2021 D23 Expo Moving to 2022/TWDC 100th Anniversary Celebration Announcement

Surferboy567

Even worse is if it closes. It’ll sit empty forever, and then Disney will make up excuses like “no one knows who Figment is” (in this case since Dreamfinder has already been missing for years now) so we will demolish imagination to build wakanda. Something along those lines...
Losing imagination as a theme is awful...but anything is probably better then what we have now.

Homemade Imagineering

Losing imagination as a theme is awful...but anything is probably better then what we have now.
Agreed. I however would be furious if something completely irrelevant to the imagination theme was placed there. I feel like we haven’t won back the proper imagination attraction yet, so I keep on hoping, but oh boy will I be devastated if they replace it with something like Wakanda. I don’t care how long it takes, just don’t ditch the Imagination theme.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I disagree...at some point your IP infusion becomes “old” all at once. That’s the danger of it.

The “slam dunk” IP overlay for imagination was what? Inside out.

Say they do the coco thing for Mexico...Latin infusion makes sense.

Neither of those are bad properties. But picture 10-15 years down the road....and your slate in Epcot is:

Ratatouille
Guardians
Frozen
Inside out
Coco
Moana thing.

It’s certainly possible that NONE of those have staying power. Very possible. All popular movies...but staying power? I don’t know about that. The park could be decrepit.

Homemade Imagineering

I disagree...at some point your IP infusion becomes “old” all at once. That’s the danger of it.

Neither of those are bad properties. But picture 10-15 years down the road....and your slate in Epcot is:

Ratatouille
Guardians
Frozen
Inside out
Coco
Moana thing.

It’s certainly possible that NONE of those have staying power. Very possible. All popular movies...but staying power? I don’t know about that. The park could be decrepit.
I completely agree with you there. There is hope however for Imagination. First off, almost every past proposal has included Figment in some form or another according to insiders on this forum, with the exception of the Inside out replacement, which seems to be completely dead at this point, especially after Pete Doctor rejected the plans because he wants to see Figment stay. Also, Figment sells like crazy, and is also projected to be included within the Play pavilion, based on that sneak peak VR Figment redesign project we had a glimpse at a few weeks back.

oceanbreeze77

That was the last one in Florida. It was if I recall 2005-2007...but the planning/authorization was at least a couple of years before. Under evil Michael according to the dates.
Disneyland Year of a million dreams was designer. WDW year of a million dreams was a cheap knockoff you get on the streets.

*But keep in mind Disneylands was a continuation of the 50th, Which made it so iconic.

I'm sad you guys won't get your "Happiest Homecoming on Earth." It really captured the Disney magic for so many people.

Surferboy567

Ratatouille
Guardians
Frozen
Inside out
Coco
Moana thing.

Never even thought about IP...just saying that a lot of other ideas is better then what we have. I love figment as much as the next person really want him to get the attention he deserves.

Not against IP either though...doesn’t have to be applied here.

UNCgolf

Ratatouille
Guardians
Frozen
Inside out
Coco
Moana thing.

I don't think any of the Marvel movies are going to have staying power, and I say that as someone who has seen almost all of them (never saw the Hulk and haven't seen the most recent Spiderman, but pretty sure I've seen all the others) -- and who also thinks the Guardians movies are among the cream of the crop. The MCU is full of entertaining movies, but there are a ton of them and of course there's new stuff coming all the time. I will be very surprised if people 10-15 years from now are going back to watch the old MCU films.

That won't matter if Guardians is a great ride, of course, but Disney doesn't have a great recent track record of rides that really work without knowledge of/interest in the IP.

UNCgolf

Understandable, but disappointing that they are so resistant to moving to digital presentations. I guess the Disney execs aren’t personable enough to act on camera, à la Nintendo. Well, maybe D’Amaro is.

Why would they want to do that? They sell tickets and a bunch of exclusive merchandise; it's a way to make more money.

Surferboy567

I don't think any of the Marvel movies are going to have staying power, and I say that as someone who has seen almost all of them (never saw the Hulk and haven't seen the most recent Spiderman, but pretty sure I've seen all the others) -- and who also thinks the Guardians movies are among the cream of the crop. The MCU is full of entertaining movies, but there are a ton of them and of course there's new stuff coming all the time. I will be very surprised if people 10-15 years from now are going back to watch the old MCU films.
I disagree, the MCU as a whole is one big saga that has defined movie going for a decade. Don’t think the brand is going anywhere.

UNCgolf

I disagree, the MCU as a whole is one big saga that has defined movie going for a decade. Don’t think the brand is going anywhere.

That's part of the problem. They're going to keep making new MCU movies and characters like Captain America and Iron Man aren't coming back. Why would someone 15 years from now care about going back to watch old MCU movies that have very little to do with the current MCU? Especially when there are so many. Nobody even cares about half of the MCU films right now when they're still current. It's really just the Avengers movies that have been absolute juggernauts (along with Black Panther and Captain Marvel, which had additional cultural reasons pushing them).

Beyond that, there is a long history of movies that were absolutely massive at the time and then completely disappeared from the public consciousness within 15-20 years. The original three (or at least the first two) Spider-Man movies were huge successes (and I think the first two were better than the MCU Spider-Man), but nobody really goes back and watches them now. There's a new Spider-Man to watch instead.

Anyways, I'm not saying that I think the MCU itself is going to go away (although it could). I'm saying that fans of the MCU 15 years from now may not care about 25 year old MCU movies that are no longer relevant to the current storylines.

Last edited:

tirian

You know exactly: there aren’t any.

In recession mode, Disney will not be doing capex

And it’s time to really dial back on this “for the 50th” stuff.

I have watched people - mostly from the sidelines - whip themselves into a frenzy for 5 years about this already.

There was NEVER any concrete evidence that Disney wasn’t looking to roll out a new slate of things beyond the needed capex we have seen already under construction for the last 5-8 years “for the 50th”.
Judging from forums, I think fans have forgotten that’s primarily how Disney handled DL’s 50th anniversary too. They refurbished all the attractions and façades that had rotted for a decade.

Ironically, WDW received the majority of new rides and shows during DL’s 50th.

Surferboy567

The original three Spider-Man movies were huge successes (and I think the first two were better than the MCU Spider-Man), but nobody really goes back and watches them now. There's a new Spider-Man to watch instead.
The first live action spider-man I still feel is talked about quite often. I can see your argument, but I think the movies will still be watched. Take other franchises for example doesn’t matter which Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the rings etc. The first couple of movies in those franchises are still in the public consciousness in certain cases they are classics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom