a cruise ship.
On another note I haven't seen my mom in assisted living since February. The state of California won't let me. My mom could die without having seen her family for months. Does anyone think she wants that.

ImperfectPixie

I haven't. I'll be honest, outside of Disney boards because I'm still planning a trip, I don't follow social media (although our cat has an instagram). And I still don't believe that videos like that, etc., represent a majority of Americans. A majority of loudmouths? Sure! But reasonable/rational people usually aren't the ones interviewed or featured in the news or elsewhere.

Along those lines, I suggest everyone watch - The Social Dilemma - on Netflix. Fascinating! :D
That interview was at an event...with THOUSANDS of other people...most of whom weren't wearing masks. It's an event that is recurring around the country right now...but I won't get into that because the topic isn't allowed on this thread.

Jenny72

I don't think it's crazy to worry less over a disease that kills elderly people more than young people. If elderly people are wiped out, we all have shorter lifespans. But if children and young people are wiped out, the human race is extinguished. There is an instinctive rationale to wanting to protect innocent children and that is natural and reasonable.

That having been said, there are so many things we can do to prevent deaths and long-term morbidity and we should do it. There are ways to do it responsibly, and for the most part I think Disney is a good model for this. There are ways to adapt activities so that people are safer.

As for what we will do if there is no vaccine, we'll have to figure it out. We could also ask what we'll do if it mutates and becomes more deadly, or starts primarily attacking young people, or if immunity wears off after a year, or, or, or... In all these cases, we will need to adjust what we are doing.

dreday3

That interview was at an event...with THOUSANDS of other people...most of whom weren't wearing masks. It's an event that is recurring around the country right now...but I won't get into that because the topic isn't allowed on this thread.

We will have to agree to disagree - I stand by my opinion if a mandate comes, majority will wear masks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just allow people to make their own decisions - be treated as adults rather than imbecile children who must be 'protected'.

If I want to eat McDonalds for three meals a day every day that is a personal decision that doesn't really impact anyone but me. An infectious disease is another matter entirely, because one person's decision impacts everyone. Most people don't have the means to 100% isolate themselves from others and even if they did what happens when they have a non-covid medical issue and their local hospital is overwhelmed with covid patients? The "stay home if your afraid" mentality is very selfish.

Miss Bella

America used to be a free country without people who believe only their views are correct forcing mandates on the people. You are free to stay in your bunker - I have no problem with that. Maybe you should extend the same courtesy to me.
The people that preach tolerance tend to be the most intolerant. Just to add I wasn't referring to you. Just in general.

Last edited:

Miss Bella

If I want to eat McDonalds for three meals a day every day that is a personal decision that doesn't really impact anyone but me. An infectious disease is another matter entirely, because one person's decision impacts everyone. Most people don't have the means to 100% isolate themselves from others and even if they did what happens when they have a non-covid medical issue and their local hospital is overwhelmed with covid patients? The "stay home if your afraid" mentality is very selfish.
Wrong it impacts our healthcare system which impacts all of us. There are a lot more people dying from their life choices than people dying of Covid. Covid will be long gone in a year or two, but Americans will still be unhealthy.

Lilofan

Eating fast food daily will keep the health care industry employed for many years to come.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It is about time the American people were treated as adults - able to make decisions for themselves. It is simple - if you have been scared out of your mind by the media hype then stay indoors but let the rest of us decide for ourselves. Disney has certainly gone crazy about 'safety' - just tell me what in life is 100% safe. Masks outdoors are ridiculous. All the circles and marks on the ground are ridiculous. I guess for some life is too dangerous to be lived - sad.

Most people realize that nothing in life is 100% safe, but on the other side of the coin we know there are dangerous things where we need to take precautions. I doubt you would find many people who would say "life's to short to be afraid" and then walk outside in the middle of a CAT 5 hurricane. COVID isn't the end of the world, but it's now killed 4 to 5 times more people then the next most common infectious disease in the US, and the year isn't over yet. It's also a disease we are still learning about so we don't know the long term effects. For these reasons is makes sense to err on the side of caution. People also have different levels of risk aversion, I would never look down on someone who has decided to play it safe.

As for masks outside, yes there is minimal need for them as long as you are stay out of large groups, but at places like Disney is is much easier to have a blanket rule then to try to detail exactly where masks are needed and where they are not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom