working out for Disney

Songbird76

That's just awful! I imagine a lot of people gave up on band considering those circumstances. It's crazy to think I gave it up just because I hated playing clarinet. After reading this, I have no place griping about anything in any of our music programs. Well, I'm glad you still got a flute out of it and can play when you choose.
Yeah, our school was really really messed up. Part of the problem is that in our district, it was our town and the closest town to us, which was 40 miles away and MUCH bigger. Our town population was about 1500, where the other town was about 10 times that. Most of the money went to them, because "it benefitted more people". So, for example, a teacher who lived in Gillette, but taught in Wright got paid gas milage, but a teacher who lived in Wright and taught in Gillette didn't, because "it's their choice to live in Wright." Wright was less desirable, being so small and not having all the amenities like a movie theater, bowling alley, fast food restaurants, etc. Gillette got the best teachers and we got whomever was left over. Gillette schools all had auditoriums and multiple gymnasiums and an all weather track. We used the cafeteria or the gym for concerts and dances, used gyms at the elementary school and the rec center for our sports teams, and had a shale track, because they ripped out the asphalt to lay the foundation for an all-weather track, but then Gillette said their track was old and they wanted a new one, so they put the new one in Gillette instead, but they had already ripped our asphalt one up, so they just left it like that.

Our principal was almost definitely skimming money (I was treasurer of my class and wasn't allowed to look at the books. He told us we were $26 in the hole and showed one page of the books that made no sense. My mom went to the school, he hid, she talked to the secretary, who called the head office and they found some glaring mistakes that no one understood how they missed. When she left, we had over $2000 in our account to pay for prom. He had 2 sets of books.) and he really wanted to get rid of the arts programs altogether. For some reason he seemed to have a vendetta against my family. He and the school counselor tried to rig the grades to keep me from getting the Tuition and fees scholarship from the University of Wyoming. It went to the top 2 students each year, and I was number 2. Then the counselor gave me incorrect dates for other scholarship applications so I would miss the deadlines, and badmouthed me to organizations that wanted to give me their scholarships, saying I hadn't gone through his special screening process, because I turned the applications in to the correct place instead of to turning them in to him. He wasn't sending in all the applications turned in to him...only those he wanted to get the scholarships. By turning mine in directly to the organizations, I assured they actually GOT my application. So when they would call wanting to offer me the scholarship, he would tell them I didn't deserve it, or that I already had enough scholarships and wasn't allowed to accept any more. (I know all of this because our friend was his secretary and she called when there was a deadline if my application wasn't in the bunch, and she overheard him telling Walmart that I didn't deserve their scholarship because I didn't go through his screening. And then the local DARE officer told me that the counselor had told him he couldn't award me their scholarship. They did it anyway.) But 2nd quarter, there was a "computer glitch" that messed up the GPAs....well, only 2 GPAs. It switched mine and the #3. That was the only thing messed up. It was caught and fixed....and that was the quarter that decided who got the scholarship, so I got it. Then the next quarter, the #3 somehow magically passed me I had better grades. Those never got fixed and they had no explanation....like, why I got a C in calculus when I had As on all the homework and a B on my test. That was the quarter that they chose Valedictorian and Salutatorian....they didn't want to give me that honor, so they fixed the grades. The Val and Sal went to the principal and asked to make me a co with them because they thought I deserved it. He refused even though the year before he had wanted anyone with a certain GPA to be a co-salutatorian, but the parents wouldn't go for it. He took a different job the year after I graduated...I wish he had left just one year sooner. But that's how our district administration was...all corrupt and incompetent.

Sorry.....that was really long. But all that to say the band thing was only the tip of the ice berg.

Songbird76

Hello-

I am ok. We just got back from Virginia Beach last night. I had some stuff happen here, including a post-tropical storm raw sewage explosion in my ground floor bathroom and some drama with my mother and my grandmother (that is just about sorted out now).

I'll be back later. :)
Well that sounds less than fun! I'm so sorry!! I hope you get everything sorted soon. I don't know about you all, but I could do with a little less excitement this year. I'm ok with boring for a while.

epcotisbest

Have we heard from @Sans Souci lately? Has she checked in with anyone? I see @epcotisbest now and then on the chit chat thread, but I haven't seen @Sans Souci outside of this thread.

I have not been doing much walking or exercising much lately except for the well worn path between the fridge and recliner. No real excuse for that. Still read this thread regularly but have not had much to contribute.
I will say my wife is on a business trip again and we neither one are very comfortable with business travel yet. Best she can do is try to be safe, social distance and wash hands often.
She did get a nice upgrade to a river view room at her hotel when she checked in today, and sent me this photo from the room.
It was raining there and the Hyatt Regency does not have self parking, only valet. She typically parks at a city parking garage a couple of blocks away but she did not want to get soaked getting back to the room, so she went ahead and did valet today. $30 per day plus tip. We don't much like to valet park anymore after the valet at another Savannah hotel wrecked her last car a while back.
Yes, they paid for it, but what a hassle with rental car, body shop repair, etc..
She would probably lose it if someone crunched her Avalon. The Camry was getting old, but the Avalon still smells new.
Still, nice river view for this trip.

Savannah.JPG

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well what the student wants should be a deal breaker. You can encourage a student to choose something else, but if they really have their heart set on a particular instrument, their heart might not be in it if you force something else on them, and it can ruin the experience for them and they give up completely. I never taught band. My emphasis was vocal, being a singer myself, and while we had to learn the basics of every instrument, and had to learn to arrange music for band and orchestra and to direct for them, I wouldn't have been likely to take a band job because I wouldn't have felt like I was as effective and competent with it. I taught Elementary general music and preferred that. But I do remember some of those tips we learned in our pedagogy classes! Do the kids get no choice where you are?

But I definitely defer to @MouseDreaming because she has more experience with the brass instruments than I do. I did ok with Trumpet, but I was terrible at Horn and Trombone, and I hated Euphonium. And we had one semester to learn the basics of each brass instrument, so only a couple of weeks on each. My limited experience is not sufficient to give any specific advice.
At least your teacher didn't give all 3 of the kids of a certain racial stereotype a violin:cautious:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello-

I am ok. We just got back from Virginia Beach last night. I had some stuff happen here, including a post-tropical storm raw sewage explosion in my ground floor bathroom and some drama with my mother and my grandmother (that is just about sorted out now).

I'll be back later. :)
Welcome back and I hope you get a lot of boring days in your future

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I get to ease back in SLOWLY starting this week while wearing an ace bandage. Yea I get 15 minutes of yoga with modifications and 15 minutes of very low impact aerobics a day. I'm a bit miffed that walking outside is still out, uneven surfaces and all:(:( I already did my practice:joyfull: The good news is all I have left to can this year are some peppers and onions and applesauce and apple butter

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm so sorry that happened to you. But look at the racial demographics of Wright, Wyoming. It wouldn't really have been possible for her to do that.
Thanks! he did check with the parents first to see of they thought it would be a good fit. I wanted the flute, one kid wanted drums and one a tuba. I almost can see why the other 2 sets of parents thought a violin was better. I said almost. I hate to say it he was a good teacher, I did play for 4 years even taking private lessons for a short while and he got me into a high school class while I was in middle school over the summer to knock out my music requirement. All that and it didn't help I never got very good

epcotisbest

I get to ease back in SLOWLY starting this week while wearing an ace bandage. Yea I get 15 minutes of yoga with modifications and 15 minutes of very low impact aerobics a day. I'm a bit miffed that walking outside is still out, uneven surfaces and all:(:( I already did my practice:joyfull: The good news is all I have left to can this year are some peppers and onions and applesauce and apple butter

You have people you don't even know quietly praying for your full recovery, people who are certain you will be back outside trekking all over those uneven surfaces, and showing us how it is done, soon. 🏃‍♀️

HouCuseChickie

I really need to find some energy so I can get back into some kind of routine. I saw a dr last week for some issues that have been keeping me down. He was concerned about the lab results, so I went in for a couple of CT scans today. Next week, he'll review the scans and do an exploratory procedure. He said it's probably nothing and his line of questioning coupled with some of the meds my other dr put me on for everything with my stress and anxiety have me thinking he's leaning towards a stress based cause for this as well that's partly tied to diet and exercise. Fingers crossed that's all it is, because there's already too much stress. Work is a nightmare, my free time has been drastically cut due to work and timing/location of kid activities/school, and we had some serious issues with the older one's private softball team.

On a funny note...right after they got me set on the table and placed my IV for the dye required with some of my scans, my phone alarm went off to tell me to take my pill. They offered to get me my phone, but I was afraid I'd mess up my IV and position if I was fooling around with trying to turn off the alarm. So, we heard the same Britney Spears song nearly 5x in a row while we finished up my scans.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I really need to find some energy so I can get back into some kind of routine. I saw a dr last week for some issues that have been keeping me down. He was concerned about the lab results, so I went in for a couple of CT scans today. Next week, he'll review the scans and do an exploratory procedure. He said it's probably nothing and his line of questioning coupled with some of the meds my other dr put me on for everything with my stress and anxiety have me thinking he's leaning towards a stress based cause for this as well that's partly tied to diet and exercise. Fingers crossed that's all it is, because there's already too much stress. Work is a nightmare, my free time has been drastically cut due to work and timing/location of kid activities/school, and we had some serious issues with the older one's private softball team.

On a funny note...right after they got me set on the table and placed my IV for the dye required with some of my scans, my phone alarm went off to tell me to take my pill. They offered to get me my phone, but I was afraid I'd mess up my IV and position if I was fooling around with trying to turn off the alarm. So, we heard the same Britney Spears song nearly 5x in a row while we finished up my scans.
I hope it's just a stress problem, sending prayers and pixie dust xoxo

Songbird76

I hope it's just stress. I saw a thing that said a lot of people aren't functioning fully right now because we have all the normal every day stress we've always had, and also all the Covid19 stress...am I going to lose my job, what happens if I get sick, what about my kids, are my kids getting the education they need and deserve, money issues....it's a lot.

They just announced new restrictions here again. Bars and restaurants limiting capacity further, closing earlier, no more than 3 guests outside the household at your home, not more than 4 people in a group going to the movie theater or a restaurtant, restaurants and contact services must require you to leave contact info, masks advised, etc. Our cases have exploded here. It's not surprising everyone is stressed out. So we'll hope that's it and you'll be better soon.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Hopefully, your doctor can get to the bottom of all this. My own (non-medical expert) reaction after reading the above is that maybe you just need some rest. You're dealing with many things at the same time, which sounds exhausting to me. If you get some additional rest, maybe then you might regain some energy.

HouCuseChickie

I hope it's just stress. I saw a thing that said a lot of people aren't functioning fully right now because we have all the normal every day stress we've always had, and also all the Covid19 stress...am I going to lose my job, what happens if I get sick, what about my kids, are my kids getting the education they need and deserve, money issues....it's a lot.

They just announced new restrictions here again. Bars and restaurants limiting capacity further, closing earlier, no more than 3 guests outside the household at your home, not more than 4 people in a group going to the movie theater or a restaurtant, restaurants and contact services must require you to leave contact info, masks advised, etc. Our cases have exploded here. It's not surprising everyone is stressed out. So we'll hope that's it and you'll be better soon.

Me too. I'm definitely not functioning normally due to Covid matters, but after doing some weight gain mapping, I also see a pattern with work. Whenever work gets bad, my weight goes up and I have health issues. I hope that's all this is, but I still need to find a solution to the stress reaction if that's it, because work is still a big thing and I can't keep playing this game of my job being the big culprit for poor health issues. Our entire team feels this way, but none of us feel like there's anything we can do that will help. It's the nature of the business.

We're coming down from our summer surge. The media is reporting that our state is starting to spike again, but the local and overall state numbers don't reflect that and our school board recently blasted local officials for failing to differentiate between new cases vs. backlogs and ultimately trying to push the city into lockdown based on faulty data. That's not to say that the threat still isn't out there, but it turns out that the huge daily numbers they'd been reporting for our area were including 30+ day backlogs and only about 20% of those cases (within the last month or so) were current within the week of reporting. This was what prompted our district to move to 5 days a week in person for all students enrolled for face to face learning. Our governor recently allowed us to go back to 75% capacity at places like restaurants and retail, but bars are still closed and masks are still mandated (although, compliance is declining). I hope things don't get too bad where you are. I think we're all tired of this Covid madness. I know the virus doesn't care, but we all need a break.

HouCuseChickie

Hopefully, your doctor can get to the bottom of all this. My own (non-medical expert) reaction after reading the above is that maybe you just need some rest. You're dealing with many things at the same time, which sounds exhausting to me. If you get some additional rest, maybe then you might regain some energy.

I'm hoping the dr can figure it out, but at the very least, I'm sure the stress is making things worse. Our bathroom remodel is almost done and the new jetted tub is usable, so I may have to set aside some time to relax with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom