2021 D23 Expo Moving to 2022/TWDC 100th Anniversary Celebration Announcement

tirian

I disagree, the MCU as a whole is one big saga that has defined movie going for a decade. Don’t think the brand is going anywhere.

That's part of the problem. They're going to keep making new MCU movies and characters like Captain America and Iron Man aren't coming back. Why would someone 15 years from now care about going back to watch old MCU movies that have very little to do with the current MCU? Especially when there are so many. Nobody even cares about half of the MCU films right now when they're still current. It's really just the Avengers movies that have been absolute juggernauts (along with Black Panther and Captain Marvel, which had additional cultural reasons pushing them).

Beyond that, there is a long history of movies that were absolutely massive at the time and then completely disappeared from the public consciousness within 15-20 years. The original three Spider-Man movies were huge successes (and I think the first two were better than the MCU Spider-Man), but nobody really goes back and watches them now. There's a new Spider-Man to watch instead.

Anyways, I'm not saying that I think the MCU itself is going to go away (although it could). I'm saying that fans of the MCU 15 years from now may not care about 25 year old MCU movies that are no longer relevant to the current storylines.
I think you’re both right. In the future, the original MCU saga will probably become a binge-watch for new viewers, but current audiences are probably burnt out.

Probably. ;)

UNCgolf

I think you’re both right. In the future, the original MCU saga will probably become a binge-watch for new viewers, but current audiences are probably burnt out.

Probably. ;)

I think it's more likely that a handful of original MCU films are watched while most are skipped. I could see people watching all the Avengers films, but I doubt many people will be checking out the majority of the run-of-the-mill individual character movies.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they were skipped out entirely just from sheer numbers. It's much easier to watch a trilogy like Lord of the Rings than it is to watch 20+ movies if you want to make sure you aren't missing out on any small details, call backs, etc.

I'm also not sure how many new people are watching the Lord of the Rings films now, although both it and Harry Potter get a boost from being beloved book series that people might read and then check out the movies afterwards.

lazyboy97o

I think it's more likely that a handful of original MCU films are watched while most are skipped. I could see people watching all the Avengers films, but I doubt many people will be checking out the majority of the run-of-the-mill individual character movies.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they were skipped out entirely just from sheer numbers. It's much easier to watch a trilogy like Lord of the Rings than it is to watch 20+ movies if you want to make sure you aren't missing out on any small details, call backs, etc.

I'm also not sure how many new people are watching the Lord of the Rings films now, although both it and Harry Potter get a boost from being beloved book series that people might read and then check out the movies afterwards.
Please, nobody is watch the Harry Potter movies anymore when we have Fantastic Beasts and Where Not to Find an Engaging Plot.

Surferboy567

This is very possible. Even so, the Guardians films are pretty important to the overall narrative. They introduced Thanos, most of the guardians are important characters, and important concepts are introduced.

Not saying they won’t be skipped but they are pretty important to the overall narrative.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Judging from forums, I think fans have forgotten that’s primarily how Disney handled DL’s 50th anniversary too. They refurbished all the attractions and façades that had rotted for a decade.

Ironically, WDW received the majority of new rides and shows during DL’s 50th.
They didn’t receive much...Everest, soarin and the car show.

People tend to think that’s alot...but forget you have do divide all additions by 4 and then look at the time lapse in Florida. Rate of reinvestment was so bad that even a flurry 2015-present gets them slight below back to square.

UNCgolf

To reach a wider audience?

I'm pretty sure that's not their goal. It's supposed to be an exclusive event for big fans, hence why they're able to make a lot of money selling tickets and exclusive merchandise. Broadcast it digitally and the demand for those things (well, the tickets at least) declines.

Brer Oswald

I'm pretty sure that's not their goal. It's supposed to be an exclusive event for big fans, hence why they're able to make a lot of money selling tickets and exclusive merchandise. Broadcast it digitally and the demand for those things (well, the tickets at least) declines.
It clearly isn’t their goal. I’m just suggesting a better strategy for advertising. No reason why they can’t have an expo every two years and a digital presentation every year. People sneak phones in every time, so why not?

doctornick

To your last point, couldn't you just as easily point out that the Marvel films "get a boost" from a long history of published comic books that people might read - either current issues or back issues that are easily find in libraries as compiled graphic novels - or even the numerous "based on" books that are floating around? Or plenty of other media (e.g. various cartoons) based on the same characters. If the Marvel movies spark someone's interest, there plenty of related material they could engage in enjoying.

As to your main point, IMHO it just seems to be another way to underestimate the MCU as people have constantly done all along. I have no idea what the future holds, but I think the MCU films in general are entertaining, easy to watch movies. They are the type of movie that people will be flipping through channels and just stop on because they are fun just like many "summer blockbuster" type movies. (Now, with the rise of streaming and fewer people having linear TV, that specific phenomena may not happen as much but some similar thing will exist and Disney+ has an ever increasing subscription rate)

And I think these characters -- and the specific MCU version of them -- have achieved a certain cultural zeitgeist as to be well regarded and know for a long time. I don't really think there is much to fear abut n olonger being know or popular any time soon.

doctornick

Interesting, but not surprising. If they were to hold the Expo next year, I’m sure the parks panel would’ve had barely anything to it, besides more details on the PatF retheme to Splash, and maybe some other information on the 50th. 2022 even seems a bit early for big park announcements, but I’m sure there will be plenty else going on besides parks announcement anyways.
I know this is a park centric message board, but it is worth remembering that D23 is for the entire company - and the Parks only make up a part of the whole. I know many of us look forward to the big Parks presentation. And while the parks often announce things that are coming down the line, other divisions like the films and TV tend to having more imminent features. And with COVID-19, a lot of that stuff has been delayed or sidelined, so it perhaps there is a thought that they wouldn't have enough ready to promote next summer.

As an aside, when it comes to the Parks division, one other thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the cruise line -- I wonder when they will announce details of the new ships and Lighthouse Point to really re-promote that line of business, especially if it is still suppressed in the aftermath of COVID-19.

UNCgolf

To your last point, couldn't you just as easily point out that the Marvel films "get a boost" from a long history of published comic books that people might read - either current issues or back issues that are easily find in libraries as compiled graphic novels - or even the numerous "based on" books that are floating around? Or plenty of other media (e.g. various cartoons) based on the same characters. If the Marvel movies spark someone's interest, there plenty of related material they could engage in enjoying.

As to your main point, IMHO it just seems to be another way to underestimate the MCU as people have constantly done all along. I have no idea what the future holds, but I think the MCU films in general are entertaining, easy to watch movies. They are the type of movie that people will be flipping through channels and just stop on because they are fun just like many "summer blockbuster" type movies. (Now, with the rise of streaming and fewer people having linear TV, that specific phenomena may not happen as much but some similar thing will exist and Disney+ has an ever increasing subscription rate)

And I think these characters -- and the specific MCU version of them -- have achieved a certain cultural zeitgeist as to be well regarded and know for a long time. I don't really think there is much to fear abut n olonger being know or popular any time soon.

Not really, because comic books have a tiny percentage of the readership levels of Harry Potter (which I think is the highest selling book series in history). Additionally, Harry Potter (and Lord of the Rings) is a finished story with a beginning and end. Comics continue on indefinitely with continual reboots, resets, etc. so there's really no particular place to start or stop. In any case, I was really talking about the reverse -- that some people read HP or LOTR and are then directed towards the movies. It's especially helpful in HP, because the early books are written for elementary school aged readers and so it's easy to get them hooked early as a way to encourage reading. That's happened with all of my nieces and nephews, as well as several younger cousins.

In my experience (and it could certainly be wrong) the MCU doesn't have the level of hardcore fandom that something like Harry Potter does. There are tons of people who enjoy the MCU, but a much smaller percentage of them are totally engrossed in it compared to the percentage of HP fans totally engrossed in that series, and I think it's because the MCU isn't fundamentally escapist the way something like HP is for a number of reasons. There seems to be a much higher level of casual fandom. People absolutely freaked out over the ability to go to Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley because they got to enter that universe in an escapist way. Something like the Avengers campus doesn't have anywhere near that level of excitement, and again, I think a big part of that is the lack of (or at least lesser amount of) escapism.

I don't think I'm underestimating the MCU. I'm a big fan of it, as I said. I've seen almost all the movies and have seen most of them multiple times. My issue is really that even for the biggest properties, maintaining that level of interest for the long haul is exceptionally difficult and exceedingly rare. Just on simple statistics, the MCU is far more likely than not to lose relevance -- and I do mean the MCU specifically, as in the MCU incarnations of these characters. Not Captain America as a whole, but the specific Chris Evans Captain America.

As just one random example, the Back to the Future trilogy was massive in the 80s and are one of the highest grossing trilogies ever. Back to the Future made more money (inflation adjusted) than all but 4 MCU films. Ask anyone under the age of 30 if they've seen any of those movies and you're going to get an overwhelming amount of nos. Things just don't maintain the cultural relevance you'd expect and it's hard to see that in the moment. It's not a knock on the MCU; it's just a cultural reality.

I could be completely wrong, and we obviously have no way to know until the time has actually passed. It's just that if I was placing a bet, the odds would probably be in my favor.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom