Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

Dan Deesnee

They can't fly at full capacity. That's why air travel numbers are down, in part. They have to leave empty seats. Plus state quarantines, etc.

I have talked to hundreds of people in the past few months about vacations, etc. It's part of my job. Again, it's anecdotal but the demand to travel is there and many people are traveling, just not to Disney.

Why would Disney cut hours if there is travel demand? I answered that in my post. Guest safety and optics. How do you think Disney would look when people start posting packed photos of Main Street on social media?

I'm not saying that if they lifted the restrictions at Disney it would be flooded with people. It would be significantly more crowded than it is now though.

And the cheap flights. Their are always cheap flight deals to be found. We're flying down to Orlando in early November, $200 dollars round trip. About the same as last year.

Believe what you want. I have my opinions and I respect everyone else's on this forum :)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
From our experience over the past week, demand is low. Weve been walking onto everything except 7d and Pirates during rainstorms. The weekends are when the locals come out and the weekdays are dead.

brettf22

Premium Member
They can't fly at full capacity. That's why air travel numbers are down, in part. They have to leave empty seats

Who are “they” that “have to” leave empty seats? Some airlines have chosen to (like Southwest). But I assure you, this is not true for all airlines. My American flight down to MCO last week was packed. Every seat. And by flight home tomorrow has 2 seats available.

This is not to say that demand is anywhere near normal. American is simply reducing flights and packing the ones they have. I had to rearrange my schedule several times as they cancelled flights and shifted passengers to create packed planes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why would Disney cut hours if there is travel demand? I answered that in my post. Guest safety and optics. How do you think Disney would look when people start posting packed photos of Main Street on social media?
This makes no sense. They opened with longer hours in the summer and cut the hours. So are you saying something happened in the summer and they had to cut hours to improve the optics or safety? I could see making an argument that they won’t increase park capacity limits due to safety and optics, but it doesn‘t make any sense to cut park hours. That’s pure cost cutting as a result of low demand.

They can't fly at full capacity. That's why air travel numbers are down, in part. They have to leave empty seats. Plus state quarantines, etc.

I have talked to hundreds of people in the past few months about vacations, etc. It's part of my job. Again, it's anecdotal but the demand to travel is there and many people are traveling, just not to Disney.
Air travel is way, way down. Here’s the numbers from TSA:

Flight capacity is down due to empty seats, that I agree with. Planes are taking off less full than in the past, but there are also way less flights and soon that number will drop even further when the federal money expires at the end of Sept. Air travel overall is way down due to less demand. There aren’t large numbers of people who want to fly and can’t find flights, if anything demand is artificially inflated due to cheap seats on flights being ”made whole” by the government. It’s not surprising you know people who are flying. Nobody is saying no one is flying, just way less people than in the past and Disney in particular is built on the model of large crowds.

Hawg G

People GREATLY overestimate the average person’s desire to wear a mask in 100+ degree heat index humidity all day long.

I’ve traveled several times over the past few months and WDW isn’t even on my radar because of that lone reason. You can extend Epcot’s hours, have fireworks, and have Snow White give me a back rub and I’m not going to stand in that miserable soul-crushing humidity with a mask on all day.

(OK, if you can work out that Snow White thing, I may be open)

My college aged son is passing on an essentially free trip to Orlando because of masks. I’m not thrilled about them, but I’m one of those horrible people who drop it under my nose when no one is nearby. And we’ll be spending very little of out time at Disney, mainly because of their mask rules, and refusal to drop prices.

AmishGuy91

My college aged son is passing on an essentially free trip to Orlando because of masks. I’m not thrilled about them, but I’m one of those horrible people who drop it under my nose when no one is nearby. And we’ll be spending very little of out time at Disney, mainly because of their mask rules, and refusal to drop prices.

If you can’t adhere to the mask rules that you have to agree to at Disney, I hope you spend no time there

rowrbazzle

People GREATLY overestimate the average person’s desire to wear a mask in 100+ degree heat index humidity all day long.

I’ve traveled several times over the past few months and WDW isn’t even on my radar because of that lone reason. You can extend Epcot’s hours, have fireworks, and have Snow White give me a back rub and I’m not going to stand in that miserable soul-crushing humidity with a mask on all day.

(OK, if you can work out that Snow White thing, I may be open)
In those conditions it's not the mask that creates the discomfort.

brettf22

Premium Member
People GREATLY overestimate the average person’s desire to wear a mask in 100+ degree heat index humidity all day long

Wearing a mask all day was a huge concern of mine (second only to the whole, you know, virus thing). Spent a lot of time researching/testing best masks, mask frames, ear savers.

But I have to admit, it wasn’t as big a deal as I thought it would be.

YMMV, of course. But for me, I forgot about the mask most of the time. Never even visited a “relaxation station” all week.

scottieRoss

Demand is down. Here is the perfect example
I fly Spirit to Orlando from Austin.
Last fall, we made 3 trips.
We had the choice of 4 non-stop flights each day.
Now Spirit has 4 flights per week. 1 flight a day on 4 days and no flights on 3 days. That is it. 1/7 the flights to MCO from AUS and back.I can fly in October for 48 round trip and going down there are 9 seats taken and back there are 15 seats taken.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
LOL. They don't give a **** in the world about safe attendance. The care that they look like they are all about safety. If they truey want to fight covid-19 they should not reopen for a year or so. You guys really don't get business and how it works.
Whatever.
Here in SC we are over the mask crap. If you are next to death, it's choice whether you come out to play or not. The rest of us are coming out to play. Sorry but this whole thing is about people dying that don't have much to offer in the first place. The caravan always keeps going forward.
Another one. Absolute idiot.

(LOL)

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Demand is down. Here is the perfect example
I fly Spirit to Orlando from Austin.
Last fall, we made 3 trips.
We had the choice of 4 non-stop flights each day.
Now Spirit has 4 flights per week. 1 flight a day on 4 days and no flights on 3 days. That is it. 1/7 the flights to MCO from AUS and back.I can fly in October for 48 round trip and going down there are 9 seats taken and back there are 15 seats taken.
They have cut down that many flights and the ones flying half empty are only doing so because they took federal CARES Act money which prohibits them from laying off or furloughing workers. So if they have to pay the workers anyway the labor cost is removed from the analysis of break even for a flight to take off. Once 9/30 hits unless there is an extension that money goes away along with the restriction on layoffs and the airlines can/will lay off lots of workers and then we will see even less flights. Remember lots of people are no longer flying for business as well as leisure. Air traffic is way down overall.

JoeCamel

They have cut down that many flights and the ones flying half empty are only doing so because they took federal CARES Act money which prohibits them from laying off or furloughing workers. So if they have to pay the workers anyway the labor cost is removed from the analysis of break even for a flight to take off. Once 9/30 hits unless there is an extension that money goes away along with the restriction on layoffs and the airlines can/will lay off lots of workers and then we will see even less flights. Remember lots of people are no longer flying for business as well as leisure. Air traffic is way down overall.
I have a flight on 10/1 and it has been changed three times so far. Original non stop there and back but now a stop each way through hub. Wonder if I fly?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have a flight on 10/1 and it has been changed three times so far. Original non stop there and back but now a stop each way through hub. Wonder if I fly?
They are still fighting for the extension. It could happen any day now or not at all. Without an extension I think many of the less lucrative routes will see a lot more cuts, especially from discount airlines with no money sunk on hubs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom