HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No

Also go check out the site that shall not be named!
I will be at the park on the 26th to take pictures for you guys

The last photo makes me think of this:
happily-ever-after-fireworks-show-1.jpg

Happily Ever After 2.0 for Hong Kong, or at least using similar imagery? The theme song did come from their anniversary after all!

HKDLer

According to local news the castle will be open to guests by this Christmas should there be no closure imposed by the government again. Both daytime and nighttime shows are set to debut in 2021, although the exact date is dependent on the reopening of borders to the park's key foreign markets, namely China, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.

Disneylover152

According to local news the castle will be open to guests by this Christmas should there be no closure imposed by the government again. Both daytime and nighttime shows are set to debut in 2021, although the exact date is dependent on the reopening of borders to the park's key foreign markets, namely China, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.
Do that many people come to HKDL? I find it interesting that many guests from Japan will fly to HKDL when they have their own resort in their own country.

build_it

I wonder if mainland China wants the premier Disney Park to be Shanghai. Encourage the main growth there and take the focus off Hong Kong 😞

Robbiem

I am extremely sad about this news, the masterplanning of the resort and long-term future were so promising IMHO, the best of all Disney resorts. Oh and btw, if there is no second park we can also say goodbye to our hopes of having a Downtown Disney leisure and shopping area...
With the resort fully developped, it could have become an amazing destination with two world-class theme parks, hotels, shopping and dining all in the middle of nature, between mountains and sea, but in a bustling city and close to one of the world's busiest airport...
Now, HKDLR will forever stay as a second tier tiny Disney resort for locals and fans. Its competitiveness against Tokyo and Shanghai is over... 😢

EDIT : of course, this is my opinion as a fan of the resort, I totally understand the social and political reasons behind this decision.
I agree. Hong Kong Disneyland has the best site of any resorts, secluded yet accessible its perfect as an escape from the city or as a stopover location near one of the worlds major airports. The mountain backdrop and ocean really make the resort feel so different from Disney’s other locations especially when you add in inspiration lake and the natural area.

This could be the ultimate example of Iger hubris - going along with the original paired back resort then rather than building up the resort from the get go he distanced himself from it a d jumped to Shanghai leaving Hong Kong forever left playing catch up. It is so sad with

Robbiem

here is an interesting article which deails the restrictions on the second park site:

‘The deed of restrictive covenant ensures the fairytale world remains visually distinct from its surroundings and that the landscape is aesthetically compatible with the attraction.

The unused plot cannot be used for residential purposes, commercial facilities, hotels, other entertainment venues or theme parks. Any buildings erected must be less than 20 metres (66 feet) tall and only low-intensity use is permitted.

Despite the limitations, a range of facilities could still be constructed, including a park, an indoor aquarium, an arena, live theatres, government offices, restaurants or an exhibition centre, to name a few.’

with the Hong Kong government owning the majority of Hong Kong International theme parks it will be interesting to see if Disney can enforce the restrictions or if the government will alter them to get more out of a valuable site

BayouShack

Disney obviously has no intention of developing the land anytime soon, so I think this will end up being better for guests. The restrictions suggest we’ll end up with an entertainment/retail/dining space. Resort guests will have more to do between time at the parks, and HKDL hotels could receive more business. Win/win. And no investment needed from WDC.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom