Disneyland and Disney World lay off 28,000 employees amid pandemic struggles - OCR/SCNG

TP2000

"The massive layoffs coming to Disney theme parks in the U.S. as a result of the coronavirus pandemic are expected to cost nearly 3,500 Disneyland restaurant and hotel union workers their jobs and put more than 400 Imagineers out of work.

An exact count of layoffs at the Disneyland resort is not yet available, but an early estimate puts the number in excess of 5,000 employees, known as cast members in Disney parlance. That number is expected to rise.

Unions that represent a vast majority of Disneyland cast members are just beginning to assess the massive layoffs that will impact their members. Disneyland’s union employees make up at least 28,000 of the 32,000 cast members at the two Anaheim theme parks.

Workers United Local 50 expects 2,500 of its 7,850 Disneyland food and beverage workers to be laid off."

jerryp49

Copied and pasted :

BlogMickey.com has learned that over 2,600 non-union Cast Members will be laid off at the Disneyland Resort in California. According to the WARN notice that was filed with the state of California and obtained by BlogMickey.com, 2,691 non-union Cast Members will be let go beginning December 4th. Here is the breakdown of business groups affected by the layoffs:

Beginning December 4th ??.... Sounds like they don`t expect a stellar holiday season

oceanbreeze77

"BlogMickey.com has learned that over 2,600 non-union Cast Members will be laid off at the Disneyland Resort in California. According to the WARN notice that was filed with the state of California and obtained by BlogMickey.com, 2,691 non-union Cast Members will be let go beginning December 4th. Here is the breakdown of business groups affected by the layoffs:

Disney Parks and Resorts (Disneyland and related operations): 2,467
Disney Entertainment: 129
Disney Destinations: 95"

Is Disney entertainment park entertainment? Like parades?

TP2000

Copied and pasted :

BlogMickey.com has learned that over 2,600 non-union Cast Members will be laid off at the Disneyland Resort in California. According to the WARN notice that was filed with the state of California and obtained by BlogMickey.com, 2,691 non-union Cast Members will be let go beginning December 4th. Here is the breakdown of business groups affected by the layoffs:

Beginning December 4th ??.... Sounds like they don`t expect a stellar holiday season

It's fairly standard for a big company's severance package to include 60 to 90 days of pay and benefits before you are removed entirely from the payroll. This also allows an employee and their family to wrap up any existing doctor's appointments, etc. I would also imagine that tenured CM's are being given a lump sum payment based on how many years they were with the company.

Thus, if you were laid off this week, your severance package apparently includes 60 days of regular weekly paychecks through the payroll week ending December 4th, and then a lump sum payment also distributed that week based on your length of service.

But your point is still valid. Clearly Disneyland is not expecting to be busy this Christmas season. If they are even reopen by then at all.

TP2000

Bye bye, photo pass. WDC got a lucky break with this pandemic, it gave them the perfect excuse to do it.
...They’ll be able to neatly package lots of bad news as “one” piece of bad news.

Honestly, I'm surprised Photopass lasted through the entire 2010's and the Selfie Era as long as it did. It should have been phased out and shut down five years ago.

SuddenStorm

Disney Management should take this opportunity to make a list of CM's not to call back when things return to normal, and those that the company should make every effort to provide employment too once things are back to normal. Not to mention restructuring and optimizing the operations of the resort to be more efficient when the park does reopen.

TP2000

So Disneyland loses about 5k+ of the 28k?? Is WDW about to get slaughtered?

I think the real slaughter is at the Disney Cruise Lines. There's no good reason why anyone should be employed by that division now, or through 2021.

The Register also reported that over 400 Imagineers based out of Glendale are being fired this week.

I would imagine that if at least 5,000 layoffs are happening at Disneyland, the number for WDW is around 12,000 to 15,000. There were 32,000 CM's at Disneyland, and a bit over 70,000 at WDW back in January.

I could see the breakdown of layoffs this week going as follows;
Disneyland = 5,000
WDW = 15,000
DCL = 5,000
WDI = 500
DVC, Aulani, Consumer Products, Misc. = 2,500

TP2000

Bigger than that, they are the design group for the shows and live events. They would be the team who design the parades and theater shows, or WoC/Fireworks. They work on items at the parks and on the cruise ships, also more limited things like the Rose Parade.

Even when Disneyland reopens, it's going to be a long time before they are allowed by Sacramento to have parades and water shows and entertainment extravaganzas. There's no reason why anyone would need to work on new stuff now, or for the next year or two. It's sad, but it's reality.

Brer Oswald

I think the real slaughter is at the Disney Cruise Lines. There's no good reason why anyone should be employed by that division now, or through 2021.

The Register also reported that over 400 Imagineers based out of Glendale are being fired this week.

I would imagine that if at least 5,000 layoffs are happening at Disneyland, the number for WDW is around 12,000 to 15,000. There were 32,000 CM's at Disneyland, and a bit over 70,000 at WDW back in January.

I could see the breakdown of layoffs this week going as follows;
Disneyland = 5,000
WDW = 15,000
DCL = 5,000
WDI = 500
DVC, Aulani, Consumer Products, Misc. = 2,500
That’s awful. I have a very good friend who works on the Cruise. A server. The best Cast Member I’ve ever encountered (and I’ve encountered a lot).

mandelbrot

Disney executive compensation remains unchanged so we all can breathe a sigh of relief that the pain and suffering is restricted to the most vulnerable.

TP2000

Unite HERE leaders from Anaheim have driven up to Sacramento today. Apparently there's a months-old bill that the Governor hasn't signed that would mandate theme park and hotel employers hire back their former employees once things "return to normal". Governor Newsom has had weeks to sign it into law, but he hasn't and it expires tonight at Midnight.

The last Tweet from Governor Newsom today was this one, with no mention of the hospitality bill about to expire...

Mac Tonight

source.gif

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Dare I bring up the incredibly foolish decision to announce a Splash Mountain change, or all of the unnecessarily stupid modifications they've been making over the last oh 5 or 10 years?

Hindsight is 2020 but still.

On a scale of jerk to GET OUT OF HERE YOU STUPID CAR PROFILE PIC POSTER, how insensitive is it of me to hope Chapek and his team of Pixar Pier imagineers were / will be laid off?

Before you roast me, I was laid off too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom