News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

_caleb

If this isn’t indicative of any substantive change, what does Disney gain by adding “inclusion” to the corporate culture manual? Is there some big new marketing campaign around the Keys?

Rteetz

Again, it is NOT the corporate culture manual, it is a very specific operational priority philosophy for front line theme park cast members.

Accountants at ESPN and marketing people at Pixar do not get trained on the Four Keys.
What if this lead to a more broad company philosophy though and not just operational aspects? I am just putting thoughts together here but when I saw this it seems to me they want to go more broad.

lazyboy97o

If this isn’t indicative of any substantive change, what does Disney gain by adding “inclusion” to the corporate culture manual? Is there some big new marketing campaign around the Keys?
They gain the ability to publicize it.

What if this lead to a more broad company philosophy though and not just operational aspects? I am just putting thoughts together here but when I saw this it seems to me they want to go more broad.
Then you create or modify something like your Core Values or Mission Statement. Put it someplace big and important. Put it where it actually belongs. It doesn’t make sense to broaden something that works because of its focus into something else because it has a catchy name. What Show is an accountant at ESPN maintaining?

BuzzedPotatoHead89

That’s a really good thread with very clearly stated thoughts. The last one is my big problem. This feels like Disney blaming it’s least empowered and most vulnerable employees.

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like a feel good corporate America initiative to me. All fluff and no tangible action. Mediocrity rises and blame flows downstream.

If inclusivity (or lack thereof) in either content or consumer facing perceptions is a perceived problem in the corporate culture, then this training should start at the upper ranks.

SoFloMagic

Yup, we know the drill.

"Disney should include inclusion in the Four Keys!" = NOT political
"Disney should not include inclusion in the Four Keys! = POLITICAL!!!
I mean, kind of. Inclusion=good is kind of a mainline view. Inclusion=bad is a fringe viewpoint and when supporters of this side come out, things tend to get political.
Let's not think this is argument between two equal sides - it's 2020 vs 1960.

_caleb

Again, it is NOT the corporate culture manual, it is a very specific operational priority philosophy for front line theme park cast members.

Accountants at ESPN and marketing people at Pixar do not get trained on the Four Keys.
You’re obviously just looking to argue. You correctly use the word “philosophy” because the Keys are not operational policy- they inform policy. It’s a tool to shape a corporate culture of customer service- they literally teach the 4 Keys to business around the world.

lazyboy97o

Is Disney publicizing the addition of the “inclusion” Key?
Why would they not? They publicize the Four Keys. Trying to hide it would not seem like a strong commitment.

So where would it fit in the hierarchy? As of now Safety is the prime key that cannot be broken but the others can if it is in service to those higher up. What’s the scenario for breaking inclusion?

SoFloMagic

Oh good, then you understand that this is a front line theme park CM prioritization philosophy only.

So how exactly does the churro vendor exercise inclusion in his daily shift?
By treating everyone with respect, withholding judgement, and recognizing that other people have different life experiences than they may. It's a small step, but it can make a difference.

_caleb

Oh good, then you understand that this is a front line theme park CM prioritization philosophy only.

So how exactly does the churro vendor exercise inclusion in his daily shift? .
Yes, I do understand that this is for CMs. I also know that service-oriented companies around the world pay lots of money to bring Disney trainers in to teach them the 4 Keys (and the Disney Service Basics).

I said it before, but CMs will probably be trained not to refer to a guest as “sir” or “ma’am,” and not to assume gender pronouns. Inclusion will also include further training about implicit bias and how that might result in some guests being excluded.

Rteetz

Really? So this has been an ongoing issue for the last six decades? This is news to me. Expand please.

Enlighten me on the festering issue with front line cast members that caused this change.
I’m not saying it’s widespread. I don’t have specific examples. It would in no way surprise me if there are examples though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom