When are all these cutbacks not about COVID anymore?

Kkar

Disney’s philosophy is not to believe you.

They don’t feel “touches” has monetary value.

So look where those places you listed are now:
V&A’s has risen 300% in price in 20 years...and is not to the same standards

The other restaurants have lowered quality and risen in price tailored around the mass market dining plan.

Mizners has an IP overlay 🙄...just...couldn’t...not...do...it.

And the orchestra fell into the “nobody will miss it” category for them.

But people will book...they will buy resell DVC points straight from Disney for more money and less time...
And nobody will batt an eye

Absolutely correct on the declining quality and reduced options at the GF restaurants - we've definitely noticed. But with the TiW card (which brought the prices from obscene down to still ridiculous), and the truly unique experience of listening to the Orchestra from directly behind them (you almost felt that you were sitting on the bandstand!), the overall ambience was still worth it to us. With all that gone, the GF is now just a pretty lobby in a barely 4-star hotel with severely over-priced restaurants. For the first time in a decade, we likely won't renew our TiW again. Just too many subtractions to make dining there a memorable experience anymore.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Absolutely correct on the declining quality and reduced options at the GF restaurants - we've definitely noticed. But with the TiW card (which brought the prices from obscene down to still ridiculous), and the truly unique experience of listening to the Orchestra from directly behind them (you almost felt that you were sitting on the bandstand!), the overall ambience was still worth it to us. With all that gone, the GF is now just a pretty lobby in a barely 4-star hotel with severely over-priced restaurants. For the first time in a decade, we likely won't renew our TiW again. Just too many subtractions to make dining memorable anymore.
4 star is generous...honestly

castlecake2.0

I just heard confirmation that the Grand Floridian Orchestra is no more. They're playing a few shows at DHS for the rest of this month, then they're done. I realize that paying an orchestra is expensive and Disney is looking to cut costs, but they were largely what made visiting the GF so unique. We used to spend an entire evening at the GF at least once per trip, (pre-dinner drinks at Mizners, dinner at Citrico's, Narcoosee's or V&A, then back at Mizners for after-dinner cordials) and often brought friends with us. We literally spent thousands there over the years. But between no more orchestra and the destruction of Mizners lounge, we really have no reason to return.

I wonder if this has something to do with the rumoured refurb of the Lobby as well? I could see them being brought back once things reach a new normal, but right now it really isn’t with it to have them unfortunately.

NickMaio

Disney’s philosophy is not to believe you.

They don’t feel “touches” has monetary value.

So look where those places you listed are now:
V&A’s has risen 300% in price in 20 years...and is not to the same standards

The other restaurants have lowered quality and risen in price tailored around the mass market dining plan.

Mizners has an IP overlay 🙄...just...couldn’t...not...do...it.

And the orchestra fell into the “nobody will miss it” category for them.

But people will book...they will buy resell DVC points straight from Disney for more money and less time...
And nobody will batt an eye
It is sad because it was these "touches" that WDW and DL really stand out from the crowd and made your vacation feel like something else.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Going to take more than just a little sprucing up, Saturday afternoon you could have drone races on all floors because it was totally empty.

1600188063937.png

Epcot82Guy

I made my first trip to Enchanted Rose this weekend (and it was a pretty bad experience, sadly) - and all we could think was - we lost the band for THIS? My friend from California asked that 3 different times. The price point vs. actual execution leaves a lot to be desired. I guess there is enough of the clientele who somehow has the money but no reference point to other places of higher quality (whom I saw - and HEARD while there). But most guests seemed to stop in for one drink and leave quickly. It wasn't a relaxing lounge by any sorts like it used to be.

scottieRoss

It is sad because it was these "touches" that WDW and DL really stand out from the crowd and made your vacation feel like something else.
Also, remember that these touches cost so much per person staying at the hotel. And with no hotel guests; who is contributing to paying the expenses for these touches like the orchestra?
I made my first trip to Enchanted Rose this weekend (and it was a pretty bad experience, sadly) - and all we could think was - we lost the band for THIS? My friend from California asked that 3 different times. The price point vs. actual execution leaves a lot to be desired. I guess there is enough of the clientele who somehow has the money but no reference point to other places of higher quality (whom I saw - and HEARD while there). But most guests seemed to stop in for one drink and leave quickly. It wasn't a relaxing lounge by any sorts like it used to be.
This is most likely the business model that Disney wants for the lounge. As guests find a bar 'relaxing', they tend to stay longer amounts of time per cocktail. Being in the bar business, the time between drink orders increases the longer someone sits in a bar/lounge. So the key to increased cash flow is to table turns. This can be seen with Oga's cantina. At first glance, you would think it would not matter how long someone sits in there and drinks, if the seats are full you would think you maximized income. But if you can turn the tables, you sell more cocktails overall in the same period with the same seating and same number of people in the bar as before.

NickMaio

Also, remember that these touches cost so much per person staying at the hotel. And with no hotel guests; who is contributing to paying the expenses for these touches like the orchestra?

This is most likely the business model that Disney wants for the lounge. As guests find a bar 'relaxing', they tend to stay longer amounts of time per cocktail. Being in the bar business, the time between drink orders increases the longer someone sits in a bar/lounge. So the key to increased cash flow is to table turns. This can be seen with Oga's cantina. At first glance, you would think it would not matter how long someone sits in there and drinks, if the seats are full you would think you maximized income. But if you can turn the tables, you sell more cocktails overall in the same period with the same seating and same number of people in the bar as before.
It's a catch 22........
In business there is an old phrase.
You need to spend money to make money.
Dis has been tightening purse string since WAY before Covid.
Keep it up and the cost cutting will definitely keep people away......

Kkar

It's a catch 22........
In business there is an old phrase.
You need to spend money to make money.
Dis has been tightening purse string since WAY before Covid.
Keep it up and the cost cutting will definitely keep people away......

"...the cost cutting will definitely keep people away." This is exactly what's happened to us. As regular customers who spent a LOT of cash there with each visit, they've lost us.
We did try the ER twice. Once was extremely loud, crowded and uncomfortable; the second time was nearly dead, but because of the bigger size of the place, it's really not cozy or warm. Just a large, dark space that really doesn't fit in with the rest of the hotel (both in theme and atmosphere.)

tirian

Here’s another angle on the OP:

Last night, a friend and I discussed the cavalcades Disney threw for Aladdin, The Lion King, and even Hercules. These were in addition to their standard day parades, which were at least 15 minutes longer than they are currently. And Disney had a parade or major show in every park. And they had a cutting-edge (for its time) night parade. And they had multiple stage shows in the MK. And the talent sang live. And the restaurants didn’t require 180-day reservations.

And the tickets, food, and resorts were reasonable even when adjusted for inflation.

Today we get Anna and Elsa in a carriage, expensive glitter cupcakes, and Dole Whip floats, and people are okay with that.

Animaniac93-98

I guess there is enough of the clientele who somehow has the money but no reference point to other places of higher quality (whom I saw - and HEARD while there).
Today we get Anna and Elsa in a carriage, expensive glitter cupcakes, and Dole Whip floats, and people are okay with that.

Some of us have been saying this for years, but too many got offended by the idea that maybe certain experiences were not worth the money or the behaviour of WDW guests was less than ideal.

But we know modern WDW attracts a kind of customer who does not have as much travel experience or knowledge, and that enables management to do whatever and take advantage of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom