HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

moe598

Sad but kinda expected - given the tension between China and the US has been increasing...

It’s probably more Disney sitting on a massive pile of land in a city that has no land.

It’s really sad that the option has expired. I guess if no one else buys it Disney could still have a chance in the long run (curious if this is actually a move by HKG to strongarm Disney into doing something). Either way, HKDL still has a way to go before even thinking about a second gate so this decision makes sense.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
It’s really sad that the option has expired. I guess if no one else buys it Disney could still have a chance in the long run (curious if this is actually a move by HKG to strongarm Disney into doing something). Either way, HKDL still has a way to go before even thinking about a second gate so this decision makes sense.
Isn't the land right across the current entrance? I wouldn't be surprised if some tourist company scoops it up and builds a future Disney partner hotel, like the ones in Paris. Granted, with COVID-19 still raging on, I doubt someone will do so now but maybe in the future.

Robbiem

So sad, it has soo much potential!

I agree. I can’t believe Disney have let this happen. It will be interesting to see what happens to the site now. I would imagine a large Empty site with transport links would be a prime site in land poor hong kong.
Rather than being the best planned resort isolated from its surroundings with an amazing mountain backdrop we could now end up with urban sprawl across the esplanade. sad to think what could have been

ThemeParkTraveller

I agree. I can’t believe Disney have let this happen. It will be interesting to see what happens to the site now. I would imagine a large Empty site with transport links would be a prime site in land poor hong kong.
Rather than being the best planned resort isolated from its surroundings with an amazing mountain backdrop we could now end up with urban sprawl across the esplanade. sad to think what could have been

Prior to this news, there was already a lot of pressure on the government to use that land for public housing. If that ends up being the case, the remote feeling of the resort will be ruined by rows of high rise buildings.

Some examples of what public housing in Hong Kong looks like:

Kin_Ming_Estate.jpg

5a1e5297d480d7000183c9a4_hong-kong-public-housing-app.jpg

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
In happier news, online auditions for the new castle show has begun! Ceejay Javier, the Music Director for HKDL, has recently posted this audition listing online:
The new castle show is expected to premiere in 2021, as indicated in the official audition notice.

Rosso11

Does anyone know what price the option is to buy the land? Is it based on requirements that Disney must start building on it in a certain time frame after purchased? From the announcement it seems like the HK government has forced Disney to make a final decision with 1 day to go when they were pushing for an extension to make a commitment. Now that the extension has officially been denied has Disney officially declined to purchase it before the deadline? Or did Disney just publicly state their disappointment in their decision not to extend but not that they officially declined to purchase it?

Disneylover152

Not to mention, Disney's reluctance to actually invest develop HKDL earlier than 2012. Weren't they strongarmed by the Hong Kong Government to invest more in the park?

I'm not sure about the second part of that statement, but in the 2010 decade the park has seen rapid expansion- Toy Story Land, Grizzly Peak, Mystic Point, Paint the Night, Fairytale Forest, Mickey and the Wondrous Book, Iron Man Experience, Ant Man, Moana, Explorer's Lodge and probably some others I'm missing. And they will be seeing a whole Frozen land and new castle in the coming years (and maybe a third Marvel ride if COVID hasn't canceled that).

hooon42

Well, they will keep reimagine the original park, even get no second gate (yet, maybe).

So here's my suggestion:
half the Adventureland transforms to The Princess and the Frog's New Orleans Square like theme land, unlike the Splash Mountain re-theme in the two US Parks, this will replaces "Jungle River Cruise" and "Tarzan's Treehouse" (become Mama Odie's Tree) to "Tiana's Bayou Adventure" dark ride, and replaces "River View Café" to Tiana's Palace. and add a "Dr Facilier's Voodoo Gifts" shop.
EimGmYxU0AALZlA.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

HKDLer

HKDL is hiring Director of Government Relations. It says "The role is also a critical team member to help build and protect HKDL’s image and reputation in an increasingly challenging political and external landscape."

Also indoor live performances are allowed to resume on Oct 1, therefore the Lion King and Mickey & the Wondrous Book will only go dark for a few days during its initial reopening.

PymParty

I am extremely sad about this news, the masterplanning of the resort and long-term future were so promising IMHO, the best of all Disney resorts. Oh and btw, if there is no second park we can also say goodbye to our hopes of having a Downtown Disney leisure and shopping area...
With the resort fully developped, it could have become an amazing destination with two world-class theme parks, hotels, shopping and dining all in the middle of nature, between mountains and sea, but in a bustling city and close to one of the world's busiest airport...
Now, HKDLR will forever stay as a second tier tiny Disney resort for locals and fans. Its competitiveness against Tokyo and Shanghai is over... 😢

EDIT : of course, this is my opinion as a fan of the resort, I totally understand the social and political reasons behind this decision.

IMDREW

After these expansions I think most would consider HKDL a full-day park. Meaning, the next step should have been the second gate and Downtown Disney district.

Still some hope, it looks like the government will only be using the land for quarantaine housing and maybe sports complexes for now. They cannot build high buildings, so at least it shouldn't become the metropolitan we all fear. Disney could buy it back in the future..

Disneylover152

After these expansions I think most would consider HKDL a full-day park. Meaning, the next step should have been the second gate and Downtown Disney district.

Once this expansion is over, HKDL will have 20 rides (Railroad, MS Vehicles, Jungle Cruise, Grizzly Mine Cars, Mystic Manor, 3 Toy Story rides, Dumbo, Carousel, Tea Party, Pooh, Small World, 2 Frozen rides, Iron Man, Ant-Man Space Mountain, Orbitron, and hopefully Avengers). Not to mention 2 parades, fireworks, a couple of walkthroughs, great entertainment, and a lot of atmosphere and details to explore throughout the park. That's a pretty well-rounded park. All I think it needs is one or two more classic dark rides in the park (Peter Pan), a water ride, and another addition to Adventureland, and I think this would be one of the best Disney Parks in the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom