D23 Epcot Forever Poster Series

begood524

I think we should wait to see if anyone even gets theirs. They could've cancelled the entire Illuminations release.
I'm thinking the same thing... I ordered both IllumiNations and the Millennium Celebration at 2:02 AM CST and I just got an email saying IllumiNations was cancelled.

Last edited:

Underdog

I’d love to see a Disney store rep tell me they sold 300 posters within a minute of them going live at 3am on Labor Day

See Below. I *hope* there is something else going on here, but I am not getting my hopes up. The other part of my order has shipped, however.

This is one of the frustrating things about my relationship with Disney. When I want to give them my money for something, they won't take it. Then, when I don't want to, there is no alternative . 😅😂

I'm not sure I want to 'reward' them by going after other 'limited edition' items on ShopDisney again.

Just spoke to phone CM at shopdisney. Unhelpful as expected. She claimed the prints sold out before my 3:01AM order. When I expressed skepticism that they sold out that fast, she said “you’d be surprised!”

Just spoke to phone CM at shopdisney. Unhelpful as expected. She claimed the prints sold out before my 3:01AM order. When I expressed skepticism that they sold out that fast, she said “you’d be surprised!”
If they truly ran out that quick... then why the randomness of the canceled orders? I have seen posts that orders placed minutes after release were canceled, yet later ones were not. Keep posting your time of order and status.

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
When checking an order status within a ShopDisney account, what are the status updates? Are they:

Pending / In Progress / Shipped or In Progress / Shipped?

Figments Friend

Wow....

Really sorry to hear about all the cancelled orders for the oversold 'Illuminations' poster.
:oops:

Has the entire run of that design been cancelled, or is it just the orders they deemed 'oversold over the 300 allowed' limit..?

Interesting to watch this from afar, and this observation will make me cautious if i attempt to order 'The Land' poster in this series when it is eventually released.

-

trainplane3

Can you expand upon this? I know nothing about how they are made, why wouldn't it be possible to redo a series they have done?
If you are wondering why these are so expensive, why they cant just print as many as they want, or why they look so darn good, check out these videos that show the screen printing process:

Each color is its own layer and its own pass. So for 300 posters if there are 10 colors thats 3000 passes for just American Adventure.

However, if they were hand pulling these like the video above the edition sizes would be way smaller and they'd be more expensive still. So they use a machine press like this:

As you can see each layer has to dry on a rack before the next can go on. So no way are they printing these after the orders come in. I think they spend the entire month between drops printing these. Cyclops has been kinda quiet this year releasing only like 2-3 other prints. I think this is why.

Finally, in this video you can see an artist describe the different layers and how they come together. This poster was printed at the same shop as the EPCOT ones. Probably on the same exact press.

Have a good one!

To add, the real posters are serigraphs. Looking at the real ones you'll see the edges are not perfectly straight if multiple colors are used:
O7qXn7Z.jpg

RM19XSd.jpg

It's because how the poster is "painted" on with each color being its own layer. Anything else isn't going to give you this. And with that, you'll get very obvious "lines" on parts that overlay another layer:
Zd3saqy.jpg

(edge of Figments head)
k5VtlHa.jpg

(edge of the colored triangles touching the dark solid blue)
Another example (you'll have to open this one up and zoom):
81hH0JQ.jpg

All of them have these "artifacts". It's a quick and simple way to tell a real one from a fake if you see (or have!) one without a number. Unless you get the silver paper (which is pretty easily available), get a very high quality image, and commission a printing place, you won't get this.

This is hilariously off:
s-l1600.jpg

To sum it up, they're literally painted on layer by layer. You need to let it dry in between layers and manually move them around. It's not a simple "start the printer up and go" routine.

Wow....

Really sorry to hear about all the cancelled orders for the oversold 'Illuminations' poster.
:oops:

Has the entire run of that design been cancelled, or is it just the orders they deemed 'oversold over the 300 allowed' limit..?

Interesting to watch this from afar, and this observation will make me cautious if i attempt to order 'The Land' poster in this series when it is eventually released.

-
It's looking like everything is getting nuked.

The_Jobu

I’d love to see a Disney store rep tell me they sold 300 posters within a minute of them going live at 3am on Labor Day

I tried to buy a Disney pin, set of 500. I clicked it the second (literally) they went on sale, and in the time it took me to type out my address it had been sold out of my cart and the whole line of 500. It really does happen.

thunderclap8

I think this happens pretty regularly for limited merch. When the Joe Rohde limited edition ears went on sale, they were sold out before they even went live on the site. In that case a link to purchase was discovered by bot-runners early somehow, and they snatched them all up. So far the posters hadn't caught the attention of the bot-owners, and I'd been hoping that would stay the case. But maybe it was inevitable.

Here's hoping the next release goes more smoothly, I'm feeling for y'all who ended up with cancellations. If I can just complete my classic Future World set, I'll be happy.

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
When do these usually start shipping?

With the exception of the Living Waters series release, all of mine have shipped within 2 - 5 calendar days.

The Living Seas
Purchased: Monday, April 6th
Shipped: Friday, April 17th

Germany
Purchased: Monday, June 1st
Shipped: Thursday, June 4th

Communicore & Universe of Energy
Purchased: Monday, July 6th
Shipped: Friday, July 10th

American Adventure
Purchased: Monday, August 3rd
Shipped: Saturday, August 8th

Morocco
Purchased: Thursday, August 13th
Shipped: Saturday, August 15th

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom