Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

93boomer

Premium Member
Before I share our ice cream saga, I want to comment on three things I saw in the park today that made me go.....

View attachment 500619

All involved women.

First was a gal wearing one of those “bling” Cinderella Castle tank tops....backwards.

Second was a young adult with an “ample booty” who was attired in leggings which simulated a thong bikini. She was with HER PARENTS. At a FAMILY THEME PARK.

Lastly was the middle-aged woman who was soaping up both her arms....from wrists to shoulders....over a restroom sink.

To be honest, the ice cream saga included a non-mask-compliant hillbilly woman but reliving the incident is making my blood pressure spike so I am not going to “go there.”

Anyhoo, Em and I left the cool comfort of the gift shop for the sticky hot outdoor queue of Storybook Treats.

View attachment 500613

View attachment 500614

It would be the longest wait of the day. Nearly a half hour elapsed from the time we entered the line until I brought the ice cream to the table Em had scored in the interim.

Why the delay? Perhaps because Storybook Treats had only ONE cast member ~ working both the register and ice cream machine.

Eating is HARD at WDW.

View attachment 500615

The ice cream tasted divine.

We decided to return to our villa for an afternoon break. Look who we saw on Main Street.

View attachment 500616

Merida was back on her horse!

View attachment 500617

While waiting for our last private bus ride of the trip I took another Daisy picture for Tuvalette.

View attachment 500618

Em chose to take a nap while I ventured out for a final swim in the Boulder Ridge pool. She made the better choice...the pool was crazy crowded! I didn’t stay long.
100% agree. Eating never used to be so hard!😩

Songbird76

Saturday, con’t

View attachment 500472

Em and I approached the entrance to Peter Pan just in time to witness the following ~
Mom, Dad and a young girl stepped up to the FP tapstile.
Mom attempted to scan what appeared to be a hard admission ticket.
CM: “I’m sorry there’s no Fastpass now.”
Mom (grumbling): “Well that was a waste of money!!”

So. Many. Questions! 🤔 😆

The real irony is the family walked away in a huff instead of just joining the posted 10 minute standby line. Although maybe they knew something we didn’t, as we got stuck in the children’s bedroom while the pirate ships were sanitized.

View attachment 500473

Calling @Loco_driver and @sheriffwoody.....

View attachment 500474

....Em and I are waiting for ya!

View attachment 500475

View attachment 500476

We even saved you a bench....whoops!

View attachment 500477
Are there scalpers at Disney now, selling black market fast passes to naive guests who have done no research?

Tony the Tigger

we got stuck in the children’s bedroom while the pirate ships were sanitized.
Just curious: is the wait for that to get done more like waiting for a train to go by, or more like waiting for Epcot renovations?

To be honest, the ice cream saga included a non-mask-compliant hillbilly woman but reliving the incident is making my blood pressure spike so I am not going to “go there.”
Are you really going to do that to me? This sounds like a good part!

Stay tuned for the post-TR: "Behind The 'Lu." (Is that where you took her and gave her what for?!)

dizfan917

2 of our greatest joys at MK the week of Labor day was a SIX MINUTE wait for Peter Pan (posted at 40) and an EIGHT MINUTE wait for Splash Mountain (posted at 45). Basically just the time it took to walk the queue... We didn't even attempt the Mine Train cuz we actually believed the 60 minute posted wait time both days that we visited.

Sorry about the ice cream incident...but I'm a little curious as well. :geek: oh, those hillbillies.

lindawdw

It sounds like a really fun day at MK even with the incidents of inconsiderate people. :rolleyes: I can't get over how many attractions you were able to get on in your time there! We stopped going to Pecos Bill years ago because we seem to always experience unruly kids in there and the acoustics are such that the sounds reverberates and you walk out with a headache! Looking forward to hearing about your night.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The parents names are Samuel and Samantha. Just a hunch😉
You have no idea how close I came to saying, And Sam did nothing! :joyfull:

MSD is weird. I’m good on any rollercoaster but I will never do Impressions de France again. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I have to look straight ahead while watching Impressions de France otherwise.... :depressed:

Are there scalpers at Disney now, selling black market fast passes to naive guests who have done no research?
It appears so, doesn't it??!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just curious: is the wait for that to get done more like waiting for a train to go by, or more like waiting for Epcot renovations?
Waiting for a (long) train to go by. 5-7 minutes usually.

Thanks for the shoutout during you country bear pictures. I do miss my friends and family there tremendously. I’m looking forward to the day when you can really save a spot for me and we can clap our hands and stomp our feet together!

looney tunes GIF
That. Would. Be. Awesome. ONE DAY!!

2 of our greatest joys at MK the week of Labor day was a SIX MINUTE wait for Peter Pan (posted at 40) and an EIGHT MINUTE wait for Splash Mountain (posted at 45). Basically just the time it took to walk the queue... We didn't even attempt the Mine Train cuz we actually believed the 60 minute posted wait time both days that we visited.
Like you we found the posted wait time much less than actual wait time. <High Five!>

It sounds like a really fun day at MK even with the incidents of inconsiderate people. :rolleyes: I can't get over how many attractions you were able to get on in your time there! We stopped going to Pecos Bill years ago because we seem to always experience unruly kids in there and the acoustics are such that the sounds reverberates and you walk out with a headache! Looking forward to hearing about your night.
Em and I were commandos that day for sure. Night-capades coming up!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

Em and I were back in the park by 5 pm. It was the most crowded we’d seen all week. Wait times on the app were high but we had time to kill before our dinner ADR. Em experimented with a few black & white shots of Main Street.

47858E8F-E551-4735-815A-4FDB1F675F7D.jpeg

872A641B-B9BD-4BE4-BE56-AF1B997C8E41.jpeg

We took a stroll and saw your friends, @Loco_driver.

E215CE17-6A53-48BF-A802-C57F1C647A61.jpeg

This was the only place devoid of people.

5DAF0761-63C1-476B-B00C-5750B2BB15AC.jpeg

“Let’s each pick one attraction before dinner,” I suggested to Em.

This was her choice. One final wave.

FB13AEC8-AF29-428D-B42A-1053BAD89D12.jpeg

How could I select anything else, @tonystark? 😁

833C71C6-D91A-495C-8945-A4217E335E58.jpeg

I think I might have nailed it but the flash conceals my left eye.

C826C9DF-BCC7-401E-A1C8-CF07528C7F19.jpeg

93boomer

Premium Member
Saturday, con’t

Em and I were back in the park by 5 pm. It was the most crowded we’d seen all week. Wait times on the app were high but we had time to kill before our dinner ADR. Em experimented with a few black & white shots of Main Street.

View attachment 501134

View attachment 501135

We took a stroll and saw your friends, @Loco_driver.

View attachment 501136

This was the only place devoid of people.

View attachment 501137

“Let’s each pick one attraction before dinner,” I suggested to Em.

This was her choice. One final wave.

View attachment 501138

How could I select anything else, @tonystark? 😁

View attachment 501139

I think I might have nailed it but the flash conceals my left eye.

View attachment 501140
Ooo I like those blk and white shots!!!!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We kept our dinner expectations in check. Tony’s had never been a stand-out but we wanted table service for our last meal and our options were very limited. (Not gonna make you say it again @Darstarr. 😉)

E81E4D9A-E7CE-4E5E-98A6-56A093E6F292.jpeg

It is a pretty restaurant though.

FFA20BE0-2BC4-48C4-AAA6-65919D4E9676.jpeg

0473CB62-8083-4C00-A4B2-455E7A14E966.jpeg

Wait a minute ~ Is that woman preparing to shoot a spitball?? Perhaps she’s trying to get even with whoever shot a spitball at her husband?

Our waiter had zero personality. He took our order and brought our food and that was the extent of his “service.”

The bread service paled in comparison to what is served at Mama Melrose. Didn’t prevent us from eating it all, however.

C97B2A68-CC04-4559-829B-56E9E7109F55.jpeg

Our entrées were standard Italian fare. Spaghetti and meatballs for Em, Chicken Parm for me. Definitely overpriced for the quality.

15D217E5-D4B9-455F-B93D-E44679D7BB21.jpeg

8D207D96-6CFD-4E06-A820-138ED18F224F.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The park was closing as we left Tony’s. One last peek at the Castle and a final selfie before heading out.

95EB6A85-FA95-4CB5-8D1A-B230A142A61E.jpeg

A59C810F-E270-4920-815A-791CEB4D9FB3.jpeg

Similar to this morning, there were a lot of characters waving from atop the train station. Only this time it was goodbye. :arghh:

No pictures. Too painful.

The bus had not been kind to us the past two nights. We hoped the ferry would be a better experience.

AE5A49FD-5BDC-4528-A4AB-4C9BFE628821.jpeg

AAB417AC-DFFE-48C9-A4AA-D72BA9BC7B1D.jpeg

See all these people? They got to board the incoming ferry.

12D7315D-875F-4654-B58C-5B9B0912880E.jpeg

Em and I did not. :arghh:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The next boat did not arrive for 25 minutes!!

Time to go home, Em. Our #ShirleyStatus transportation has ended.

Meanwhile there were three ferries in use between MK and the TTC.

E15E965D-6F6C-418F-A53C-A36128CB5424.jpeg

But there was an upside to being cut off from boarding ferry #1.

We got first choice of seats when boarding ferry #2. And we chose the bow!

2E0CF1EF-A6B2-450F-A986-65BCC91C5211.jpeg

We were treated to a lovely, breezy, sunset cruise.

3DD93BED-1733-4E48-B9C1-364DD41C1390.jpeg

Until we meet again, MK!

BA45CFB9-C4B5-4448-803E-BF2EA856297E.jpeg

FEABA641-939B-4EF3-91BF-731DB337ECA5.jpeg

C3799677-1BB3-4FAF-8D4E-CB92F8FA30B2.jpeg

We were in the mood for a sweet treat and popped into Roaring Fork.

We walked right up to the bakery case and took out a cupcake.

Walked over to the register and paid in cash.

No mobile order Nazis. Woo Hoo!

We shared the Campfire cupcake in our villa.
57EA4152-4257-4953-82BC-03525653455B.jpeg

The sugar rush did not overcome our “last night blues.” As Em and I were packing, I had an epiphany. But I wanted to run it by Woody so I gave him a quick call. Not surprisingly, he was supportive.

“What if we didn’t leave at dawn tomorrow?” I asked Em.

“I’m listening,” she grinned.

Though we couldn’t extend our vacation another night, we could extend it a few more hours. I secured a park reservation and we went to sleep not-so-sad, knowing a little more vacation fun awaited us in the morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom