On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

UNCgolf

Complete aside, but related to the discussion of ride preferences... whenever I ride JPA at Uni I always think “wouldn’t it be awesome to have the first half of the ride be y’know the whole ride”. Like instead of having the standard “and then things go horribly wrong” plot, just have a nice relaxing ride about dinosaurs. I get that it goes against the general concept of the Jurassic Park franchise, but I just think it would be a nice compliment to existing offerings in IoA.

I've actually thought that too. I would love a ride through a bunch of animatronic dinosaurs; like a more serious version of the Jungle Cruise.

The drop in JPA is pretty fun, though.

lazyboy97o

Disney has lots of variety and I would say the majority of their rides are dark rides. You could have roller coasters in a theme park. Universal does and outside the mummy the rest of their coasters don't have much of a story but are better then any of the Disney ones. I would love to see a coaster like Hulk at Disney.
The defining, distinguishing characteristic of a theme park is storytelling. Coasters that just focus on thrill and don’t tell a story means adding in things that are not part of the storytelling and undermining the whole premise. Universal’s coasters all have a story, even Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit has a ridiculous premise that tries to work it into its location.

Sharon&Susan

Disney has lots of variety and I would say the majority of their rides are dark rides. You could have roller coasters in a theme park. Universal does and outside the mummy the rest of their coasters don't have much of a story but are better then any of the Disney ones. I would love to see a coaster like Hulk at Disney.
Maybe because Disney generally creates rides that appeal to "all ages" while Universal focuses much more on the teen-young adult demographic?

yensidtlaw1969

I think the problem is many Disney fans have the belief that a ride needs to be highly themed to be good. Look no further then the new Jurrasic Park coaster. It looks like it's going to be one of the best new attractions coming in the next year but many Disney fans look down on it cause it's not well themed
It's not that "a ride" needs to be highly themed to be good. It's that Disney made that their trade and did it better than anyone else, setting their own standard for their operations. Standards that other companies have tried and sometimes failed (and sometimes succeeded!) to achieve. Of course, some companies do not aspire to these standards, or do so only some of the time, and that is their perogative.

Personally, I don't hold Universal to Disney's standards. They do not wholly aspire to meet Disney's standards. And why should they? They are their own operation with their own audience. But I will say that my personal tastes in Themed Entertainment are shaped by Disney's classic attractions, so I'm predisposed to be less excited on average by Universal's offerings.

By that measure, I won't call the new Jurassic Park coaster a "bad ride", but to me it appears to be an unimpressive themed experience. Jury is still out, of course, since it isn't complete, but the writing appears to be on the wall for that particular standard. It looks like it should be impressive in other ways.

Given my personal tastes, it astounds me that there are people who consider Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure a more impressive themed experience than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. They are free to call it a "better ride" if they so wish, but it stuns me to hear people call Hagrid's theming especially impressive. Fun though it looks to be as a coaster experience. And I do enjoy coasters! But given the choice between a minimally themed juggernaut and a tamer but intricately themed experience, I'll personally take intricate every time. I enjoy physical thrill, but I prefer showmanship - which isn't a judgement on anyone's product.

The Jurassic Coaster may be the best ride built this year, the most fun, the most thrilling - but if someone is looking at it from the perspective of an immersive themed experience then it's likely to fall short in their eyes. That tends to be how Disney fans look at things because that is what Disney is known for producing. That tends to be how I like to look at things - not because that's the only way, not because I expect Universal to cater to me, but simply because those are the types of experience I most want to give my time and money to, that's all.

There are so many standards by which something can be judged as good. To say something doesn't succeed at all of them isn't necessarily to say it's bad, especially if the intention was not to succeed at all of them. I don't get the impression Universal intended the Jurassic Coaster to be an absolutely dazzling themed experience, it seems like it's meant to thrill by a different standard. Which is fine! Doesn't make it bad. But it also doesn't mean I'm interested, given my tastes. I'm simply looking for something else from my themed entertainment than what this ride is offering.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This one is played out...so my final take:

There is honestly no bigger fan of the history of Disney artistic and technical design. It’s frankly why I go there. I’m not there for made up “mystical energy”, parades, projection shows, characters and cupcakes. Nonsense.
But I still can appreciate that.

For me, this goes back to Disney’s construction over the last 20 years and operation. And that triggers an almost instinctual response from the Disney elite fans...what I call “the praetorians”.

The world is not so small that a normal, highly impressive ride from a technical perspective can’t be better than an over themed one...covered in movie sets with computer designed rock work. It can happen. I’m not saying it does all the time - of course.

The Jurassic park coaster was bagged from the start by the purple cloaks. It’s in record. But that’s silly. Maybe it’s only a shot of adrenaline? Maybe they figured out how to “bridge” the atmosphere and the G-force. That’s kinda hagrids and gringotts. The world is big enough for both.

But it’s kinda elitist to say that a thrill is automatically inferior to theme. And before 8 people say “I didn’t say that”...ya did. Implied the hell out of it.

So while Peter Pan and mine train are fine rides...they don’t have 1 hour/2 hour waits because “theming is superior”. It’s because the Iger management has BADLY mismanaged supply and operation of those parks.

There’s a couple of unrelated elements being crossed here and the truth remains “elusive”.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And that brings me to Bob Iger. Mr. Chairman. Mr. Gotta Put Yoda on His Wife's Dress to Bury Some Search Engine Leads. That guy. It is my pleasure to announce that he will be soon tossed on his ***. In disgrace. His sins, his poor judgement, his poor treatment of subordinates. His malicious temper and outrageous displays of "toxic masculinity" as the kids call it. All this and more is coming out. Good riddance.

It's been almost three months.

When exactly is Iger being "tossed out"?

Brer Panther

...in May
1600608872598.png

Jrb1979

This one is played out...so my final take:

There is honestly no bigger fan of the history of Disney artistic and technical design. It’s frankly why I go there. I’m not there for made up “mystical energy”, parades, projection shows, characters and cupcakes. Nonsense.
But I still can appreciate that.

For me, this goes back to Disney’s construction over the last 20 years and operation. And that triggers an almost instinctual response from the Disney elite fans...what I call “the praetorians”.

The world is not so small that a normal, highly impressive ride from a technical perspective can’t be better than an over themed one...covered in movie sets with computer designed rock work. It can happen. I’m not saying it does all the time - of course.

The Jurassic park coaster was bagged from the start by the purple cloaks. It’s in record. But that’s silly. Maybe it’s only a shot of adrenaline? Maybe they figured out how to “bridge” the atmosphere and the G-force. That’s kinda hagrids and gringotts. The world is big enough for both.

But it’s kinda elitist to say that a thrill is automatically inferior to theme. And before 8 people say “I didn’t say that”...ya did. Implied the hell out of it.

So while Peter Pan and mine train are fine rides...they don’t have 1 hour/2 hour waits because “theming is superior”. It’s because the Iger management has BADLY mismanaged supply and operation of those parks.

There’s a couple of unrelated elements being crossed here and the truth remains “elusive”.
I guess that's where I differ. While Disney rides are impressive, they never really push the boundaries on new technology. Rise is just an upgrade from Ratatouille. For me the boundaries that they push with roller coasters are much more impressive. Who would have thought years ago that a wooden coaster could have inversions let alone multiple ones. Or 200 foot tall coaster have 9 inversions or break the 400 foot tall barrier. That to me is impressive. From everything I have heard the new Jurrasic Park coaster is going to one of most intense coasters in Orlando. I have said before theming is just added stuff to a ride. What would really impress me is if Disney made a high thrilling ride that was highly themed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess that's where I differ. While Disney rides are impressive, they never really push the boundaries on new technology. Rise is just an upgrade from Ratatouille. For me the boundaries that they push with roller coasters are much more impressive. Who would have thought years ago that a wooden coaster could have inversions let alone multiple ones. Or 200 foot tall coaster have 9 inversions or break the 400 foot tall barrier. That to me is impressive. From everything I have heard the new Jurrasic Park coaster is going to one of most intense coasters in Orlando. I have said before theming is just added stuff to a ride. What would really impress me is if Disney made a high thrilling ride that was highly themed.
They pushed the boundaries of technology...just not THRILL technology.

I think they’re too conservative. Some more “thrill” rides may help with their awful, logjammed crowd distribution system in Orlando...but I get why they don’t go that route. Not their expectations from the public.
That doesn’t mean they have to be badly themed. Tower is an excellent blend of theme and jolt. Splash always was too. I hold up RNRC as what can be done ingenious on a budget. So it’s possible but not with the amount of “IP and operational complacency” we see now.

Rise of the abrams pushes a lot of boundaries...so did flight of passage...but they aren’t for “maximin thrill”
Johnson’s Journey is a trackless - no longer cutting edge but significant - mixed with really high end effects and a quick simulator carriage that captures the vehicle. That last part is overdesigned...maintenance will likely be more “test track” than “tower”...but it’s impressive design.

_caleb

I think you and I might have very different definitions of “pushing the boundary.” And “new technology.”

And possibly also “discussion.” But that’s okay!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom