Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

maxairmike

My reading is all of Parks, Experiences, and Products will likely be hit, so that includes Signature Experiences (DCL/ABD/DVC), and probably Products by way of those Disney Store closings that @the.dreamfinder mentioned. Which will still result in FL getting hurt the most just by the sheer size of the workforce in FL, but this could end up a little more spread out than first reactions thought.

mwf5555

Unfortunately, I figured this was coming - and this time frame makes sense - for the furloughed workers still getting healthcare benefits, the benefits enrollment for 2021 will be opening soon; Disney had to make decisions before that window opens
yeah great, what do the 28k do for health insurance? certainty won't be the ACA (Affordable Care Act)....especially those with pre-existing conditions.....this is going to bankrupt many individuals...

Lilofan

Looks like we can add the Poly Luau "Spirit of Aloha" to the list of things killed in this round of layofffs. Although this is me more asking if anyone else can confirm this one.
Maybe the guests will be signing holiday tunes later in the year in the parks if most of the singers are all gone.

phillip9698

Don't forget about the $5 million to black lives matter and $5 million to COVID relief. I wonder how many jobs could have been saved had it not been for those exorbitant donations, considering how little front-line cast are paid?

Curious, of all the charitable contributions you could have chosen you chose those two instead of lets say Make A Wish. You know Disney donates over $300 million dollars a year right?

There is ALWAYS a "reason" to cut charity contributions. ALWAYS.

chimchimcheree

FWIW, Disney executives are really not acting in good faith here. They ended their executive pay cuts back in August (https://deadline.com/2020/08/disney-fox-coronavirus-pay-reductions-restored-1203018873/amp/) and went ahead with their $1.5bil dividend payout to shareholders (https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-04-19/disney-stops-paying-100000-workers). And I'm saying this as I'm waiting to hear back from my CM (Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique) friend as to whether or not she still has a job.

James122

I feel very much for the cast members affected. Disney blaming Governor Newsome in their statement was very petty though. Like others have said, it seems as if these layoffs would have occurred even if Disneyland had been allowed to open at limited capacity. And they make it seem like the CA government is singling out Disneyland from reopening while allowing other parks to operate, which is not the case.

pheneix

Any inkling of the CA/FL split? @pheneix

I hesitate to say because of the sensitivity of this topic and fear of scaring people more. If you're CMs reading this, I feel for you today. It's a dark day that been on the horizon for a while.

BUT. Disney's P&R does have most of its personnel in Florida. Even office and technical with CA coverage have a home base in Florida. I know many of those personnel already been working in the parks during the reopen. Who knows how the chips fall with those employees.

I think that if you are a full time union employee in Florida, you are *probably* in a better place than salaried and non union ranks. I think a lot of furloughed part time CMs are also on the knife's edge.

Today is a bad day.

Castmbr

Not so fast. Execs are part of the layoffs so we will see who survives the cuts.
We will see for certain..... I bet VP's and above are safe. There will be some directors that will get axed due to not having enough underlings to manage but for the most part they will be just fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom