News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

Brer Oswald

Seems like there would be a thousand other ways to get way more bang-for-the-marketing-buck than an internal training mnemonic.
But if it’s something they were already planning on doing (say for selling to other businesses), it’s about the easiest thing they can do for good PR.

They can’t announce a new ride every time they run into controversy with Covid, or controversy with a new movie, etc.

_caleb

But if it’s something they were already planning on doing (say for selling to other businesses), it’s about the easiest thing they can do for good PR.

They can’t announce a new ride every time they run into controversy with Covid, or controversy with a new movie, etc.
Good point.

This move is not risk-free, but certainly less likely to make huge PR waves than, say, announcing that you're going to retheme a popular and beloved attraction.

I don't think the Disney University folks have much contact with marketing or communications, though. Maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe those teams are raiding the shelves of every department looking for something to promote?

rowrbazzle

But it can lead to bias.
They wouldn’t “call you out” about the children you selected, but they may ask you to explain how you made those decisions. The answer you provided in your post would pretty much show that you were practicing the sort of “inclusion” they’re trying to emphasize by adding this Key.

Some of the training around this Key would likely also include awareness of implicit bias. Disney would want CMs to decide based on inclusive criteria vs. what you might consider to be “random” but really could be influenced by unconscious bias.

Again, the Key is a philosophy that informs policy. They will definitely add more specific guidance than just, “Be inclusive!”
The research on unconscious bias is not nearly as robust or clear as one might think.

Research doesn't support the idea that implicit attitudes can change very much, but even when they do it doesn't change behaviors. Short-term changes also don't seem to lead to long-term changes. These measures don't predict behaviors (subtle or deliberate) well in terms of race, which is the most common measure. And in terms of training, even the pioneer of the Implicit Attribution Test (Tony Greenwald) admits that implicit bias training really doesn't do much.

If this is what Disney is going for, I think they're taking a misguided approach and probably wasting a lot of money in the process.

Jon81uk

Good point.

This move is not risk-free, but certainly less likely to make huge PR waves than, say, announcing that you're going to retheme a popular and beloved attraction.

I don't think the Disney University folks have much contact with marketing or communications, though. Maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe those teams are raiding the shelves of every department looking for something to promote?

But outside of Disney forums and blogs this isn’t being talked about so in terms of a PR or marketing move it’s not going to get far anyway as it’s not going to make national press. They didn’t even put out an official blog post.

_caleb

The research on unconscious bias is not nearly as robust or clear as one might think.

Research doesn't support the idea that implicit attitudes can change very much, but even when they do it doesn't change behaviors. Short-term changes also don't seem to lead to long-term changes. These measures don't predict behaviors (subtle or deliberate) well in terms of race, which is the most common measure. And in terms of training, even the pioneer of the Implicit Attribution Test (Tony Greenwald) admits that implicit bias training really doesn't do much.

If this is what Disney is going for, I think they're taking a misguided approach and probably wasting a lot of money in the process.
I appreciate your engagement in this. Until we have further indication that implicit bias training is indeed the something Disney intends to include in support of the "Inclusion" Key, it's probably best not to debate the subject here just yet.

I will say that because Disney is in the unique position to control both the training for individual CMs AND the systems in which those individuals work (Park policies, systems, and procedures), this sort of training is much more likely to result in positive outcomes.

Tom P.

Love watching a bunch of white, 50 year old men argue about something that has zero affect on them. Your vacations are ruined now, aren't they? Every CM I know (myself included) supports this change.
Turn this around. What if I said "I love watching a bunch of 30 year old black women arguing about something that has zero effect on them"? Would you call me out as racist? If so, then take a look at what you wrote and think about it again.

celluloid

What is the Tokyo model?

Quality, treat customers as guests and coworkers professionally, and at the very least at face value to have service to support the quality product.

It seems to work really well. Better than the company that owns the liscensing can do these days.

celluloid

Seems like there would be a thousand other ways to get way more bang-for-the-marketing-buck than an internal training mnemonic.

Not really, there is a very little investment in this because you do not have to acually to do much. In a time of tight spending, this is the pandering that tends to happen. It is a move that promotes good will internally at low cost that keeps the furloughed or those with a bad taste in their mouth from the layoffs happier.

_caleb

Not really, there is a very little investment in this because you do not have to acually to do much. In a time of tight spending, this is the pandering that tends to happen. It is a move that promotes good will internally at low cost that keeps the furloughed or those with a bad taste in their mouth from the layoffs happier.
Your take may be overlooking the costs included in corporate training and instructional design, but that’s ok

celluloid

Your take may be overlooking the costs included in corporate training and instructional design, but that’s ok

For sure, its not free, but the return on investment vs that cost, if they put the typical minor effort into it. It also justifies Instructional Design and development departments to remain employed or return to work in a time when there is not going to be a lot of new hiring.

You may be overlooking how bad the training at Disney has been shortened and chopped over the years, but that's ok.

Last edited:

AdventureHasAName

I personally think it says a lot about this website. This thread has 5 pages with discussion on why this is a problematic change and how this shouldn’t be included. Other sites it is barely getting talked about and people aren’t batting an eye.

Maybe it is a publicity thing but who cares? It doesn’t impact any of us negatively at all. Getting worked up about this shows maybe you are part of the problem that something like this is trying to address.

Sweet. I love being told by my entertainers that I (the customer) are part of the problem (and need to be addressed).

_caleb

For sure, its not free, but the return on investment vs that cost, if they put the typical minor effort into it. It also justifies Instructional Design and development departments to remain employed or return to work in a time when there is not going to be a lot of new hiring.

You may be overlooking how bad the training at Disney has been shortened and chopped over the years, but that's ok.
That was my point. To spin up some training isn't cheap, but the real expense is the added paid training time for CMs at Traditions (assuming they actually add additional training in support of the new Key). Let's say they add a half day of "Inclusion" training. That's 4 hours on the clock for every CM, + instructors time. Seems like a pretty big investment compared to a social media post saying, "Disney is committed to inclusion!" which would arguably have the same or greater PR effect.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Sweet. I love being told by my entertainers that I (the customer) are part of the problem (and need to be addressed).

If they move from being entertainers (no matter if they are actors, presenters, or professional athletes) to advocates, then they just fall into the howling horde of the masses. Just another opinion with no more weight than any other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom