Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

GladToBeHear

It's awful news. But it's simply too unsafe to travel right now and we must keep everyone safe.

Many, many hundreds of thousands more, if not millions, will loose their jobs at other large companies in the next year I fear. The economic damage will ripple through the economy for a while.
Is it? My family and I traveled from Texas to WDW last month for two weeks and everyone is fine.

Lilofan

So I guess the stimulus ran out and Disney is starting the permanent cuts for real? This can only be the first of several layoffs.
TWDC has many business units. The public is still awaiting the layoff plan of other sections of the company. A previous post on a DLR union stated from a DLR comment in the union FB page that non union, salaried and executive cast are being laid off currently. Hourly union cast will start to get laid off starting Nov 1. Is it surprising? Iger for a few years envisioned a leaner more efficient top down organization. Perhaps no one paid much attention to his vision.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yeah...that’s not the issue. But let your personal spite affect your view of reality 👍🏻

It is in indeed.

No...when the economy gets a cold, travel gets the flu...all of it (bad timing on the analogy...but its the most applicable one)

This was inevitable. The world is barreling toward a prolonged recession (if we’re lucky). Stocks are not reflective of jobs and workers anymore.
The US is masking this because of unprecedented politics.
None of this is in doubt.

thats not THE issue but it is AN issue and a big one.

layoffs would have still occurred sure but the fact that Disneyland isn’t open and every other disney park on the globe is makes California just look ridiculous at this point and it’s hurting their own people as well

stevebwv

It is wild to see the "lock it down" crowd cry foul with these layoffs. What are the choices? It like asking a homeowner to continue to pay to have their home cleaned (or whatever job you pay for) after the house burns down. It is a detachment from reality to claim the "science" and ignoring the science of economics. These decision are far reaching and this is just one small effect.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
thats not THE issue but it is AN issue and a big one.

layoffs would have still occurred sure but the fact that Disneyland isn’t open and every other disney park on the globe is makes California just look ridiculous at this point and it’s hurting their own people as well

I just think throwing that much blame on a single politician - except the obvious one - is too much.

He’s on the “caution” side of it as well. Is it too much? Maybe...but it’s hard to really blame when it’s raw data and the data just doesn’t get there.

We’re all sick and tired (figuratively)...but starting over again is the LAST thing anyone wants. It’s a catastrophe scenario.

eliza61nyc

It is wild to see the "lock it down" crowd cry foul with these layoffs. What are the choices? It like asking a homeowner to continue to pay to have their home cleaned (or whatever job you pay for) after the house burns down. It is a detachment from reality to claim the "science" and ignoring the science of economics. These decision are far reaching and this is just one small effect.
I don't see it as ignoring. choices have to be made, my company is about to institute furloughs again. we had a month furlough back in April and the only reason why there are not layoffs is because they offered a sweet early retirement package that a boat load of folks jump on. BUT even with the plants reopening we have been told to absolutely expect a bumpy 2021 (I'm in the chemical industry). no raises for the foreseeable future and rolling 2 week furloughs.

Now I'm one that doesn't think that reopening would have made one bit of difference. layoffs would have come, would it be as catastrophic as it is now? who knows but it's equally as "detached" to think that opening any thing back up is going to result as "business as usual"

I totally get our desire to "get back" to normal. lord knows I'm sick of even hearing the word covid but unfortunately as Dr. Fauci has said, the virus is in control

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom