Abandoned Space Ranger Spin Effects?

Theme Park Nerdo

Original Poster
2D4AF98E-F83D-473C-9B45-3CF979C8F170.png86784BFC-F7E2-41C8-B521-D05F03529B6D.jpeg

I’ve noticed that the impressive swirling fog vortex effect hasn't been operating for quite a while. In fact, it appears many effects on Space Ranger Spin haven’t been working for a while, for example, the Astro Accelerator at the beginning used to rotate and in Planet Z, if you shot a nest, the stationary pterodactyl would actually fly around in a circle. The Escape Hatch sound effects has also been skipping like a broken record for the past few years now. They really need to refurb this ride for the 50th anniversary and restore it to its original 1998 glory.

rct247

The smoke effect often triggered the fire alarm system. The flying pterodactyl is stationary now so it doesn't fall. Last time I rode, the Alien-in-the-Box wasn't working.

thomas998

View attachment 496074View attachment 496075

I’ve noticed that the impressive swirling fog vortex effect hasn't been operating for quite a while. In fact, it appears many effects on Space Ranger Spin haven’t been working for a while, for example, the Astro Accelerator at the beginning used to rotate and in Planet Z, if you shot a nest, the stationary pterodactyl would actually fly around in a circle. The Escape Hatch sound effects has also been skipping like a broken record for the past few years now. They really need to refurb this ride for the 50th anniversary and restore it to its original 1998 glory.
I could ignore the effects if they would at least make sure all the cars work and all the guns work properly. When we go our family always rides it just to see who gets bragging rights on the highest score, but that can take several rides before everyone in our small family has gotten a ride where all the cars and guns actually worked.

Last edited:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

With the direction Tomorrowland has been going I wouldn’t be surprised if they were ready for a new dark ride. In place of Space Ranger Spin. I’d love to see a non IP classic but doubt that would ever happen.

NelleBelle

I could ignore the effects if they would at least make sure all the cars work and all the guns work properly. When we go out family always rides it just to see who gets bragging rights on the highest score, but that can take several rides before everyone in out small family has gotten a ride where the car and gun both actually worked.
*gasp* 😳You mean I might not be as bad as I am compared to my video game-addicted DH and teen sons--I might be able to blame my poor showing on the equipment??!! 🤔 I'm going to use that as my excuse next time we are go as a family! 😂

UNCgolf

I'd argue that it is the second most popular omnimover on property, behind Mansion.

Interestingly enough.

I like it more than Toy Story. I wish it would go down for a half year refurb.

That's not saying that much considering most of the great omnimover rides have been replaced. Spaceship Earth and Haunted Mansion are the only classics remaining (and both are much better than Space Ranger Spin).

Personally I think both Space Ranger Spin and Toy Story Mania should be demolished and replaced with something worthwhile, but I'd agree that Buzz is better than TSM. It's also the one that's far more likely to be replaced; TSM isn't going anywhere anytime soon (neither is Buzz, but it would happen before TSM).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That's not saying that much considering most of the great omnimover rides have been replaced. Spaceship Earth and Haunted Mansion are the only classics remaining (and both are much better than Space Ranger Spin).

Personally I think both Space Ranger Spin and Toy Story Mania should be demolished and replaced with something worthwhile, but I'd agree that Buzz is better than TSM. It's also the one that's far more likely to be replaced; TSM isn't going anywhere anytime soon (neither is Buzz, but it would happen before TSM).
You've still got Nemo and Mermaid to add for comparison. So I'd say out of 5 attractions that have the exact same ride system, being ranked 2 or 3 is pretty good.

I'd have to disagree with you. I consider both TSM and Buzz worthy attractions, simply because they're different from other attractions on property. We need a good shooting ride at the parks, and Toy Story is the perfect contender. The only reason why I like Buzz more is because it uses physical props and immersive set rooms rather than a screen here and a screen there. Sadly, like you said, Buzz would go first since Toy Story Land isn't over there.

UNCgolf

You've still got Nemo and Mermaid to add for comparison. So I'd say out of 5 attractions that have the exact same ride system, being ranked 2 or 3 is pretty good.

I'd have to disagree with you. I consider both TSM and Buzz worthy attractions, simply because they're different from other attractions on property. We need a good shooting ride at the parks, and Toy Story is the perfect contender. The only reason why I like Buzz more is because it uses physical props and immersive set rooms rather than a screen here and a screen there. Sadly, like you said, Buzz would go first since Toy Story Land isn't over there.

I agree that a good shooting ride belongs -- I just think Buzz is very old (and also out of place) and Toy Story Mania is an outdated video game in a big empty warehouse.

I'd prefer to see something that fits better in Tomorrowland go into the Buzz space, and replace TSM with some other kind of shooting ride that uses newer technology and isn't completely screens. It could even be an updated version of Buzz.

NickMaio

Buzz is fun and cute for very little people - - - but those people can't hit the targets because the lazer is so small.
It needs a refresh badly and a whole new shooting system.
You should be able to choose the age of the rider/player. Very young children should get an easier targeting system.
My guy would really love it if he could actually hit something.

Both Buzz and Midway Mania desperately need help.

Buzz also needs a new shooting device. It’s terrible and always has been.

Both need 4K projection and new goals.

I agree, on buzz needing a new shooting device because the ride won’t be accurate when you do hit the targets and almost every secondary gun in the ride doesn’t work. The 4K projection is needed during the vortex and it will be nice if they add some animatronics. Either then that why not just move it into Toystory land in hollywood studios.

Cmdr_Crimson

I agree, on buzz needing a new shooting device because the ride won’t be accurate when you do hit the targets and almost every secondary gun in the ride doesn’t work. The 4K projection is needed during the vortex and it will be nice if they add some animatronics. Either then that why not just move it into Toystory land in hollywood studios.
While it's suppose to be based on the opening of Toy Story 2. I had thought it was more based around the TV series instead as in that version Buzz was a Cartoon character and not his Toy Version of himself..The gift shop at one point reflected the other characters in the TV series..
Buzz-Lightyears-Space-Ranger-Spin_Full_3653.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom