2020-Gaming discussion

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Hearing what’s going on with Madden 21 is ridiculous and I don’t even care for sports. I think it’s high time sports games adopt a generational model where one new game comes out at the beginning of the generation and is subsequently updated with new rosters and stuff throughout for FREE. Maybe charge for substantial additions like new modes or something idk. Ultimate Team modes become a separate free to play game that no longer resets every year with a new title. I know they could potentially make less money this way but in the end it might actually help them get their crap together and fix all the issues people complain about. From what I’ve seen they’re constantly selling the same game in a new package anyway so why not just stick to one title.

I didn't get Madden 21 for that reason. Debating NBA2K21 for that same reason.

Am grabbing Avengers this Friday and just remembered Tony Hawk is coming out Friday as well. Could pivot to Tony Hawk from NBA, but trying to hold out for NBA 2K.

Underdog

Hearing what’s going on with Madden 21 is ridiculous and I don’t even care for sports. I think it’s high time sports games adopt a generational model where one new game comes out at the beginning of the generation and is subsequently updated with new rosters and stuff throughout for FREE. Maybe charge for substantial additions like new modes or something idk. Ultimate Team modes become a separate free to play game that no longer resets every year with a new title. I know they could potentially make less money this way but in the end it might actually help them get their crap together and fix all the issues people complain about. From what I’ve seen they’re constantly selling the same game in a new package anyway so why not just stick to one title.

*I'm part of the problem* :oops: 🤦‍♂️😅

I've been playing football games almost as long as I've been playing video games and I have a long history with Madden.

EA now describes it as a 'live service' and while I get that, they could throw more resources at the entire package, and not just the MUT (& FUT for FIFA players) part of the package. However, since it's the most profitable part of the package, that's where the resources go. You'd think a company with the resources that EA has, they would be able to provide significant upgrades and advancements to the whole package and not just the most profitable part of the game. There hasn't been any significant change or upgrade to the franchise mode, which most, if not all, long -time Madden players spend a ton of time in.

The sad part is that the licensing situation doesn't allow for any other competitive titles from other companies, so if you want to play ball, it really is the only title to pick up.

I'm not a 'fan' of EA's business practices but they have some franchises that I am a fan of (Star Wars, mass Effect, Madden) and choosing which titles to support can be a conflict.

(have I missed posts about SW: Squadrons? No one interested in that???)

Mike S

*I'm part of the problem* :oops: 🤦‍♂️😅

I've been playing football games almost as long as I've been playing video games and I have a long history with Madden.

EA now describes it as a 'live service' and while I get that, they could throw more resources at the entire package, and not just the MUT (& FUT for FIFA players) part of the package. However, since it's the most profitable part of the package, that's where the resources go. You'd think a company with the resources that EA has, they would be able to provide significant upgrades and advancements to the whole package and not just the most profitable part of the game. There hasn't been any significant change or upgrade to the franchise mode, which most, if not all, long -time Madden players spend a ton of time in.

The sad part is that the licensing situation doesn't allow for any other competitive titles from other companies, so if you want to play ball, it really is the only title to pick up.

I'm not a 'fan' of EA's business practices but they have some franchises that I am a fan of (Star Wars, mass Effect, Madden) and choosing which titles to support can be a conflict.

(have I missed posts about SW: Squadrons? No one interested in that???)
A live service shouldn’t have yearly iterations. A live service theoretically probably shouldn’t even have sequels. When I think of a live service I think of the model used by Fortnite which I play. It’s a single game that’s constantly changed and updated for FREE and the only purchases made are cosmetic. Granted a studio can always choose to still keep a $60 purchase price and don’t have to make the game free to play but if you’re not sticking with just one title that’s constantly updated it just comes off as excessively greedy to use a live service micro transaction filled model for a game that is planned to be made obsolete by a sequel where anything you bought won’t carry over. Then it’s even more egregious for sports titles that are replaced YEARLY. Honestly I cannot understand how people sink so much into ultimate team when any progress they’ve made or cards they get will be made useless in a year.

erasure fan1

Honestly I cannot understand how people sink so much into ultimate team when any progress they’ve made or cards they get will be made useless in a year.
I can't believe people still shell out 60 bucks every year for basically new names on the uniforms. Every year I am dumbfounded how many copies Madden, Fifa, mlb the show... sell. The last time I bought a year to year sports game was NHL 93 and 94 on the sega genesis. Lol

Brer Oswald

Didn’t play the other Hyrule Warriors but I’m considering this one due to it being part of the story of Breath of the Wild.

I wasn’t at all a fan of the first Hyrule Warriors. I played 2 hours of it and never picked it up again. If you’re a fan of the Dynasty Warriors games, you should be fine. If you’ve never played them, well, hopefully you like this one. I can’t see myself getting it.

Underdog

I can't believe people still shell out 60 bucks every year for basically new names on the uniforms. Every year I am dumbfounded how many copies Madden, Fifa, mlb the show... sell. The last time I bought a year to year sports game was NHL 93 and 94 on the sega genesis. Lol

While I agree and understand your point, to a degree, I think it does simplify a lot of detail that lead to why some of the sports games are so popular.

For some sports fans, it's not simply about just playing the sport, it is about having your team under your control. The small details matter. You want to be 'in the world.' You want the new playbooks, the updated rosters, new uniforms, rules adjustments, Play by play announcers, & stadiums if they have changed. Historically, there were would be other significant game-play changes. (Does anyone remember the "QB vision cone?) The yearly updates also meant that if you wanted to play others online, you would need to be on the version most users were on too. Franchise modes allow fans to be 'in the world' by doing what their favorite team's management should have done.

Now, however, a lot of even those 'small' changes aren't being made. The neglect that the EA Sports has shown on Madden is amplified since they are the only professional NFL simulation game on the market. The same with NBA2K, since NBA Live is being 'retooled' by EA. Couple this with the added emphasis on micro-transactions and it's a horrible situation if you are a fan of sports sims on consoles.

The gravy on top was users finding that EA did a C&P on the entire franchise mode this year. There are screenshots of sideline graphics that still have the previous year on them. I get Q&A missing something, but to me, that's just lazy. Maybe the pandemic as well as working on next gen versions spread the team thin a bit. Still, they should have done better.

I don't really engage in the "Ultimate Team" modes in Madden or FIFA but I understand why people do and it's nice to see that some effort was put into developing a mode that get people into the game but maybe not heavily into the sim / franchise elements. But, they fact that the legacy parts, which helped build the brand but are now ignored, is why fans are turning on EA.

(Now, back to the Avengers campaign...)

Underdog

I'll probably get the Series S as it's the cheaper of the 2.

Business wise, I see what MS is doing and I wonder is Sony is concerned at all. I think if the PS5 is over $500, then maybe they are paying attention.

However, I was not sure I'd pick up an Series X and this doesn't really convince me to get a Series S either. Outside of Halo and Forza & maybe Sea of Theives, there aren't any other MS franchises / IPs that I'd want to play. Also, since this is an all digital machine, I can't bring the 5-7 1S games I have on disc over either.

Nice business move MS. Please provide some more franchises that personally interest me and you might get me on a Series X or S.

Mike S

While I agree and understand your point, to a degree, I think it does simplify a lot of detail that lead to why some of the sports games are so popular.

For some sports fans, it's not simply about just playing the sport, it is about having your team under your control. The small details matter. You want to be 'in the world.' You want the new playbooks, the updated rosters, new uniforms, rules adjustments, Play by play announcers, & stadiums if they have changed. Historically, there were would be other significant game-play changes. (Does anyone remember the "QB vision cone?) The yearly updates also meant that if you wanted to play others online, you would need to be on the version most users were on too. Franchise modes allow fans to be 'in the world' by doing what their favorite team's management should have done.

Now, however, a lot of even those 'small' changes aren't being made. The neglect that the EA Sports has shown on Madden is amplified since they are the only professional NFL simulation game on the market. The same with NBA2K, since NBA Live is being 'retooled' by EA. Couple this with the added emphasis on micro-transactions and it's a horrible situation if you are a fan of sports sims on consoles.

The gravy on top was users finding that EA did a C&P on the entire franchise mode this year. There are screenshots of sideline graphics that still have the previous year on them. I get Q&A missing something, but to me, that's just lazy. Maybe the pandemic as well as working on next gen versions spread the team thin a bit. Still, they should have done better.

I don't really engage in the "Ultimate Team" modes in Madden or FIFA but I understand why people do and it's nice to see that some effort was put into developing a mode that get people into the game but maybe not heavily into the sim / franchise elements. But, they fact that the legacy parts, which helped build the brand but are now ignored, is why fans are turning on EA.

(Now, back to the Avengers campaign...)
Repackaging the same game has been happening for years on Nintendo all the way back to the Wii when it comes to EA sports. This year wasn’t the first year for Madden on the other consoles though. Madden 19 logos were found in Madden 20 as well. A lot of the stuff you described for yearly updates could easily just be a patch for a single game. I also stand by what I said before that’s it’s about time Ultimate Team just became a separate free to play game. The fact you have to pay $60 to access it and all the packs and cards you buy with micro transactions are only good in one version of the game that’ll be obsolete in a year is beyond scummy. If Fortnite was anything like that I most likely wouldn’t have ever started playing it. The money I have put into it I feel is worth everything I’ve gotten plus the varying experiences of all the different seasons. I’m absolutely loving the Marvel season going on right now.

Underdog

Repackaging the same game has been happening for years on Nintendo all the way back to the Wii when it comes to EA sports. This year wasn’t the first year for Madden on the other consoles though. Madden 19 logos were found in Madden 20 as well. A lot of the stuff you described for yearly updates could easily just be a patch for a single game. I also stand by what I said before that’s it’s about time Ultimate Team just became a separate free to play game. The fact you have to pay $60 to access it and all the packs and cards you buy with micro transactions are only good in one version of the game that’ll be obsolete in a year is beyond scummy. If Fortnite was anything like that I most likely wouldn’t have ever started playing it. The money I have put into it I feel is worth everything I’ve gotten plus the varying experiences of all the different seasons. I’m absolutely loving the Marvel season going on right now.

Yep - EA always gave 'low effort' on recent Nintendo consoles, which is another reason I refuse to pay $40 for Burnout on my Switch.

I wonder what their business analysis shows if they broke up Madden (& other sports) into 'separate' games. The only reason I would even touch the 'MUT' part of Madden is because it's part of the same package.

I doubt that EA could get away with their business practices if Madden and Fifa didn't have the large fan bases they do. However, the goal of a business is to make money and they are making that on their sports games. Maybe some of the backlash this year, even from major outlets, gets them to try harder next time. I doubt it though.

I've been tempted to try the Marvel season of Fornite. Is the battle pass this season worth it for a Marvel fan who jumps in and out of the game?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom