Yehaa Bob

Jon81uk

I disagree with this when it comes to Bob. He 100% makes Riverside money in alcohol sales. You ever seen that lounge when he’s playing? It’s jam packed for hours and the majority in there are ordering drinks. If his show is gone when they reopen there is no way that space is anything more than a quiet place to sit with maybe a handful of people in there at a time
But when the resort is closed for the foreseeable future then its not even open to attempt to make money. Its possible that resorts won't open up until 2022. I would love to see him return but I don't think things are going back to normal for years.

Jon81uk

And they couldn’t temporarily transfer him? How much does it cost to employ one many who entertains a whole room? Even a whole resort? With barely any running costs?

Although I agree in principle that he should be performing in another resort, I don't think the style of show is particularly feasible with Covid. Singing has been shown to project aerosols further so the crowds shouldn't be joining in with songs, also they will need to remain seated and distanced which isn't really in the spirit of the show.
He is probably capable of doing a "quieter" show where everyone remains quieter and seated at their socially distanced tables, but it wouldn't be the same.

TrainsOfDisney

Although I agree in principle that he should be performing in another resort, I don't think the style of show is particularly feasible with Covid. Singing has been shown to project aerosols further so the crowds shouldn't be joining in with songs, also they will need to remain seated and distanced which isn't really in the spirit of the show.
He is probably capable of doing a "quieter" show where everyone remains quieter and seated at their socially distanced tables, but it wouldn't be the same.

So the frozen sing along is fine but not a piano player?

Also... he’s been with Disney 23 years and used to play at the Saloon in Magic Kingdom.

Jon81uk

So the frozen sing along is fine but not a piano player?

Also... he’s been with Disney 23 years and used to play at the Saloon in Magic Kingdom.

I've already posted in the DHS thread about the fact that the Frozen show should not be presented as a sing-a-long in the current circumstances.

No show should be encouraging audience singing whether it is at Disney, a church or any other venue.

TrainsOfDisney

I've already posted in the DHS thread about the fact that the Frozen show should not be presented as a sing-a-long in the current circumstances.

No show should be encouraging audience singing whether it is at Disney, a church or any other venue.
I agree. But that’s not why Disney let him go. With a lack of full theatre shows, there are plenty of places for performers to work.

Jon81uk

I agree. But that’s not why Disney let him go. With a lack of full theatre shows, there are plenty of places for performers to work.

Yes, I was just discussing why a show in the style he traditionally offered at POR wouldn't be feasible. In general they aren't moving him to save money as they aren't/can't get enough guests at the moment.

Lilofan

It’s unlikely port orleans will be open any time soon. Definitely not this year. Might barely open in time for the 50th and even that is questionable.
Whatever year Port Orleans opens, there is going to be a lot of mold and mildew to clean before guests check in.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
And they couldn’t temporarily transfer him? How much does it cost to employ one many who entertains a whole room? Even a whole resort? With barely any running costs?
And generates revenue. I mean it’s not like his show couldn’t be adapted and put somewhere else. Doesn’t even have to be at a lounge.

dmw

In the Parks
No
So sad to hear. We enjoyed seeing Bob for the first (and only) time last year. But, with the resort closed and really no way for (un)social distancing in that lounge, the decision makes sense. Maybe when POR re-opens and this mess is behind us his show will return.

orlandogal22

I really hope you are right but I’m guessing after the holidays they will be cut as well.

Jellyrolls is not owned by Disney. Maybe the last place to see live music on property one day.

I would not be surprised if VoL go away. I never thought the Fife & Drum Corps would go away. In an American park, representing an American pavilion. Nothing surprises me anymore about the decisions of my former employer - sad to say.

muddyrivers

That's my reaction. He could easily split the sets with the current pianist on Main Street. He could play in HS where the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra is playing. He could play in EPCOT where Carol plays. It would be guaranteed that wherever Bob is playing, he would attract an audience. Not only that, many parts of his act can be done socially distanced. You don't have to run around the venue, but you can still do Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes. He can still have the kids bellowing Spongebob Squarepants or the Oscar Meyer Weiner song, there's a lot of options here.

Not only that, Bob does have a serious streak to him. He plays (played?) for a local church and many of his recordings are not those that are part of an act. So Disney could even leverage that if they wanted to. However, as other have said, I've been going to Dixie Landings (now POR) for a long time. When Bob started in the late 90s, the River Roost Lounge became THE place to be when he was playing and continued until the shutdown. I can't imagine what Disney was paying him was more than what they were making off of all the alcohol sales, especially as the night continued on.

Hoping to see Bob at the Lounge sooner rather than the later. In the meantime, if anyone finds a petition being circulated, please share it here.

EPCOT-O.G.

The cutting of entertainment isn't unexpected... It's low hanging fruit given the minimal attendance, closed venues, and current restrictions on crowd sizes.
that, and there may be a legitimate concern over the use of wind instruments and singers. If many can’t perform while wearing a mask, and there’s a famous study of that inside choir that social distanced where everyone still got sick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom