What did you do?

dreamfinder

So the question is I assume I trust the treadmill more then the Watch? I want to have the most accurate times when training and running for all these events.

Having all this info tonight I will do another run with the same amount of time but this time with 15/30 (my normal pace) and see how it changes things as well as if I should start using 30/30.

Depends. Don't think the Apple watch is known for accuracy when compared to say a Garmin, especially if you are using it on a treadmill, where it's not getting GPS readings.

If you use the same treadmill all the time, then if it is off, it will be off consistently. But if you use different treadmills, then it will vary. The belts on treadmills do slip at times, so even if its the same model and such, the wear and lifespan of the belt & tensioning (I think) can cause it to vary.

If you can use a track that has a marked known distance, and see what the Apple watch says, that will help you to see how accurate it is. Ideally the GPS would be turned off, so that it handles the distance the same as if you were on a treadmill, by doing stride length and such. No idea if you can calibrate them, sometimes you can calibrate things like that.

Personally, it's more of a thing you learn over time. Stick with the same measurement as much as you can. If & when you can do properly measured races, with chip timing, then compare how that works out and go from there.

Surferboy567

Depends. Don't think the Apple watch is known for accuracy when compared to say a Garmin, especially if you are using it on a treadmill, where it's not getting GPS readings.

If you use the same treadmill all the time, then if it is off, it will be off consistently. But if you use different treadmills, then it will vary. The belts on treadmills do slip at times, so even if its the same model and such, the wear and lifespan of the belt & tensioning (I think) can cause it to vary.

If you can use a track that has a marked known distance, and see what the Apple watch says, that will help you to see how accurate it is. Ideally the GPS would be turned off, so that it handles the distance the same as if you were on a treadmill, by doing stride length and such. No idea if you can calibrate them, sometimes you can calibrate things like that.

Personally, it's more of a thing you learn over time. Stick with the same measurement as much as you can. If & when you can do properly measured races, with chip timing, then compare how that works out and go from there.

To answer some of these I use the same treadmill every time. It is worth noting though that treadmill is rather old we have had it for as long as I can remember. Which leads me to trust the Apple Watch a little more. They also seem to be off from each other by around .40 in terms of distance consistently.

Reason I care is because I have so many virtual races coming up, also while not a big deal my pervious 5K times may not be entirely correct. Not off by much but a little.

Surferboy567

I’ve wanted to test this for quite a while but finally got around to this today. As many of you know I use the run walk method.

Normally I go for the 15/30 option when running. Today, I wanted to test two things...what happens when I run at 30/30 in terms of distance run and pacing. Another thing I wanted to test is the difference between treadmill and Apple Watch as I have noticed a difference between the data on treadmill and the data on the watch.

How I plan on testing this is simple record two workouts both 47 mins in length with one warm up for 2 mins at 3.5 speed and a cool down for 5 mins at 3.5 speed.

During the actual run it was 40 sets of 30/30 running at 3.5 (low) and 5.0 (high).

I have just completed my 30/30 run and wanted to record my results.

Apple Watch said:

Distance: 3.51 miles
Time: 47:06
Pace: 13:17 mi

Treadmill said:

Distance: 3.16
Time: 47:07
Pace: 14:55 (pace was calculated with a calculator so don’t have detailed stats like the Apple Watch)

So the question is I assume I trust the treadmill more then the Watch? I want to have the most accurate times when training and running for all these events.

Having all this info tonight I will do another run with the same amount of time but this time with 15/30 (my normal pace) and see how it changes things as well as if I should start using 30/30.
As promised...I did my other run using 15/30.

...had to use 54 intervals, this run felt much longer and I think I was much more tired then the 30/30

Without thinking about it...I kinda erased the treadmill data before recording it.

With only my Apple Watch to go by here are some stats.

Apple Watch said:

Time: 47:33
Distance: 3.36
Pace: 14:07

Using past comparisons the treadmill is normally .35 - .40 behind the watch so...this should be what the treadmill said.

Time: 47:33
Distance: 2.97
Pace: 16:01 (we can’t have that)

It’s impossible to tell what it would of been but probably in that ballpark. I think I am going to stick with 30/30. Or at least try to attempt to train with that.

As for what I am going to use to time my races...I am going to use the Apple Watch data but will keep a close eye on the treadmill and adjust accordingly it doesn’t seem too big of a problem.

The real time is probably somewhere in between.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Come to think of it...is a training thread warranted? Could be helpful for training tips, questions, etc. So many questions come up while training maybe making a thread is better?

Last edited:

Surferboy567

A quick question regarding training:

So the Wine & Dine 10K is on November 7th it will be my first 10K ever. That being said my actual training begins on October 20th (for fairytale challenge). Meaning I’ll be 3 weeks into the plan before I have to run the 10K. My question is if the run is supposed to be 3 miles (it’s a long run) can I just add 3 more miles on to it? I don’t want to change any of the days since I have carefully planned it so that certain races occur on days I need them. I also don’t want to mess up my overall training.

For example, I am using the fairytale challenge plan to also train for the 2021 Star Wars Virtual Half, as well as Oswald.

EDIT: Another thing my 30/30 run walk pace...I assume I have to keep that on my long runs? It states you can go as slow as you want but I am assuming fast enough that you can run?

Swissmiss

Premium Member
A quick question regarding training:

So the Wine & Dine 10K is on November 7th it will be my first 10K ever. That being said my actual training begins on October 20th (for fairytale challenge). Meaning I’ll be 3 weeks into the plan before I have to run the 10K. My question is if the run is supposed to be 3 miles (it’s a long run) can I just add 3 more miles on to it? I don’t want to change any of the days since I have carefully planned it so that certain races occur on days I need them. I also don’t want to mess up my overall training.

For example, I am using the fairytale challenge plan to also train for the 2021 Star Wars Virtual Half, as well as Oswald.

EDIT: Another thing my 30/30 run walk pace...I assume I have to keep that on my long runs? It states you can go as slow as you want but I am assuming fast enough that you can run?

Will 3 miles be the longest you’ve ever run (or 3.1 if it’s a 5K)? Because doubling your mileage without working up to it increases your risk of injury. You may want to think about doing your run/walk for around 4 miles and then just walking for the remaining 2.2.

Surferboy567

Will 3 miles be the longest you’ve ever run (or 3.1 if it’s a 5K)? Because doubling your mileage without working up to it increases your risk of injury. You may want to think about doing your run/walk for around 4 miles and then just walking for the remaining 2.2.
So far, about a 5K is the longest I have run consistently. Definitely don’t want to hurt myself. That isn’t a bad plan doing the run/walk for 4 miles and then walking the rest. I want to run every race like I am on property but it may be a necessary evil to do this for wine and dine so the rest of the races I partake in will have much better results.

Of course, I have some time now, before the training officially starts maybe I could try running more miles? Or maybe it’s a better to just do what you said. I don‘t want to mess up the training.

Surferboy567

After my run tonight, I have decided that I am going to stay at my 15/30 pace. I feel that is much better then 30/30 as I think I get tired too easily and won’t make it though longer distances.

Another thing I miscalculated the pacing and I am actually around 15:00-15:30 a mile with 15/30 the startup dragged me down. So I am going to use this to train and for my runs.

It really does take trial and error to figure out what works.

OG Runner

Another PT session yesterday. The knee does seem to be coming along. I signed up for a Thanksgiving virtual race.
It is funny the race is called the Feaster Five and is held on Thanksgiving. Usually you can run either a 5 miler or a 5K.
The virtual offers a challenge of running both. Unique in that usually the two races are run at the same time. I am
hoping to build up enough to run 8.1 miles that day and do the challenge in one run.

OG Runner

After my run tonight, I have decided that I am going to stay at my 15/30 pace. I feel that is much better then 30/30 as I think I get tired too easily and won’t make it though longer distances.

Another thing I miscalculated the pacing and I am actually around 15:00-15:30 a mile with 15/30 the startup dragged me down. So I am going to use this to train and for my runs.

It really does take trial and error to figure out what works.

I have to congratulate you on using either of those paces. I have done the run/walk before, but the lowest I have done is 3 minute run/
1 minute walk. Shortening the durations more than that messes with my head.

Surferboy567

I have to congratulate you on using either of those paces. I have done the run/walk before, but the lowest I have done is 3 minute run/
Yea it messes with mine also, that is why I use an interval timer app to keep it straight in my head.

I get tired too easily by going further then 15/30 it isn’t sustainable to last long distances if I am going to tire so easily.

EDIT: As long as I can complete the distance, and it’s under 16 mi pace I’ll be good.

Last edited:

OG Runner

Yea it messes with mine also, that is why I use an interval timer app to keep it straight in my head.

I get tired too easily by going further then 15/30 it isn’t sustainable to last long distances if I am going to tire so easily.

EDIT: As long as I can complete the distance, and it’s under 16 mi pace I’ll be good.

That is the point, just stay ahead of the balloon ladies. :D

Surferboy567

I have much better training news today:

Today, I completed my first 5K outside run since last year’s Iron Man 5K. Done many 5K’s inside but only two outside. As discussed many times I used the run walk for the duration of this run. 15/30 pace the entire way though (It also included a 2 min startup walk which was basically just a normally paced walk for 2 mins). The 5 min cool down was recorded in a separate workout to not interfere with the 5K time.

Before getting to the stats couple of things. I am starting to understand what you guys mean by outside running being the way to go. It adds so many more variables and is such a better experience. I had so much of a better time running that in fact I am going to try running outside as much as I can (weather permitting of course). It wasn’t boring as I was actually going somewhere, and not only that but my stats are way better then any official 5K I have done before. I also wasn’t as tired as I am on the treadmill.

On today’s run (data from Apple Watch Outside Run):

Time: 41:48
Distance: 3.11 mi
Avg Pace: 13:26 mi

For the record my last official 5K: the Haunted Mansion 5K was done in 47:29 on a treadmill the difference in time is particularly impressive a whomping 5 mins and 47 seconds.

To add even more news: My last 5K I ran outside (on the same trail) last year when I just started running: the Iron Man 5K was done in 52:18, the 5K done today was done 10 MINUTES and 30 seconds faster!

It appears when running outside I improve much better then on treadmill and that I am running faster then perviously thought. I also trust the Apple Watch more more since it’s an outside run with GPS readings. After this, I think I found the way I am doing the fairytale challenge, training and most of my future races. Of course depending on weather.

I also discovered how great cold weather is when running...usually I am not a fan of the cold but when running the opposite is true.

EDIT: Also I ran in the morning versus at night maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Absolutely agree with you about shorter than a few minutes’ duration. While I do run/walk for distances longer than 10 km, I tend to do it as around 12-13 mins run, 2-3 mins walk (so always in 15 minute blocks)

OG Runner

I have much better training news today:

Today, I completed my first 5K outside run since last year’s Iron Man 5K. Done many 5K’s inside but only two outside. As discussed many times I used the run walk for the duration of this run. 15/30 pace the entire way though (It also included a 2 min startup walk which was basically just a normally paced walk for 2 mins). The 5 min cool down was recorded in a separate workout to not interfere with the 5K time.

Before getting to the stats couple of things. I am starting to understand what you guys mean by outside running being the way to go. It adds so many more variables and is such a better experience. I had so much of a better time running that in fact I am going to try running outside as much as I can (weather permitting of course). It wasn’t boring as I was actually going somewhere, and not only that but my stats are way better then any official 5K I have done before. I also wasn’t as tired as I am on the treadmill.

On today’s run (data from Apple Watch Outside Run):

Time: 41:48
Distance: 3.11 mi
Avg Pace: 13:26 mi

For the record my last official 5K: the Haunted Mansion 5K was done in 47:29 on a treadmill the difference in time is particularly impressive a whomping 5 mins and 47 seconds.

To add even more news: My last 5K I ran outside (on the same trail) last year when I just started running: the Iron Man 5K was done in 52:18, the 5K done today was done 10 MINUTES and 30 seconds faster!

It appears when running outside I improve much better then on treadmill and that I am running faster then perviously thought. I also trust the Apple Watch more more since it’s an outside run with GPS readings. After this, I think I found the way I am doing the fairytale challenge, training and most of my future races. Of course depending on weather.

I also discovered how great cold weather is when running...usually I am not a fan of the cold but when running the opposite is true.

EDIT: Also I ran in the morning versus at night maybe that has something to do with it.

The hamster wheel is often subject to differences in calibration. I have always found my times are faster running outside than
what the machine says my time and distance are.

OG Runner

Hamster wheel? The times coming from outside runs should be more accurate though right?
Yes, I have always felt like I am on a hamster wheel running on a treadmill. The treadmills are subject to proper maintenance
and calibration. Times outside should definitely be more accurate. Congratulation!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom