Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

lindawdw

Looks like you had a fun morning at DHS with the exception of the whole mobile ordering thing.:rolleyes: I'm glad you were able to find a manager to help you before your blood pressure got the best of you! I'm heading to WDW the end of October and I'm taking notes so I know what to expect with dining.

KellBelle

Lunchtime.

View attachment 497815

Remember these earlier comments from me?

This lunch was the meal I was alluding to....and our initial encounter with Mobile Order Nazis.

Before arriving at PizzeRizzo, I attempted to mobile order. I encountered two issues that raised my blood pressure.

1) Each pizza came with a side Caesar salad (which neither Em nor I eat.)Typically we ask the CM to hold the salad, which not only saves us a couple bucks but prevents food waste (since we don’t pitch uneaten salads in the trash.) There was not an option to “hold” the salad on mobile order. (Fact is you can make very few modifications to a mobile order at any restaurant....picky eaters, beware!)

2) I wanted to use my gift card for payment....and discovered the gift card number had not been stored!

Two CMs blocked the entrance to PizzeRizzo. There were lots of confused guests standing around, some on their phones, others attempting to talk to a CM. At first I thought the restaurant hadn’t begun letting in guests. I peered inside and saw a few guests with trays of food. I attempted to bypass the CMs and enter.

“YOU MUST MOBILE ORDER!” Nazi CM #1 yelled at me.

I was stunned. Immediately I understood the confused looks on the faces of other guests.

“YOU CAN’T GO INSIDE UNTIL YOUR MOBILE ORDER IS READY!” Nazi CM #2 yelled at another guest.
“USE THE APP TO MOBILE ORDER!” Nazi CM #1 yelled to the crowd in general.

Where am I? I thought to myself.

Yet (to Em’s chagrin) I was persistent. A manager had arrived and I approached her. “I can’t mobile order,” I said.
“You don’t have the app?” she asked.
“I don’t want the salad,” were the first words out of my mouth.
“Oh, no salad? I can help you inside!” she sweetly chirped. “Follow me.”

I followed but Em got stopped by Nazi CM #1. Em had to plead her case that she was with me before she was allowed inside.

The manager took me to a register far from the door and took my order. Two Cokes, two pizzas, no salads. I paid with my gift card. I was happy. My blood pressure returned to normal.

View attachment 497817

Em was just happy the ordeal was over!

View attachment 497816
Soooo.. they are fine with you eating indoors with no mask, but not fine with you placing a quick order at the counter? I have not been yet since they reopened, I have a trip planned early Dec, but I am with @Darstarr, eating at WDW seems hard! I am happy you guys were finally able to get what you wanted. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

The sun was shining as we joined the convoluted queue for MMRR.

42B31840-1C55-420A-BD89-E3A9C1F04C95.jpeg

But ominous black clouds quickly rolled in and it began to pour before we could get inside the building.

A468E2C7-BC11-4B7D-863A-4F6276DEA168.jpeg

Em and I were prepared with our umbrellas (the chance for daily summer rain in central FL is always greater than no rain, right @Darstarr?) so we did not get wet when the line left the covered areas of the queue.

FC323362-66A9-4B6E-B7F8-6CEC0483C836.jpeg

(Confidential to @ajrwdwgirl ~ Em took this “Potatoland” pic which I discovered while compiling this post. I remember your pic of Brad posing by a giant potato. Where was that taken? There’s obviously a connection.)

We enjoyed our journey through the cartoon world so much that we opted to get back in line. (It didn’t hurt that it was still raining and the line was now shorter and all indoors.;) )

We were still waiting in line when (unbeknownst to me) Em managed to score BG 44 at the 1 pm release. However RotR was down and we didn’t know if we would even get to do it. (I was just impressed that Em’s magic touch had worked again!)

Almost there....
3DBE7C0D-073A-4016-94C5-FFBECBCD9759.jpeg

How many times have we ridden MMRR this trip?

1AF17BDA-E129-44E9-94FF-83CFB7C290BA.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
As the rain rain rain came down down down we sloshed across the park to Muppets.

The outdoor queue was in use but it’s all under cover so no worries. This poster made me laugh.

257AEF26-3C35-4647-806D-3B0EE507A8B6.jpeg

And this Gonzo pipe gave me a flashback to the 90s, when it was not unusual to queue outdoors for Muppets in July.

6E7947EB-F009-489D-B552-7ED7D9E74DA3.jpeg

All guests were held back until the preshow ended so we got the “full experience.”

05E3E942-F780-4880-9383-C02AB006E94D.jpeg

Each party had their own circle to stand on.

3D7E7A78-B0EB-42E6-A725-A9021B09738A.jpeg

In the preshow video there is funny dialogue between Scooter and Rizzo that is now taboo.
Scooter: “Ladies and Gentlemen, if you could step as far forward and close together as you can...”
Rizzo interrupts: “Yeah, yeah, yeah get real close....you see we’re doing a study on deodorant strength.”

At that exact moment the CM in the room exclaimed, “PLEASE don’t do that! That joke hasn’t aged well.”

Strange times, indeed.

Inside the theater the seats are marked where not to sit.

01C8D7E4-0F55-45D0-BB0C-F3AF8B1EC4A5.jpeg

Some may say the 3D show is dated but we consider it a classic fave.

Longers

We decided to get in line for Slinky Dog Dash before any weather issues shut it down. Em and I took note of new details we found while waiting. We did feel toy-size!

View attachment 497720

View attachment 497721

View attachment 497722

It took a little over 5 minutes to reach the actual entrance.

View attachment 497723

View attachment 497724

Fifteen minutes later we were onboard and ready to go!

View attachment 497725

I used to consider the back of Slinky my favorite place for riding. Today Em and I were in the front and whoo boy....the part where you climb the final hill felt exactly like we were about to blast off into the sky....it was awesome!!

View attachment 497726

After we’d left the unload area there was the sound of rolling thunder, which promptly closed the attraction.

Funny you should say that about where to sit - I always thought the back Was best but the last time I rode at night we were in the front and I liked it more.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em and I rounded the corner when the cavalcade ended and saw something new near the former Sounds Dangerous (or Monster Sound Show for you real old-timers) theater.

9DDEB3EE-1276-4E67-B570-CD2CFB0629A2.jpeg

“What’s this?” Em asked. I shrugged. Then we both looked over at the theater.

79A4D4CE-BDFB-453A-908A-74F14A2CC4E1.jpeg

“It must be a short film,” I said. “Mickey Shorts Theater, get it?”

Of course Em got it. She has a master’s degree.

“Want to go in?”

“Sure!”

Look at the clever exterior!
A11D87E7-B2A5-496D-9E5D-5442C7C81E66.jpeg

The interior was just as cute. Each seat resembled a pair of Mickey’s shorts.

7B2C8189-C1B1-415F-B9AC-B255CAE153C0.jpeg

Em, myself and another guest were the only ones in the theater when the “short” started.

1BD03A30-2707-4CF6-BD76-11A801EFDAAF.jpeg

This fun cartoon is in the same style of animation found in MMRR (my brother called it “zany” but I am not sure if that is the proper term). I prefer the Fab Five old-school style....being an old-school gal....but I liked the story. (And now that I think about it, @ajrwdwgirl, Potatoland is one of the destinations in Vacation Fun.) Even if you don’t have little kids, take time to see this hidden gem ~ it’s a nice escape from the crowds and heat/rain.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Thursday, con’t

The sun was shining as we joined the convoluted queue for MMRR.

View attachment 497933

But ominous black clouds quickly rolled in and it began to pour before we could get inside the building.

View attachment 497934

Em and I were prepared with our umbrellas (the chance for daily summer rain in central FL is always greater than no rain, right @Darstarr?) so we did not get wet when the line left the covered areas of the queue.

View attachment 497936
(Confidential to @ajrwdwgirl ~ Em took this “Potatoland” pic which I discovered while compiling this post. I remember your pic of Brad posing by a giant potato. Where was that taken? There’s obviously a connection.)

We enjoyed our journey through the cartoon world so much that we opted to get back in line. (It didn’t hurt that it was still raining and the line was now shorter and all indoors.;) )

We were still waiting in line when (unbeknownst to me) Em managed to score BG 44 at the 1 pm release. However RotR was down and we didn’t know if we would even get to do it. (I was just impressed that Em’s magic touch had worked again!)

Almost there....
View attachment 497937

How many times have we ridden MMRR this trip?

View attachment 497935

Is this the picture you were thinking of? It is me and the potato not Brad, I don't remember where the picture is of Brad. Maybe it was on his phone. Anyway, we took the picture in the exit area of the Mickey Shorts theater, there were other photo op displays too.
IMG_5975.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I was stunned. Immediately I understood the confused looks on the faces of other guests.

“YOU CAN’T GO INSIDE UNTIL YOUR MOBILE ORDER IS READY!” Nazi CM #2 yelled at another guest.

Seriously, I would have walked out of there. Not that it would matter at all, as even if a complaint was registered, it would fall on deaf ears at WDW.

Is PizzaRizzo categorized as a full-service restaurant, or a quick service one? (Never been to it, and I've always been confused when I see the photos.) Either way, it sounds like they don't take any walk-ups at all, with this system.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
This is extremely frustrating to me (and about a million other people, probably). I have zero problem with the IDEA of mobile ordering, the chance of having my cell phone and the mobile order app work perfectly each time I want to do this, is very slim, that's why I'd have to go to the counter. So I guess I'd just tell a CM that the app isn't working since we can't wait in line anymore?
On both my summer trips, the door Nazis were adamant about no entry until your mobile order number had been called. To be fair, some places were less harsh than others. And they have iPads to assist guests. Ordering at the counter is a "last resort' option.

Eating at WDW is hard...
Amen!

Soooo.. they are fine with you eating indoors with no mask, but not fine with you placing a quick order at the counter? I have not been yet since they reopened, I have a trip planned early Dec, but I am with @Darstarr, eating at WDW seems hard! I am happy you guys were finally able to get what you wanted. :)
Hopefully some of the kinks will be smoothed out over time. If nothing else, politeness training would go a long way.

Seriously, I would have walked out of there. Not that it would matter at all, as even if a complaint was registered, it would fall on deaf ears at WDW.
Is PizzaRizzo categorized as a full-service restaurant, or a quick service one? (Never been to it, and I've always been confused when I see the photos.) Either way, it sounds like they don't take any walk-ups at all, with this system.
Sadly we would have encountered the same issue at any other DHS QS that day, "Use Mobile Order."

PizzeRizzo is a very large (two stories plus balcony) quick service restaurant. There are numerous ordering queues inside, that are now empty and unstaffed. (Much like Target or Walmart every day of the year. 🤣)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
My 80’s roots are showing... I immediately heard David Lee Roth’s California Girls playing over and over while reading. 😑
I like his version too!

Is this the picture you were thinking of? It is me and the potato not Brad, I don't remember where the picture is of Brad. Maybe it was on his phone. Anyway, we took the picture in the exit area of the Mickey Shorts theater, there were other photo op displays too.
View attachment 498060
That's the location but I think the pic I saw (Insta? Chit Chat?) was of Brad. In either case, we completely missed the photo op displays at the exit. :facepalm:

NeilHoytPA

Door Nazis at WDW? I never would have thought such a thing would be happening. I'm old school and appreciate the interaction with cast members at WDW, but a door nazi telling me i'm not allowed entry without mobile order would put a sour taste in my mouth. We all spend enough time on our devices at WDW as it is for ADRs FP, etc. This just adds another layer of stress for some people. Hope this changes before too long.

Minnesota disney fan

Lunchtime.

View attachment 497815

Remember these earlier comments from me?

This lunch was the meal I was alluding to....and our initial encounter with Mobile Order Nazis.

Before arriving at PizzeRizzo, I attempted to mobile order. I encountered two issues that raised my blood pressure.

1) Each pizza came with a side Caesar salad (which neither Em nor I eat.)Typically we ask the CM to hold the salad, which not only saves us a couple bucks but prevents food waste (since we don’t pitch uneaten salads in the trash.) There was not an option to “hold” the salad on mobile order. (Fact is you can make very few modifications to a mobile order at any restaurant....picky eaters, beware!)

2) I wanted to use my gift card for payment....and discovered the gift card number had not been stored!

Two CMs blocked the entrance to PizzeRizzo. There were lots of confused guests standing around, some on their phones, others attempting to talk to a CM. At first I thought the restaurant hadn’t begun letting in guests. I peered inside and saw a few guests with trays of food. I attempted to bypass the CMs and enter.

Yet (to Em’s chagrin) I was persistent. A manager had arrived and I approached her. “I can’t mobile order,” I said.
“You don’t have the app?” she asked.
“I don’t want the salad,” were the first words out of my mouth.
“Oh, no salad? I can help you inside!” she sweetly chirped. “Follow me.”

I followed but Em got stopped by Nazi CM #1. Em had to plead her case that she was with me before she was allowed inside.

The manager took me to a register far from the door and took my order. Two Cokes, two pizzas, no salads. I paid with my gift card. I was happy. My blood pressure returned to normal.

View attachment 497817

Em was just happy the ordeal was over!

View attachment 497816

OMgosh! We are really in trouble on our next visit! You see, I don't have a smart phone and husband doesn't have a cell phone at all.
I hope we don't get yelled at trying to order.
There was no need for that CM to yell at people. A stunt like that can ruin your experience. I'm glad the manager helped you out:)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
OMgosh! We are really in trouble on our next visit! You see, I don't have a smart phone and husband doesn't have a cell phone at all.

Technology can be great, but it isn’t the “be all and end all” and I personally find it annoying that so many businesses and organizations think that EVERYONE is “connected” with the newest technology - which isn’t true.

More and more frequently events I attend will send an email saying “join our FB group for up to date information“. Or a business won‘t have a “traditional“ website but only FB. I’m not on FB, Instagram, Twitter or anything else (— nor do I want to be -, but it is becoming exceedingly difficult to maintain this stance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom