Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Guess where this is from?

Avoid close contact
Particularly note the parts that are underlined (they are either hyperlinks or I added the underline - and remember again this guy is 79 years old, will be 80 in December). I don't know how you can possibly contend that he isn't following his own guidelines, and I don't think you are. Rather, what I think you're saying, is that you'd make an exception for him here. Well, all I'm saying is that I'd also like to go to a baseball game, sit beside a "close friend", and take my mask off. But again, guess what?
How can you advocate for the science behind this, and then just give him a free pass? It's really maddening to ponder how some people think.

If you follow anyone around, even someone who is medical expert, you are going to eventually spot them slipping up with mask etiquette. If Facui had been spotted many times doing something like this I would be more worried. Not to mention he sets a much better example in this respect them others in the administration.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
One of the points is that he's in attendance at a major league baseball game, which everyone who isn't in the ruling elite here in the U.S. is prohibited from going to. Another point is that he has his mask off "outside with no one else around", although many things he's said have contributed to polices at universities (and elsewhere), such as UCF here in Orlando, that prohibits this very thing.
And in that photo, I can clearly see both of his hands and there's no water in either of them..

But there is a bottle of water in his lap. Even the best of us isn't always going to get in the habit of, mask off, sip of water, mask on, mask off, sip of water, mask on etc, especially when you are sitting with just two people who you have regular, close contact with.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Realize this as well about medicine. We sometimes need to make decisions while lacking key information. Sometimes, this results in a favorable outcome, sometimes it doesn't. You can fall back on your clinical training, and consult the data, but ultimately, sometimes there is no by-the-book answer to a clinical question and you need to make a good faith decision. A bit like a Schroedinger's cat situation, really.

I would be much less inclined to trust Dr. Fauci if he hadn't changed his opinions and recommendations as our knowledge about COVID-19 evolves.

I am hard pressed to find anything that he said that was known to be wrong at the time he said it.

Heppenheimer

I'm a Buckeye fan, though I don't hang out on messageboards (which like this one bring out the diehards). There are certainly a few Covid-deniers (just like on these boards), but most people are pretty levelheaded about it. The cross section with football is about risk tolerance. It's really, really hard to see how it is safe for the University of Cincinnati to play football, it is safe for the Cleveland Browns to play football, and it is safe for every Columbus high school to play football, yet it is too dangerous for Ohio State to play football.
On the flip side, one could argue that only the Big 10 and Pac 10 made the safe choices. Time will tell.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Indeed. But consistency is what would make sense. If OSU can't play then certainly high schools shouldn't be able to play.
Yes and no. I think part of the issue with College football is thousands of people in the stands and tailgates and the party surrounding the games. You can ban tailgates but that won’t stop it. You could play the games without the fans but nobody wants that.

olie64

Indeed. But consistency is what would make sense. If OSU can't play then certainly high schools shouldn't be able to play.

I feel like for some reason ....”money” hs have been do just about everything that the cdc are saying not to do... we joke as educators covid stops at 3:20...joke as in why the heck are sports on when we are doing so much to keep the schools “safe”

hopemax

We’ve decided to ban “consistency” throughout this pandemic. That’s what people demanded, “You can’t treat every place the same.” So this is what we got. Free for all’s by organizations.

The consequences aren’t going to be known for a long time to know what was prudent or safe. The consequences of “not playing” are more immediate and extremely negative. It is always hard to be the one saying, “No.” And it’s hard to accept being told, “No.” We are getting front row seats to society’s abilities in those regards.

KaliSplash

Because sports is more important, of course (jk). Everyone wants to see people wearing my school's jersey's beat people wearing your school's jerseys. That's all that really matters in life, isn't it?:confused:

Animaniac93-98

Honestly, I think if we harnessed the same attitude towards this vaccine as we harassed in World War II, we’d likely find our way through this much better. Instead it’s all finger pointing and complaining about not being able to party at college or go to ball games.

The problem is it's been 75 years since WWII ended and in the time since we've had relative peace in the Western world coupled with a huge increase/advancement in modern luxuries and conveniences. Multiple generations have grown up not knowing a life without that and now it's harder to make sacrifices like temporarily giving those up.

Increased disinformation and a shift away from a more collectivist culture haven't helped either during this particular situation.

hopemax

The problem is it's been 75 years since WWII ended and in the time since we've had relative peace in the Western world coupled with a huge increase/advancement in modern luxuries and conveniences. Multiple generations have grown up not knowing a life without that and now it's harder to make sacrifices like temporarily giving those up.

Increased disinformation and a shift away from a more collectivist culture haven't helped either during this particular situation.
This is what I keep saying, long before the pandemic, but for all the growing unrest and nationalism in various places for the last decade. We've come to believe that a peaceful Europe; a peaceful West is the normal condition. One of the history authors DH follows made a joke in regards to the celebration of 75 years of peace, regarding the crossing of a certain river, by saying, "The previous record was like 6 weeks." It's dangerous with how much instability we are willing to intentionally create so that we don't have to think differently or make uncomfortable decisions. Stability is not easy, or a natural state. The pandemic should be an example of how fast the ground can shift. The "reversion to the mean" is going to be painful.

Kevin_W

Yes and no. I think part of the issue with College football is thousands of people in the stands and tailgates and the party surrounding the games. You can ban tailgates but that won’t stop it. You could play the games without the fans but nobody wants that.

Playing without fans (or very minimal) is exactly what is happening in all of sports right now. I think only 2 NFL teams will have fans and they will only have 10-15,000. Youth sports around here are restricted to family-only and in some cases, even a pretty limited # of family. It still allows the kids to play (and all the physical/social/mental benefits that come with that). And in the case of NFL/college it still allows for TV broadcast, which is a big chunk of $$ for the organizations (and arguably a better experience for the fans than watching live).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Playing without fans (or very minimal) is exactly what is happening in all of sports right now. I think only 2 NFL teams will have fans and they will only have 10-15,000. Youth sports around here are restricted to family-only and in some cases, even a pretty limited # of family. It still allows the kids to play (and all the physical/social/mental benefits that come with that). And in the case of NFL/college it still allows for TV broadcast, which is a big chunk of $$ for the organizations (and arguably a better experience for the fans than watching live).
The college football conferences that didn’t postpone the season are encouraging fans in the stands as a big component of the season. I think certain states won’t allow it. If Rutgers was playing I’m sure NJ would prevent it and most likely Syracuse isn‘t allowed in NY but most of the schools that went ahead with the season are in states with no issue with it and are planning to have fans.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Most you see are not from FL originally. Twas a joke. Although they trust people to pump their own gas there.
And in NJ, you aren't allowed to pump your own gas ( state law ) and some towns have blue laws- most stores are not allowed to open on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom