Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Communicora

Premium Member
I just purchased my tickets and booked reservations. I must admit I am excited. Can I get suggestions? Arriving @ Epcot around noon tomorrow and MK Thursday open to close. What time does the toll booth open for parking? What time does the boat or monorail start from the Visitor Center? Looking for the best plan and opinions. Thanks!
I hope you have a safe trip! This thread is very focused on coronavirus and related news. You might have better luck in the WDW Trip Planning forum!

Slpy3270

Once again I'm seeing people citing this as "evidence" Disney is doomed/going bankrupt/will not recover and that the company will be sold for parts. "Evidence" that the Parks division is being destroyed.

And all I can say to that is bull. This is just Disney doing bull cost-cutting just to maintain pre-pandemic profits (which is a foolish gesture anyhow). Perhaps a year or two from now it will be like nothing happened (hopefully Disney will be courteous enough to rehire the laid off workers, but that's probably just wishful thinking).

The company is fine. Worry about the workers.

Lilofan

Disney will most likely Cancel. Their customers are predominately Americans.
I really don’t know about NCL or Royal. The only European cruises Ive done were Disney and Carnival and Carnival was also mostly Americans.
Expect the layoffs to also include cruise line staff

Miss Bella

You’ve mentioned industry ties in other posts. Do you think we’ll see 3-4 week of alternating 3 and 4 nights just to adjust before going 5-9 night “longer” itineraries, or will the lines just jump straight back to their posted calendars? I know port agreements and calendars play a role in this, as well.
I really don’t know, but I can’t imagine they are going to change 7 day cruises to three or four. What a booking nightmare. They are having a hard enough time as it is processing refunds and issuing credits. A lot of customers have rebooked multiple times. They just keep kicking the can down the road hoping they’ll eventually sail.

sullyinMT

Expect the layoffs to also include cruise line staff
Absolutely.
Some headlines have read “domestic staff.” While that no doubt affects DCL in their entertainment and port side staff, I wonder too about DLP in this number. Are those outlets mentioning domestic mistaken, or are there in this 28k DLP and the numerous officers and skeleton crew that are still onboard and haven’t already been given terminations of contract from DCL?

Lilofan

Absolutely.
Some headlines have read “domestic staff.” While that no doubt affects DCL in their entertainment and port side staff, I wonder too about DLP in this number. Are those outlets mentioning domestic mistaken, or are there in this 28k DLP and the numerous officers and skeleton crew that are still onboard and haven’t already been given terminations of contract from DCL?
Under Josh D'Amaro is Parks which is all parks worldwide. I'd expect WDW to get hit hard.

sullyinMT

I will go to the movies as soon as they release something I want to see. I generally only pay movie theatres prices for a blockbuster type movie.
Finally went to see Tenet this weekend. Well worth it in IMAX. Crushed that Black Widow moved again. The kids are dying for a theater experience again so I really hope Soul makes it for Thanksgiving.
I really don’t know, but I can’t imagine they are going to change 7 day cruises to three or four. What a booking nightmare. They are having a hard enough time as it is processing refunds and issuing credits. A lot of customers have rebooked multiple times. They just keep kicking the can down the road hoping they’ll eventually sail.
For sure. Not sure which ships on other lines are doing what, but I can totally see DCL “phasing in” with the Dream first to see how it goes. She’s bigger, so more room to spread out, and already slated for shorter itineraries.

sullyinMT

Under Josh D'Amaro is Parks which is all parks worldwide. I'd expect WDW to get hit hard.
I saw in another board WDW still has 21k+ or more furloughed. Poly delayed, All Stars and POR mothballed. Hours, shows, and still a lot of dining to come back online. I’m sure that and paring down to a skeleton crew in DL, you’re right. This news today sucks, for sure.

Archie123

How? People that cruise on Disney are Disney fans. The percentage of people that cruise on DCL and haven’t been to a park are slim to none.

Hence I said "except for the Disney cruise". I am talking about the big 3: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL.

HongKongFooy

I don’t understand why Disney gradually adding things back in a safe way wouldn’t be good news.

Great news, good news............no, I don't see it.

If Disney is bringing back staples that traditionally came with paid admission like fireworks and parades then "yes".

Bringing back add on paid events doesn't do jack in the scheme of things......they mean nothing to the vast numbers of guests compared to the some of the main draws that are still MIA.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Tampa International Airport, in partnership with BayCare Health System, announced the launch of the country’s first airport testing pilot that will offer two types of FDA-approved COVID-19 tests for all departing and arriving passengers.

The testing site, located inside the Main Terminal near the Airside F shuttle, will offer both the rapid antigen test and Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test. PCR nasal swab test results are the most accurate and broadly accepted internationally. Interested travelers will be able to purchase either test regardless of which airline they’re booked on, their gate location or destination.

Testing services will be offered on a walk-in basis from Thursday, October 1st to October 31st, seven days a week from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. The pilot will be open to all ticketed passengers who are flying or have flown within three days and can show proof of travel. The PCR COVID-19 test costs $125 and the antigen test costs $57.

At many destinations around the world, government health agencies are requiring travelers to provide a negative PCR test result to avoid quarantine or other restrictions upon arrival. Passengers departing from Tampa to states, countries or territories requiring negative PCR tests are advised to take the test three days before departure and can expect results within 48 hours.

The antigen test, which produces results in 15 minutes and is most accurate within five days of the onset of symptoms, offers an added layer of same-day reassurance for travelers arriving at or departing TPA."

SamusAranX

"Tampa International Airport, in partnership with BayCare Health System, announced the launch of the country’s first airport testing pilot that will offer two types of FDA-approved COVID-19 tests for all departing and arriving passengers.

The testing site, located inside the Main Terminal near the Airside F shuttle, will offer both the rapid antigen test and Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test. PCR nasal swab test results are the most accurate and broadly accepted internationally. Interested travelers will be able to purchase either test regardless of which airline they’re booked on, their gate location or destination.

Testing services will be offered on a walk-in basis from Thursday, October 1st to October 31st, seven days a week from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. The pilot will be open to all ticketed passengers who are flying or have flown within three days and can show proof of travel. The PCR COVID-19 test costs $125 and the antigen test costs $57.

At many destinations around the world, government health agencies are requiring travelers to provide a negative PCR test result to avoid quarantine or other restrictions upon arrival. Passengers departing from Tampa to states, countries or territories requiring negative PCR tests are advised to take the test three days before departure and can expect results within 48 hours.

The antigen test, which produces results in 15 minutes and is most accurate within five days of the onset of symptoms, offers an added layer of same-day reassurance for travelers arriving at or departing TPA."

Saw this today and now I feel even safer with my Utah boarding trip as I I am going in and out of TIA. Will gladly pay the 57 dollars when I get back to know in 15 minutes or less if I should quarantine

Jrb1979

CDC ban on cruising ends tomorrow. I’m sure the debates over the next few months on the cruise forums will make this thread look like a love fest.

Don't have to worry about those debates now. They originally wanted to extend it til next year.

Lilofan

Miss Bella

Don't have to worry about those debates now. They originally wanted to extend it til next year.
CLIA already had a ban until Oct 31 so cruises weren't starting until after then anyway. I have no cruises booked and I'm keeping all my vacation options open. At least I have theme parks. How are things going up there in Canada?
Good to know about the extension. Cruising irresponsible if going on a ship now.
You're always so concerned about the economy and the layoffs. You post about it every day and multiple times a day, yet you want everything shut down. You're a walking, talking contradiction.

rowrbazzle

I can accept working with children 4 or 5 to get them to wear a mask but I do not get the logic for the little ones that are 3 or younger.
Our 3-year-old has done fine. He has Disney masks so he's excited to wear Forky or Mike Wazowski. I'm not sure he would've done as well a year ago, though. I understand it's based on doctor recommendations, but it does seem like a bit much for a 2-year-old.

Flugell

Our 3-year-old has done fine. He has Disney masks so he's excited to wear Forky or Mike Wazowski. I'm not sure he would've done as well a year ago, though. I understand it's based on doctor recommendations, but it does seem like a bit much for a 2-year-old.
Although I have no young children on which to test my theory, I would guess that as two year olds will barely be able to remember going out without seeing people in masks and that might and I emphasise might help them wear one, especially if it has their favourite character emblazoned on it. However I do think it is a very difficult rule and risks ruining any activity for children and parents alike. Parents don’t want to upset, or potentially frighten, their children.

GimpYancIent

I think you would be very wrong with that. I think cruises are screwed until a vaccine is rolled out. Not many people want to wear masks all day on board and not be able to leave the ship unless they pay for an approved ship excursion.
What about the ports of call? Are the passengers to remain solely on board from point of departure (U.S.) to return (U.S.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom