Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Bella

Ok! All this discussion in and of itself can induce depression and possible cardio vascular issues. It is sad and heart breaking that decisions and policies initiated to deal with COVID19 have created a web of other serious medical issues. It is all very humbling. It is enough to drive one to take a drink or two or better yet! go to WDW and then take a drink or two. The term "wanna get away" has fresh meaning.
I've been on 25 DCL cruises. I've gone everywhere DCL sails. I've been to WDW multiple times. I will say this trip to Orlando was probably one of the best vacations I've had..... Covid, mask, heat and all. I've never wanted to get away as much as I did this August. It was wonderful to be around other people enjoying themselves, and yes I did have a drink or two.
The affect this is having on our mental health has been greatly overlooked and it's only going to get worse with the economic challenges people are going to face.

rowrbazzle

There was talk of Big 10 football possibly returning this fall. Apparently it will in late October. The vote by the University presidents was unanimous.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I've been on 25 DCL cruises. I've gone everywhere DCL sails. I've been to WDW multiple times. I will say this trip to Orlando was probably one of the best vacations I've had..... Covid, mask, heat and all. I've never wanted to get away as much as I did this August. It was wonderful to be around other people enjoying themselves, and yes I did have a drink or two.
The affect this is having on our mental health has been greatly overlooked and it's only going to get worse with the economic challenges people are going to face.
I'll echo your remarks as it relates to one of the best experiences I have had. It was nice to "socialize" again albeit from a distance and it was equally nice to not be in a rush trying to schedule my day out based off FP+ times and dining reservations. It was the most relaxed day at the parks I've ever had in my recent memory.

Touchdown

The lockdowns were supposed to do three functions:

1. Flatten the curve so hospitals don’t get overrun, outside of NYC they successfully did this

2. Buy time to increase testing capacity to make sure things never got out of hand again, this was partially achieved but we really have dropped the ball on this as of late and our daily testing numbers have been flat in a lot of states.

3. Buy time to hire, train and mobilize contact tracers, without them testing is blind as we can’t target people most likely to have been exposed. We utterly failed on this and that’s why our outbreak has t been sniffed out, we’ve never finished our first wave and why fresh hotspots keep on happening.

Because we failed to use the time we had during our lockdowns they did not function as well as they should have and we’ve been stuck in this twilight zone state of being open but not really. The virus is so widespread that we will never be able to test and contact trace our way out of it without another lockout which again has no political support and won’t until we are already in the midst of a major breakout again (which I hope doesn’t happen.) The only way this is going to end is either with a vaccine, successful treatment, or in 2-3 years when we achieve herd immunity.

Miss Bella

I'll echo your remarks as it relates to one of the best experiences I have had. It was nice to "socialize" again albeit from a distance and it was equally nice to not be in a rush trying to schedule my day out based off FP+ times and dining reservations. It was the most relaxed day at the parks I've ever had in my recent memory.
Kudos to all the people that can stay home and keep their sanity. I couldn't do it. Thankfully I don't live in a state with heavy lockdowns. I've tried to keep life as normal as possible. We've eaten out a couple times a week since this has started. The hardest part for me is the uncertainty when it comes to the think I love the most travel. I had a lot of trips planned that I've had to cancel and no idea when borders will open again.

sullyinMT

I’ll agree with the two of you on this. We went to Orlando, and hit all three major parks, in the beginning of August. It was the most relaxing theme park vacation I have ever taken. And the drinks did go down a little easier. In addition, I have never felt so appreciated by the team and cast members that were there busting their rear ends keeping all of the guests safe and enjoying themselves. It was a truly remarkable experience.

lazyboy97o

or in 2-3 years when we achieve herd immunity.
We may need a lot more time to get there. The Red Cross‘ antibody testing of blood donations have come up with a very small prevalence. Obviously it’s not a true cross sample, limited geographic area and the question of decreasing antibodies, but it seems to be a strong bit of evidence against the hope that huge swaths of the population have actually already been sick and never knew it.

sullyinMT

The problem with all of that is that money doesn't grow on trees. It is already (before the pandemic) impossible to tax enough to cover spending. At some point, spending trillions that don't exist will lead to MAJOR long term economic problems. The country won't go bankrupt (it can't since the debt is all in USD) but eventually the value of the dollar will fall precipitously and inflation will get out of control.
No, we certainly can’t “print our way out of this.” I guess the counter argument is, “if we’re going to spend the money anyway, might as well be more targeted.” $7T+ has been pulled from thin air anyway, I don’t think some of the proposals recently raised could have cost more.

ETA: I’m personally not a fan of massive government spending in 99% of cases, but I do think a targeted approach as has been proposed might have been a better use of money and energy here.

Touchdown

We may need a lot more time to get there. The Red Cross‘ antibody testing of blood donations have come up with a very small prevalence. Obviously it’s not a true cross sample, limited geographic area and the question of decreasing antibodies, but it seems to be a strong bit of evidence against the hope that huge swaths of the population have actually already been sick and never knew it.

I just threw out a number, but it could be much longer and is all the more reason why that herd immunity should not be an option on its own.

MissingDisney

Kudos to all the people that can stay home and keep their sanity. I couldn't do it. Thankfully I don't live in a state with heavy lockdowns. I've tried to keep life as normal as possible. We've eaten out a couple times a week since this has started. The hardest part for me is the uncertainty when it comes to the think I love the most travel. I had a lot of trips planned that I've had to cancel and no idea when borders will open again.
First world problems!! Amirite!?!? 🤣🤣

Tink242424

Yeah, but the antibody tests aren't that sensitive and antibodies do wane but T cell & B cell immunity does not for a long time. I personally believe we have had way more spread than we can quantify and this will be over sooner rather than later.

mmascari

The problem with all of that is that money doesn't grow on trees. It is already (before the pandemic) impossible to tax enough to cover spending. At some point, spending trillions that don't exist will lead to MAJOR long term economic problems. The country won't go bankrupt (it can't since the debt is all in USD) but eventually the value of the dollar will fall precipitously and inflation will get out of control.
It certainly doesn't at the state level. Only the federal government, and only ones that have their own currency like ours, can do this.

Managing that inflation impact is a key point. The specific theory here is that all government spending by itself doesn't cause inflation. The things it's being spent on matter significantly. The spending has to be for stuff that nobody else wants, where it's not competing with others to buy the same stuff. As that competition would cause inflation as others out bid the government and then the government outbid them.

So, government spending couldn't simply buy up services we don't want to allow during a pandemic if others can still buy them too. That would put the government trying to outbid other patrons for dinner tonight. A restaurant would increase the price until one side gave up, massive instant inflation. But, that's not going on here, because we've made it illegal for anyone use to use the restaurant. This makes the restaurant bear the entire cost of not being open. Which is passed on to it's employees and suppliers who can no longer sell to the restaurant.

If the government decided to build a monument to fiat currency in DC that's a huge bonfire only burning hundred dollar bills and nothing else, they could print as many hundred dollar bills to feed this fire as they want with no impact on inflation at all (mostly). All those hundreds aren't buying anything someone else wants. It's mostly, because, if the fire is large enough and requires enough bills, they'll drive up the demand for the raw materials used in the production of the bills. At that point, production of the bills will be competing for resources against someone else and that would cause inflation.

Short term limited spending, even at a huge amount, for resources we've made illegal for anyone else to purchase where other demand has disappeared isn't going to spike inflation. Continuing that spending once other demand is allowed again would.

This is relatively simple with open vs closed. But, clearly harder with a partial open. Is a restaurant 50% open and needs 50% support? What's it 50% of? Yesterday, last week, last month, last year? Were their sales trending up, down, or flat? What level is the spending aiming for? Clearly some issues in details, which probably causes under funding some in the partial scenarios. The alternative is forcing a restaurant to bear the entire cost the same way they would if a competitor opened across town and took all their customers. They'll just go out of business.

Furiated

This is a more lightly moderated site than most, and I appreciate that. If you're looking for a more heavily moderated one, they exist - you just need to do a little forum-shopping. There's one where the restaurant moderator will shut down any discussion of a dress code at WDW restaurants that suggests people should exceed her personal standard of "don't stink."

Haha really? What site is this? The big 3 letter site or somewhere else?

Not that I'd support shutting down discussion on it, but I'm on her side. It always baffles me to see the topic come up and find out people seem to want everyone wearing 3 piece suits at California Grill 🤣

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Once this virus started circulating the world there was no stuffing that genie back in the bottle. The US is not very different then the rest of the countries on this planet that is dealing with this pandemic. We are just much larger and each state/region is dealing with this virus slightly different - some better, some worse.

That's completely false. You're taking a larger population and saying that its higher prevalence of cases and deaths is because it's a greater number of people involved.

When you take into account cases and deaths *per capita*, the U.S. has been at the bottom of the list of countries.

You'd know that if you read all the charts in this thread that showed per capita stats instead of giving them LOL reactions.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1600282109268.png

1600282130700.png

Chi84

Premium Member
Haha really? What site is this? The big 3 letter site or somewhere else?

Not that I'd support shutting down discussion on it, but I'm on her side. It always baffles me to see the topic come up and find out people seem to want everyone wearing 3 piece suits at California Grill 🤣
You got the right site. Normally, I would agree but the last time we were at Cali Grill for brunch we rode up in the elevator with a family that said they had been at MK for hours. Although they did meet the Disney minimum dress code of having some type of fabric covering their nether parts, both adults had sweated completely through their T-shirts. I'd write more, but there's someone watching this thread for off-topic discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom